Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep training progress, gear, and favorite training routes

Default Sheep training progress, gear, and favorite training routes

How is your sheep training going?
    Mine started late, and have done zero running, but am getting in good time on the trails w/ my pack. I worked up to a 7.4 mile hill hike on Saturday w/40+lbs. Did it in just under 3 hours moving time. Hope to get in a hard day tomorrow (Snyd, look for me at Birch Hill), light day Friday, and a butt kicker this weekend.
    What is your favorite training routes?
    In Fairbanks, I like Birch Hill. I hit all the Black Diamond trails (Cross, Hole, Comp Loop, etc) and kick up to Russell's Revenge and crawl up the Tower. Don't know what the elevation gain is, but I am breathing hard enough that the trees bow in. The UAF trails offer light terrain for recovery days or distance. My Butt Kicker is Ester Dome. I head out from the power line over the top, and drop down past the Equinox Marathon turn around. Once I get to my end point, it is all back up hill, and I do it without resting if possible. I am thinking about going out to Fox and hitting the pipeline route up that steep hill.
    Any new gear?
    I just picked up a pair of La Sportiva Trango Trex GTX boots. Talk about a score. $180 on sale for $40. BABY! And I like them so far. Also hope to score on some Sitka Gear Digital Camo here shortly. (Hey Labman, you listening?)
    Favorite training partner?
    While I enjoy hiking with my hunting buddy, due to work schedules we only get together a couple times a week. My go to partner is my 1 year old female yellow lab. She loves it, and I enjoy our time together. Besides, she gives me a reason to stop so I can pull out the water and hydrate her. Without her I'd have to keep moving.
    Training tip?
    I carry jugs of water for weight. If I get tired or sore I can start dumping excess weight w/out losing something valuable. If the dog gets overheated, I have lots of water to cool her down and there is no reason for me to ever get dehydrated.
    I need to carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol and swabs to use on her feet if she overheats also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Mine started late, and have done zero running, but am getting in good time on the trails w/ my pack. I worked up to a 7.4 mile hill hike on Saturday w/40+lbs. Did it in just under 3 hours moving time. Hope to get in a hard day tomorrow (Snyd, look for me at Birch Hill), light day Friday, and a butt kicker this weekend.
    In Fairbanks, I like Birch Hill. I hit all the Black Diamond trails (Cross, Hole, Comp Loop, etc) and kick up to Russell's Revenge and crawl up the Tower. Don't know what the elevation gain is, but I am breathing hard enough that the trees bow in. The UAF trails offer light terrain for recovery days or distance. My Butt Kicker is Ester Dome. I head out from the power line over the top, and drop down past the Equinox Marathon turn around. Once I get to my end point, it is all back up hill, and I do it without resting if possible. I am thinking about going out to Fox and hitting the pipeline route up that steep hill.
    Any new gear?
    I just picked up a pair of La Sportiva Trango Trex GTX boots. Talk about a score. $180 on sale for $40. BABY! And I like them so far. Also hope to score on some Sitka Gear Digital Camo here shortly. (Hey Labman, you listening?)
    While I enjoy hiking with my hunting buddy, due to work schedules we only get together a couple times a week. My go to partner is my 1 year old female yellow lab. She loves it, and I enjoy our time together. Besides, she gives me a reason to stop so I can pull out the water and hydrate her. Without her I'd have to keep moving.
    Training tip?
    I carry jugs of water for weight. If I get tired or sore I can start dumping excess weight w/out losing something valuable. If the dog gets overheated, I have lots of water to cool her down and there is no reason for me to ever get dehydrated.
    I need to carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol and swabs to use on her feet if she overheats also.
    Well I'm reading this, drinking a crown and coke, sitting on my rump. I guess my training isn't going as well as your's is! Great job, and good suggestions! Good luck this year!

oh I forgot..................listening to Country Boy Can Survive, by Hank Williams Jr...............................Good stuff! I should come up with an Alaskan spin off! I live back in Salcha you see, the women, and the kids, and the dogs, and me. I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive! Didn't have to change to much so far!

Default Eagle River sheep training

I haven't been doing as well as I would like, but it is picking up. I've been working a little all summer, but I'm now kicking it into high gear. I ref hockey 1-2 times per week, ride my bike around Eagle River and hike a little locally.

My favorite so far in the Eagle River area is Mt. Baldy. I need to bring my GPS with me next time, I would guess it is about a 1,500-2,000 elevation gain. It takes me 45-60 minutes to get to the top without trying really hard.

I have been lightening my load this year. Basically just fine tuning by finding some heavy items in my pack that I can exchange for lighter gear. I have swapped out an old camo fred meyer tarp shelter with a Hilleberg 10 UL that I bought last night, an MSR dromendary (like a camelback), and an Ultrapod II tripod. I should have as much as a 5# weight reduction there.

