Thread: Ninilchick Razor Clams

Default Ninilchick Razor Clams

I've got a limited time for vacation and we'd like to do some clamming. However the tide table only shows -1.1 ft low tide level for the days we're going to be down there. Will this be low enough for decent clamming?

no, afraid not.
    barely low enough for steamers....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default sure it is

It is enough. My first razors at Ninilchik last year were dug on a +.2 tide. I got them this year on a -.2 tide

-1.1 will be fine. Start right when the tide goes out and you will have enough time to get your 60.

We have packaged 70 pounds of razor clam meat this year and last night I found that I only have 1 bag of diggers left........of course we split them up with whoever we go with and if they are out of town they take all that we got that weekend. I have to go get the lil buggers again......If only I didn't have to clean them.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with 70 lbs. of razor clam meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do with 70 lbs. of razor clam meat?
    EAT THEM.
    I could eat them little buggers every day if I had enough.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we did three limits this spring on a -1 in about 2. 5 hours... then 6 hours cleaning them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cool looks like i'm wrong again....

go for it!!
    good luck, let us know how you do....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    we did three limits this spring on a -1 in about 2. 5 hours... then 6 hours cleaning them.
    why so long cleaning ? i am by no means an expert, a lady taught me to clean them by boiling for a few seconds to pop the shell then into a bath of ice water to prevent cooking them then trimming with scissors.

just curious, no disrespect intended....

yeah really vince, next time you are down we need to go dig a few... cleaning ain't that time consuming....
    hold on.... how many beers was that?

Default Go get em on any minus tide!!

You can dig clams on any minus tide. We dug 5 limits on a -1.2 tide two weeks ago. It took us three hours to get 5 limits. We were pushed back in by the tide and the last 20 clams were work. We went back the next day on a -1.5 and all of our backs were hurting from the clam gun and cleaning the day prior. We called it quits after three limits. My friend hit three limits on a -.5 the day prior.

You need to be in place ready to dig at 1.5 hours prior to low tide. Any earlier and the clam grounds are not available. We went 2.5 hours early both days so we could take pictures of the eagles and moose. Pretty cool to see a bald eagle catch seagulls in mid air and eat em up.

Clam digging is a blast. Those lil babies are awesome vittles to boot. If you have kids--take them. My kids beg me to take them clamming. Your kids will get dirty!

The whole family is well rehearsed in cleaning clams. It took us three hours to clean 5 limits.

As you drive to the North side of Ninilchik beach, right across the bridge some folks will clean your clams for you. They charge $30.00 a limit. The have a sign out in front of where they clean the clams. I would not clean a limit of clams for $30.00 myself. For the work in cleaning clams, $30.00 is a steal.

Let me know if you want more info. If you ask nice I will tell you where to go. We had a 16 pound per limit average both days. Very nice sized clams.

Default Do NOT over boil

One note to add. Do NOT boil your clams more than 5 seconds. Your clams will be like shoe leather when you eat them.

You want to blanch/boil them for seconds.

You MUST have boiling water for the blanching to work. If the water is not at a rolling boil the clams will not open up quick, and you will end up cooking the clams.

When the water is rolling-boiling the clams will open up before your eyes in seconds. Get those clams out of the hot water and into cold water as fast as you can to stop the boiling/cooking process. The clams will then almost fall out of the shells.

I have tried every trick known to try and get the clams to "clean" themselves out of sand. I have not found one trick that works. Just suck it up and clean the sand out when you are cleaning them. Getting the sand out is not hard. the time consuming part of cleaning is getting the poop out of the "butter" of the clam.

Good luck, and most of all have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post

I have tried every trick known to try and get the clams to "clean" themselves out of sand. I have not found one trick that works. Just suck it up and clean the sand out when you are cleaning them. Getting the sand out is not hard. the time consuming part of cleaning is getting the poop out of the "butter" of the clam.

!
    We let them soak in water and corn meal. Rinse them off in the inlet water, put them in container with clean cold water dump in corn meal. Do this 2 or 3 times (use fresh water after 1st time as long as its cold) and we have yet had to clean sand out of them while cleaning unless they had thier shells broke and/or were dead before 1st soak.