Thread: Tustamena Bench Moose _ Killey River

Default Tustamena Bench Moose _ Killey River

I drew DM532 moose permit which is the middle area that extends up into the bench country and am looking for any information folks are willing to share on available trail/camp information, etc. Sounds like plane access is limited so if that remains correct, may look at horseback.

So, any information, whatsoever, is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Pay attention to the Shanta Creek fire

I was out Funny River Road today and there was some spectacular smoke-clouds rising from the fire. The Funny River horse trail will probably be a mess but the Hansen trail may still be an option for access. The other way I've gone up on that bench is by skirting the north end of Tustumena Lake.

Consider contacting Alex Kime in Cooper Landing. He is an experienced outfitter who works that area. Also try High Adventure Air. They may be able to drop you off at Harvey Lake. Horses are the way to go in that country.

I took a nice moose up there a few years ago. I'll be heading up there at some point to find a caribou. Good Luck, DrB

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. We were out funny river on Saturday and saw lots of firefighters out there staging along the road.

Right now I am leaning towards horseback as a means in. I looked over the fella in Cooper Landing, and seems like an option, but he has a minimum of two hunters and as of right now, its just me.

My father-in-law who a semi-retired registered guide knows another fella (transporter I believe) here local who might be able to assist with a pack in/out, but haven't heard anything back yet. Wish my FIL knew the area, but he always guided in the Kotz and AK Penn areas. So right now, still trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks again,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.