Thread: Rod and reel after dipneting closes?

Default Rod and reel after dipneting closes?

Just wondering if you can fish w/ rod and reel once dipnetting closes at 11pm along the beach?(Kenai) and what tackle is allowed. Any info would be appreciated.

Default Hit it.

Mouth is only closed to dipnets, consult your regs and Emergency Orders for gear restrictions. As far as I can tell bait is allowed but don't quote me on that. I've endeavored to whip out the Kenai Special but usually I'm just too pooped to do it. I'm sure if you have kids that would be quite fun; use some of the eggs from the dipped fish and small circle hooks on a trout setup and have fun with the flounders. You may even pick up a king!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Interesting question, and I don't have the answer but it made me think about it. Wonder if any halibut poke their noses into the mouth area? Throw a salmon head as far as you can out there and see what happens. Although last year I did see a salmon shark only a few yards out from the dippers....that could be interesting.

I just got back from Kenai. Caught 30 fish on yesterdays outgoing tide. It was a zoo with people pulling in gobs of fish. Lots of smiles on fishermen. There were two guys casting their rods out into the surf in the dipnetting area. My understanding is that it is illegal to even have a rod in your truck while you are dipnetting. If you want to test this theory out then I would suggest taking your rod and gear AND a dipnet over to Jim creek and try and convince Fish and Game that you are not dipnetting. Betcha get a ticket. Once the dipnetting season closes then that would open the mouth of the Kenai up for regular fishing.

Mark

Default Fishin and dippin

You can fish and dipnet in the same day. Have done this several times.
    Usually from a boat though.
    We used head up river to fish kings for a couple of hours after dipping since we paid a launch fee and all. Usually when it's busy from the city dock you can launch at pillars or eagle rock and boat down saves a lot of time and hassle.
    You may also keep a sportfish limit on the same day you have filled out your dipnet limit. It's in the regs.
    As for having fishing gear and dipnet gear with you at the same time this is perfectly legal. Having dipnet gear with you while the dipnet season is closed or on closed waters may be put you at risk for a ticket.
    As for the mouth of the Kenai being closed to fishing during dipnet season you are way off. Have never heard of this. I'm positive it is still open to fishing. Might be a bit tricky when all others are dipping but after hours it could be a lot of fun.
    mrj Why would you get a ticket for having sportfishing gear with you on open waters just because there is a season open for other gear types?
    They don't close sportfishing they just allow dipnetting during the same time frame. As long as your dipnet is put away you should have no problem.
    Psylas I have never tried this but let us know how you do.
    CHRIS

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm heading out tomorrow early morning. I'll take the rod and reel in case. Nice to know you slayed them mrj. I went out last weekend for the first time ever and had a blast.

Don't go by hear say or opinions call Fish and Game and ask the question and then report back.

Mark

What's up all, made out with 20fish on Saturday fishing for about 6 hrs through out the day. Spoke with Mike @ F&G anchorage office about the rod and reel after hours. He said it was ok, we just need to clip the tails of the fish we dipped to distinguish between the ones caught w/ rod and reel.

Jon