View Poll Results: The Alaskan animal I most enjoy hunting is.....

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moose

27 16.17%
  • Brown/Grizzly Bear

25 14.97%
  • Dall Sheep

42 25.15%
  • Caribou

19 11.38%
  • Mountain Goat

9 5.39%
  • Black Bear

16 9.58%
  • Blacktail Deer

16 9.58%
  • Elk

9 5.39%
  • Bison/Musk Ox

0 0%
  • Wolves

4 2.40%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Animal to Hunt?....

Default Favorite Animal to Hunt?....

Okay guys, lets see what the poll numbers reveal about our hunting passion here in Alaska.
    Vote for the animal you most enjoy to pursue, (or that you dream about hunting).
    We kept this poll to Alaskan game; we all know the incredible variety present here....

Frank

I voted Sitka Blacktail deer........Can't think of a hunt that wrangles my imagination and stir's my spirit more than sneaking through the mystical rainforest of a remote island in SE AK pursuing the shy Sitka Blacktail.

Have yet to hunt them on Kodiak, that might change this fall!

-Ron

Thumbs up favorite AK animal to hunt

SHEEP - Duhhh...not for everyone...seems people either hunt sheep once and never do it again, or every year. I think it is something about the mountains as well as the particular animal.

Thumbs up Toss-up

I'm split between sheep and caribou. You can hunt both on the same mountain, but caribou... well they're so beautiful to watch, they have outlandishly huge antlers and there's so many of them! I'm hoping to get a video out soon on an Arctic caribou hunt I did a while back. Check out this link for a preview. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to watch the video. I think you'll agree with me on caribou! Dall sheep are a special animal indeed though. Tough choice.

The photo is a small herd we ran into on the upper Aniak one year. We didn't shoot any of them, it was cool to just watch them go by...

Great poll!

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I voted moose. Nothing else comes remotely close.

Thumbs up Definitely Sitka Blacktail

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1
    I voted Sitka Blacktail deer........Can't think of a hunt that wrangles my imagination and stir's my spirit more than sneaking through the mystical rainforest of a remote island in SE AK pursuing the shy Sitka Blacktail.

Have yet to hunt them on Kodiak, that might change this fall!

-Ron
    Could not agree more wholeheartedly!!! I went on my first blacktail deer hunt last fall in Southeast. I can honestly say that it blew every hunt I've ever been on out of the water. Just my humble opinion.

Cool Ahhh, another tough poll to answer

Though I love being in the sheep mountains, there's nothing more exciting to me than watching a 1500lb bull moose tear the countryside up with a those huge antlers while coming to call!! Even though I love sheep meat more than moose, I voted for moose since this was a hunt poll and not an eating poll!

Default Favorite hunt

I would definitely have to say moose, nothing like an animal the size of a minivan a few yards away.

Doug

Default Deer

I have to go with Sitka Blacktail. There's nothing like hunting in the woods on a remote island! Great eating too.

nothing more primal than a predator hunting a predator, i went with brown/grizzly. tight second would be mt goat. all the fun of mountian hunting with more game, shorter packs and higher success rate. love the sheep, but as a guide my personal hunts have to be short....i think my family wants to see me sometimes

Talking Never would have guessed!!

Jake, never would have guess that brownies are your favorite!! You going back out for another shot at a brownie?

Default sheep

I first hunted sheep in 1970. I still enjoy sheep hunting, the magnificent country and the sparse to non existant human encroachment.

Les

Black bears. actually any bear in general. I just love bear hunting.

As for me! Got to be Elk in the rut with a bow! Nothing like sneaking in a herd of cows getting close enough to that bull so that he is bugling in your ear at 10 yards, sending a cold chill down your spine as he stares you right in the eyes.

Eventhough I havnt taken one yet my vote was for Wolf/Coyote. Its a small animal that can be hunted spur of the moment. It doesnt require nearly as much planning as a Moose or Caribou hunt. Everytime I call one in or hear them howl after a call it gets my blood pumping.

Default Definitely Deer

I had to vote deer. Long season, generous bag limit, you can find them anywhere from sea-level to mountain top, just so many conditions to hunt them in from high early season buck hunt, to late season meat hunt. And as was said before, nothing like being out on the islands, whatever part of the state you hunt them in. And a nice bonus is they're just the right size where a guy can handle one by himself and get it out in one trip when you're successful. And if you hunt from a boat, it's usually a downhill pack or drag.

I have to say also that I really appreciate a good upland bird hunt whether it's grouse or ptarmigan.

Default Up in the Meadows

It doesn't get any better than this

Great photo's twodux!

-Ron

I voted for Blacktail Deer also. Those pictures bring back some memories, it's been too long since I've been back to the islands.

Default Sheep

I vote for sheep, but I have yet to hunt one. I have lost some sleep thinking about it, and come August 07, I will be in the promised land pursuring the mighty Dall ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast