Thread: Where pay for use on South Kenai side?

Default Where pay for use on South Kenai side?

Might be a dumb question, but better to appear dumb than to be dumb standing there with a ticket in your hand from the local constabulary. I havenít been down to the Kenai for a couple of years, but on the south side there used to be a pay gate just before the beach as well as a slef pay box down at the mouth. I normally park somewhere on the road side of the pay gate and take the 4 wheeler in from there. I always assumed that you could pay at either the entrance of the beach, or at the mouth and didnít have to pay for both as sometimes the pay booth isn't manned, but with the way things are going these days nothing is a sure bet. You are supposed to display your pay stub in the window of your vehicle, but if you park on the road side of the pay gate between Canary Road and the pay gate, or in the parking lot by the gate, assuming there is a parking spot, you obviously wonít have the pay stub with you if you 4 wheel down to the mouth. What is the accepted protocol these days as I know the local constabulary is always down at the mouth although they have never asked to see my pay stub. Very friendly folks by the way, but I donít care to see the unfriendly side.

There is a payshack right before going down onto the beach that you pay at in order for your 4-wheel drive vehicle to have beach access. There isn't a self-pay anything down at the mouth that I noticed and we walked all around down there yesterday. My husband paid to access the beach, but I parked in the parking lot and didn't pay. (rode down with him)

Hope that helps.

Be careful, tho, the sand is VERY soft. Saw someone stuck yesterday in their 4-wheel drive. However, many others had no problem.
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Default Thanks Kristie

1. Thanks Kristie, good to hear from folks like you that are more than willing to help with questions. I take my 4 wheeler, not 4 wheel drive down to the mouth as I am usually by myself and all the information I can get is much appreciated as I am driving from the Mat-Valley and I have found that it is a real bummer to drive that distance and wind up with terrible fishing as has happened before and I want to thank all of you that have offered your experience and advise to help out your fellow Alaskans.
    As to getting stuck, yep, I have seen that several times and I have also seen some pretty specialized stuff built especially for the purpose getting them out and I would imagine it isnít cheap, so I would recommend anyone even with a four wheel drive finding out exactly how to drive the sand before doing it. Probably isnít hard to find out how to do it properly, but the learning curve could cost way more than your gas to get there and back -- from Deadhorse.

Anyone care to weigh in on their opinion of Tuesday PM and Wednesday for trying my luck? I would love to head out right now, but am healing from a hand injury that sure doesnít need fish slime for a couple of more days. If you run into three coolers and a "D" style net cruising down the beach dwarfing an old Honda TRX 200 with a slightly weight challenged, balding old guy, that would probably be me, so say Hi -- if you can stop laughing long enough.

I also assume that parking along side the road before the pay shack is still ok if the lot is full. My understanding is that the charge is for beach access, not the parking. They used to have the self pay station by the Port-A-Pottys down at the mouth as well as at the pay gate for when it was unmanned.