As for a training partner, I do as much of this as I can with my dog Wilco.

I use 25# bags of lead shot for adding weight to my pack. If I want a really easy day, I'll leave them at home, for a moderate day I'll grab one bag and for a tough day I'll grab two of them. I was thinking I might bring 3 with me eventually, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Maybe I'll be up for that just before I go to the field.

Any new gear?
    Training tip?

....I really like your packing the jugs of water idea,for training weight...-that's awesome!
    -neat to hear your training regimine-I like threads like this-

-I hate running, but Mt Marathon is a great place to train for sheep season,down here...-
    -usually, after the 4th though, I like to get up into the bowl of Mt Alice, the Lost Lake trail, or Crescent, etc .-and hunt for black bear while training-(can't do that on Mt Marathon, obviously-)

-my man and I usually have to take turns, and train/bear hunt individually (b.c. kids)-to get a good consistent workout...-but, at times we'll go together and bring them along- a kid in a back carrier is a good weight to pack, as well-

-I don't really have any training tips-
    -I know for me, though, I like to stop, and practice shouldering my rifle and holding still it for long periods of time (away from people)- every now and then, while my blood is pumping, and legs shaking-
    (same with the bow)

Any new gear?
    Training tip?

Training is going good... There for a while I was pack training 4 days a week. Earlier this spring is when I was hitting the gym and running.. Now its just plenty of water during the day and pack training. Though I havent done anything in the past week. But I know Im still good to go.

There for sometime before I went home to NC to visit, I was pack training with Synd and Shane (silvertipgriz). We were meeting every tues at birch hill. Good 3.1 mile hike. I havent seen then for sometime up there..

New gear- I have purchased alot of new gear this year. I sold alot of my older hunting gear and had to take advantage of the Pro deals that Ive been fortunate to have!!--
    - Bought the new Sitka gear stormfront rainsuit, base layers, gloves, hat, ascent pant- All in the new OPTIFADE- Amazing camo and lightweight!!

-New barneys Pinnacle pack and freighter frame- Like it so far..
    -MSR Hyperflow- cant wait to use it in the field
    -Lowas GTX extremes- Love em!!
    -Black diamond cork handled trek poles-very light weight and durable
    -Mountain hardwear compressor jacket with hood- Had the original jacket but sold it because I wanted the hooded one- Absolutely love the jacket and the pants-light and keep you warm!!
    -Big agnes 25 degree primaloft bag
    - I think thats about it...

- Tips I like to train with my gear in my pack minus the food- to compensate for the food and adding weight I use used milk jugs full of water.. For some reason I like my gear in my pack, I think its just a mental thing while training... I also like to unpack everything from my pack after most trains because I repack it again before each train, some might think this is a pain in the butt, but I like doing this because I learn a new thing or two about repacking almost everytime. Also gives me a sense of time of how long it will take me to unpack/repack out in the field.

As for now that is it- Is August 7th here yet!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone, and most importantly be safe and enjoy the beauty of this state, most of us are doing this every year, while others save up a life time!!!

James
    Last edited by bohntr21; 07-16-2009 at 11:22. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    .... a kid in a back carrier is a good weight to pack, as well-
    Did this up hatcher pass on tuesday with my almost two year old. It was instantly my favorite way to pack weight (he's about 27 pounds and add some water and gear for the hike and I'd have a 30+ pound pack). Hauled him about a mile before my almost 3 y/o girl needed a boost and carried her another 1.5 miles on my shoulders (oh how I appreciated the kid carrier after hauling my girl just on my shoulders).

We did the Gold Cord Lake hike. Pretty easy but was off the trail most of the way up. This was about max for the fam (7 month pregnant wife and 2 kiddos). I'm hoping to take my boy out more when I'm home next week and get in shape while having fun with my kids! Its nice to have someone to talk to..."Ya havin' fun, buddy?" "Yeah, fun..blankie!!" (had to backtrack for it )

Default My (Lack of Progress) Progress

This winter killed me and I ended up gaining 20 lbs. I have since lost 15 lbs this summer. I ended up not running for the entire cold spell. I have worked to catch back up. I have taken a page from the trainers for big mountains running 6 miles in under an hour. I run my hill trail that goes along side McGrath then up Crystal to Sleepy Hollow trail on Vail View then I run all the way up the powerline to Eagle. I cross down eagle and run down that steep cut all the way to McGrath road and head for home.

My distance course is along side farmer's loop on the bike trail. If you see a brushy looking caveman type dude with an old red pitbull(she's 11) and a pug around 11-12 midnight. You've got me. I run 10 min miles(dogs slow me down but they live through the winters for this.) and I have extended to eight miles three times per week and 12 miles on my long run. I am young (40) but I am a XXL size so I am careful about tendons and knees and I am not packing stuff yet.

I am going down to Chitina for three weeks and I have tons of courses and things to do down there. I have the slide which is a 2 mile 3000 ft climb behind 1 mile lake. I also have the trail system to lost lake which is about five miles. The Chitina stuff will peak me out.

I also lift twice per week. squats(30repsX315) Bench (275X6repsX6sets with 30 sec breaks) Cleans(can't do them at PF under wife's account so I do them at home 215X6X6 sets). Pullups 4 sets of 20, 15,15,10. On weight days Cross train on bike and elliptical training machine for 30 min.

I go shooting at least 1 per week. I shoot a lot of 22lr and 223. I shoot my hunting rifle every other week.

I bought hanwags Trapper GTX, arteryx Alpha LT(SAC), jetboil pcs, and a windstopper Patagucci fleece top.

I really have two months to go because I can go goat hunting during labor day week which is later this year.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default Sheep shape

I've been doing the workouts on crossfit.com since mid-march, and I've never been in better shape. The Butte or Lazy Mountain have never been so easy. I always thought that I was in good shape, but this stuff is a butt kicker.
    Bob

Hunt-AK has the best load of all of us. Very nice use of time. Taking the kids rock.
    AKsheephuntress has great natural terrain right out the back door. I wish we had a bit more like that close by. Oakman has it made too.
    Nice song Hoyt. I like the style. Not much of a C&C guy, but seems like you are having fun no less.
    K-68, you and a pug seem like an oxymoron. The old pitbull fits the picture. The pug is a stretch. Man, you move more weight in a rep than I do all year. Wish I was 40 again. Sounds to me like you are ready to head up hunting today!
    I'll have to look at the workouts Teri talks about. Not that I like working out. Hiking, walking, and some running I can get through. The upper body needs help, I know, but I am hoping it will happen magically for me.
    Bo-21 gets the nod on new stuff. Just be sure to use it all before you go. Our supersition is "nothing new goes on the trip except ammo and food". Just feels like too much bad Karma to take something out of a package for the first time. Yeah I know, batteries, yada yada. Few exceptions do exist.
    My wife comes in from MI this weekend. Hope to get her out with me for my 10 mile jaunt w/ pack. I don't have a real training schedule, so if anybody thinks they want to try and get together around Fairbanks just give a yell.

A typical traning day for me involves a cardio workout, which is usually a 10 mile bike or a similar rollerskiing session. A lot of times I'll bike or rollerski to the gym where I start out with abs using a med ball. For me, abs is an extremely important muscle group that people tend to overlook. Next on my circut is bench press, where I'm currently doing 6 reps at 200 pounds. Then I do weighted pull ups with 40 pounds. The last section is seated rowing(not a machine), where I'm currently doing 6 reps at 210 pounds. Depending on the day, I'll do 4 or 5 sets of this circut. I don't do much for legs, mostly because I do so much cardio, but I'll go out with the pack, which is like leg presses, and I'll do lunges and other exercises that involve balance.

At a minimum, I try to work out at least 11 hours a week. I'm not in the greatest shape of my life, but I feel like I'm doing pretty darn well. So far my only hiccups have been a flat tire and a not so pretty rollerskiing accident, which caused me to take a few days off. But I'm back baby!!

Hmm, I have what 389 days to go.... I have my McHale Demo pack and have been packing it around a bit. Did 3.5 miles w/ 70 lbs the other day, wanted to go further but it was getting late. The downfall for me is this blasted hot flat dusty country! I can say a lot for just walking. I walk everywhere. I make up reasons to walk a mile or two. I eat whatever I want and walk all the time. I got here January 27th and I have walked the bottoms out of 1 pair of shoes and another 2 are nearly worn out. I have dropped 27lbs from a high of 272 when I got here to an even 245 now. I am hopeful to be down to 225 by next season which will bring my total weight loss to about what my 10 day hunt starting pack weight is! So when I hit the mountains it should feel like I have nothing on my back at all.<grin> I have also dropped 2 pant sizes and will have to have Dan make a smaller belt for my pack cause this one is just about out of adjustment room!
    For those of you like me who are way out of shape and think you can't get there with little steps. Walking is low impact and it has worked wonders for me so far. I am not talking about packing either, just 2 legs reg'lar clothes hiking boots and a few miles of road or sidewalk.

