Thread: Wife heard no camping rumor for South side of kenai mouth?????

Default Wife heard no camping rumor for South side of kenai mouth?????

Hey, we are heading down to dip next week. My wife just told me she heard through the grapevine that you could no longer camp on the beach on the south side of the kenai mouth. Is there any truth to that? I'd be real suprised but I want to make sure before we go down. Anybody?

Default Not true

City of Kenai is charging $15 to do it, but you can camp on the beach.

Might be a dumb question, but better to appear dumb than to be dumb standing there with a ticket in your hand from the local constabulary. I havenít been down tto the Kenai for a couple of years, but on the south side there used to be a pay gate just before the beach as well as pay boxes down at the mouth. I normally park somewhere on the road side of the pay gate and take the 4 wheeler in from there. I always assumed that you could pay at either the entrance of the beach, or at the mouth and didnít have to pay for both as sometimes the pay booth isn't manned, but with the way things are going these days nothing is a sure bet. You are supposed to display your pay stub in the window of your vehicle, but if you park on the road side of the pay gate between Canary Road and the pay gate, or in the parking lot by the gate, assuming there is a parking spot, you obviously wonít have the pay stub with you if you 4 wheel down to the mouth. What is the accepted protocol these days as I know the local constabulary is always down at the mouth although they have never asked to see my pay stub. Very friendly folks by the way, but I donít care to see the unfriendly side.

Default everywhere

there are tents everywhere on the south beach - last weekend there was anyway.

There are plenty of people camping down there. I don't know if the charge is different or what, but it is definitely allowable. People were camping down there a couple of days before dipnetting even opened....waiting for the opener.
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan