Thread: Sportsman's to Jims

Default Sportsman's to Jims

I am drifting from Sportsman's to Jim's on Sunday. What have the trout been taking? I have been told that dry flies and nymphs are hot and beads will be good after the second run of reds makes it up to the Russian. This will be my first float on my new drift boat and i am just looking for some pointers. We will also be trying for a few Red's for dinner that night.

Default Crazy Stuff Man Crazy Stuff

I spent 4 great days floating that same section you will have a blast.

Belive it or not I fished Glo Bugs i.e. the use to be egg pattern prior to melted eggs, beads and the like and had reasonable sucess fishing the island through the Power Line Hole i.e. Fly Fishing only water. Micro Flesh also worked well i.e. size 8 flesh flies. We also picked up a few fish with Woolley Buggers in that section as well.

Once we it the spreads down to the take out Beads 6 MM and Micro Flesh worked fine.

I am sure others have different ideas and methods this is what we used and had a reasonable fishing trip.

Best wishes and Tight Lines

Blue Moose

Wink Dry flies.

Take 2 trout rods with you. Rig one with a nymph or bead and the other fly rod rigged for dry flies. In the morning the large trout are coming out and feeding heavy on floating bugs. It is a blast and a half when when they hit a dry fly and some of them are not baby sized. Tight lines.

All in all the trip was alot of fun. We fished reds. Seemed like the guys trout fishing were not doing so hot. I did see someone fishing reds snag a 20-25" bow and caught a big dolly on a coho fly. Most of the reds had already turned but we caught a few bright ones. I definatley would like to try fishing some dry flies. I saw a bunch of live flies floating down the river. I think we will leave earlier next time to catch the early morning trout. We used Wildman's shuttle and that turned out to be a great deal. Just bring an extra key and they drive your vehicle from sportsman's to jim's for $25. Save alot of time driving 2 vehicles.

wow Kenai fish rising to bugs! I wanna see that!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

It has been happening this year. I was there 2 weeks ago and there was a Mayfly hatch. It was like the Royal Fork buffet where we were at. I was on the back channel of the Bear briads and there we no less than 20 bows and dollies and they were rising and just pigging out. It sure was fun to watch
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    All in all the trip was alot of fun. We fished reds. Seemed like the guys trout fishing were not doing so hot. I did see someone fishing reds snag a 20-25" bow and caught a big dolly on a coho fly. Most of the reds had already turned but we caught a few bright ones. I definatley would like to try fishing some dry flies. I saw a bunch of live flies floating down the river. I think we will leave earlier next time to catch the early morning trout. We used Wildman's shuttle and that turned out to be a great deal. Just bring an extra key and they drive your vehicle from sportsman's to jim's for $25. Save alot of time driving 2 vehicles.

I use wildmans all the time. They have been safe and honest and I have never had and issue with them. I also keep an extra key on file with them just in case I ever lose mine or lock mine in the truck or pull some dumb stunt like that. I have left cash, laptop, etc in the truck and never has anything come up missing. It is worth it to me and it is only 40 bucks if you want them to shuttle you from the bridge to jims. Money well spent knowing your rig is there after a long hard day on the water

Not mayflies, brother. Caddis!

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Not mayflies, brother. Caddis!

ooooppps blonde moment there my bad and thanks

Yesterday I saw some little green critters with white tear shaped wings. Any entomologist out there? Picked up a couple of real nice Dollies on bigger smolt patterns. Definately saw fish rising.

Yep, they are caddis flies. On the warmer days the Kenai has large hatches, particularly in early summer. I've caught countless rainbows and dollies on small (size 12-14) elk hair caddis, crow beetles and various mosquito patterns. The back channel is a great place to dry fly fish. Also, back in the late '80s I was fishing to some rising fish during a hatch. Thought they were trout or char. Ended up reeling in a beautiful 18" grayling. Figured the grayling are escapees from Crescent Lake. Caught him from that gravel bar about half mile above Jim's. Big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    Yesterday I saw some little green critters with white tear shaped wings. Any entomologist out there? Picked up a couple of real nice Dollies on bigger smolt patterns. Definately saw fish rising.
    FYI, the Kenai does hatch stonflies too. They are less numerous than the caddis hatches. Tight lines.

Default There are all kinds of aquatic insects in the Kenai...

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post

Remember this.. Wings stright up and flat = mayfly, wings long and make a tent = caddis, and stoneflies wings lay flat against the body... I have seen very small black stoneflies coming off the Kenai at Chrismas time...

So what is the best dry fly for late July and Early August? I have a shopping cart full of Caddis 12 and 14 from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. Should I add some stone flies or others to the mix?

Default interesting enough

I have been catching tagged fish out of the kenai? Is fish and game doing a study on some of the rainbows? i have caught atleast 4 rainbows that were tagged... they are the green tags below the dorsal fin in the pictures shown below

Can anybody elaborate?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00260.jpg   IMG00261.jpg  
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    I have been catching tagged fish out of the kenai? Is fish and game doing a study on some of the rainbows? i have caught atleast 4 rainbows that were tagged... they are the green tags below the dorsal fin in the pictures shown below

Can anybody elaborate?
    Yep, record the date and location of catch and turn them into ADF&G on Raspberry Rd in Anchorage. They will be happy to have the data.

I planned on doing this float on Saturday (8/29) in my one man Sportsmans Warehouse cataraft (9 ft.). My question is, can it be done safely? I will be carrying a dry bag full of some basic survival equipment as well as a swiftwater floatation vest. I should be on the river between 0700-0800. I have to stop by Troutfitters and get some good beads first. Thanks.

Sportsmans to Jims float is just fine. You will have no issues at all. Water is great, reds are bedding up and if they are dropping eggs 6mm beads shouldknock thier socks off. I fished it last friday and saturday. No eggs in yet so 8mm and 10mm were working but if the reds are dropping you should be hot on 6's

I have seen plenty of guys out in their single man rafts. Seem to do pretty well too. Best of luck to you. I have been stuck in Seward for the last 3 weeks, so I am planning a blow out trip for the first week of September.