My training for sheep season revolves around backpacking as much as possible on my time off the slope and one hour everyday on the eliptical trainer everyday while on the slope. Granted I do nothing for weight training, but I just get so much more out of the cardio and leg workout for backpacking than I have ever been able to tell with weight training. I'm sure both would be ideal, but then I'd lose my whole base for weight training on my two weeks off while backpacking with my wife so whats the point anyways right ....atleast thats what I tell myself. HAHA

Anyways, Hunt_AK if you need someone to haul "buddy's" sis while you are hauling him around give me a hollar I have a feeling she'll love the views from standing inside Barny's Hunter bag.

Going good. Been hiking Birch Hill with a pack since early June once or twice a week. Up to 70+ lbs now. Been squating about once a week and doing some upper body weight training and some rigorous cycling as well. I'll call you next week Greg.

Birch Hill up to the towers, down the FWW side and back up and over. The other day we did a little exploring and ended up below the tank farm and came up the power line. It was a good hump.

Any new gear?
    A red one of these

Hilleberg Tarra

Oh, and some 180gr TSX handloads for my 325wsm

My wife. Sorry Shane, James, Greg, Roland and the rest James, maybe I'll run into you this week. Probably hike at 4:30 on tuesday.

Training tip?
    Throw in some more weight and when you feel like stopping keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

Anyways, Hunt_AK if you need someone to haul "buddy's" sis while you are hauling him around give me a hollar I have a feeling she'll love the views from standing inside Barny's Hunter bag.
    Yeah, maybe you can come over and we can give it a test-run just around the house to see if they'd be up for that. If she isn't, maybe he will be...

Right now I'm just training my broken leg to walk without a limp!

But, in Anchorage, I like Falls Creek. It's down the Seward Highway just beyond Windy Point.

Used to like Falls Creek, I should say...

Taylor

Default my butt is dragging

My goal today was 10 miles in the hills w/ 40 lbs. The out and back trail I took only went 4.4 miles, so guess 8.8 total for the day is good enough. The new Trango Trex boots seem to be working pretty good. Need to remember to tighten down the laces good.
    A tip from Labman. When using trekking poles, keep some duct tape (or H2O Proof atheletic/first aid tape) wrapped around the poles up near the grips. If you start getting hot spots, tear off some tape and wrap the spot.
    Remember to hydrate and eat before you get thirsty and hungry.
    I used a sweat band for the first time ever. What a difference to not have sweat rolling down into my eyes and all over my glasses.
    I need to figure out if my Rino GPS will show elevation gained/lost. That would be better info than top speed, avg moving speed, avg total speed, etc.

Man Greg, I wish I knew you were doing this.....Dont think my fall is going to include hunting at all right now, but the work out would be nice....I'd be holding you back now though ugg! Time to hit the gym finally...

Default Uuuggggghhhhh

That is the best I can describe it. I ran tonight. I mean a 2 groove in the sand, butt dragging, wind sucking, tree bending ordeal of an effort I will liberally label as running. My first attempt of the year. If I had enjoyed it, I guess I could be labeled a masochist. But I doubt it will ever make my top 10 list of things to do, unless of course I elevate it above root canals. I am still trying to figure out where the purple spots on front of my eyes came from, and where they went. For a brief moment I thought it was the angels come to take me.
    I can only call what I did running because I tried to keep one foot in the air at a time. More likely from an outside observer's perspective it looked more like some sort of an apoplectic fit punctuated by wheezing, snorting, and the occasional carpenters blow. (I think I got some on my dog as I was too tired to aim.)
    Much to my horror there were a myriad of hikers, walkers, and real runners there to witness my flailing arms and legs as I tried to run the hills. The looks on their faces were mostly sympathetic. One old guy (older than me anyhow) grinned when he noted my distress. Guess he figured compared to me he had it made.
    My apologies to all the other people at the UAF trails who ended up short on oxygen tonight. I used up more than my share.
    My wonderful son, superb athlete that he is, said, "dad, you need to cross train." "You need to teach your body to not get used to just one training regimen." "I suggest you do some intervals." Sadist. Can't for the life of me figure out where he got such a mean streak.
    No intervals about it. I just did a 35 minute death something or other. There was no sprinting, no recovery periods. Just misery. Oh brother, give me a heavy pack and a hill.

Default I know the feeling.

I can sympathize with you River Rat. I started out easy this weekend doing the Kenai Shuffle during low tide. I think I put in a good 10 miles of water aerobics with some net lifts thrown in for good measure. The routine was sporadically broken up with some drag and run up the beach followed by the stick lift and thrust (fish be good). Last night was the first real workout with 2 hour hike starting with a climb up Baldy in Eagle River and hiking the ridge toward Ptarmigan Rocks and a fast descent back to the parking area. I was really sucking wind on the way up and my lab just laughed at me every time I stopped to rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast