Thread: Upper Kenai in Sept for bows. What to use with spinning rod (for my wife). Help?

Default Upper Kenai in Sept for bows. What to use with spinning rod (for my wife). Help?

I fly fish, but the wife spin fishes. We will be floating Sportsmans to Jims many days in mid/late Sept for bows. I was told that the majority of folks using spinning rods on this section don't use spinners. Anyone willing to give some info. PM me if you prefer. I am in a bit of a pickle. Planning this trip out I had not given ample thought to how my wife would be fishing. I had just assumed spinners would be good since that is what she has used on our float trips in NW and SW Alaska. If we go up there and I don't have her on some fish, it will be a long, long ten days in Sept for me Thanks for any help guys!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan
    Use a float with a bead setup.
    I spend most of September fishing this way with a little different equipment. I'll get her all set up at Fishapalooza!!!!
    I'll have her out fishing you after the first day!!!!!
    Pack an extra 7wt fly rod for her........don't ask me why.

Or a split shot and flesh fly.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

:

I doubt it will take that long....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

She will be on a fly rod though

Let us make her a fly tod addict and get her to spend lots of your money on new stuff
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Sounds good to me man. A team approach, that is what I need. To date, it has just been me and we all know how much women folk love having their man tell them what to do ha ha...

Default Kenai is pretty deep for floats for less experienced...

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Dan
    Use a float with a bead setup.
    I spend most of September fishing this way with a little different equipment. I'll get her all set up at Fishapalooza!!!!
    Pack an extra 7wt fly rod for her........don't ask me why.
    While I understand the value of floats, esp using center pin reels... They would require sliding float set up on standard spinning rods.... I think either have long leader pegged bead and drag (boobdoggle) is much more effective or just set her up w/ a fly rod... You don't really have to cast the fly rod and being that so much of the water is so deep fishing close to he boat is an advantage because the lines requires much less mending.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Sounds good to me man. A team approach, that is what I need. To date, it has just been me and we all know how much women folk love having their man tell them what to do ha ha...
    You see that's where I have an edge.
    She doesn't know me so she will listen to my teachings.

Yep, I bet you are right. Looking forward to it man.

Thanks for all the great info here. I really appreciate it. I feel like a bonehead for assuming she would just be able to throw spinners. Thanks for throwing me a line.