Thread: Denali Highway

Default Denali Highway

Interested in knowing whether anyone hunted birds on the Denali Highway last year? If so, how was it, and any suggestions on time of the year and area?

Default Yes!

Great!
    I would suggest the Paxson side, later August when the tundra has changed. Early mornings and alter aternoons.. Get away fronm the road a piece and listen you will often hear them clucking.

Have fun and take some plastic bags for the berries too!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Man i kept trying to but i limited out in my yard so many times it was not worth the drive.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Owl
    Just came back from the area and I must say it looks to be a great year for ptarmigan on the Hwy. Lots of fat chicks just starting to fly with plenty of food and cover. Saw several birds while on a short hike/ grayling fishing trip.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default spring hunting

late winter/spring hunting this year were low numbers for myself and a couple guys I know who also hunted the area

We saw several hundred spring of 09 up there in the mountains. Of course it was ~2 days after season closed so we just got to watch the mountain explode. Cool to see the snow come to life!

Default Also....

The regs have changed up there.
    13B the Paxon end of the highway has a shortened season. Brood counts etc. have been low recently so the season ends November 30.
    No spring hunting this year!

Hey Burke, Did you ever hear if anyone did any good ptarmigan hunting out on the Denali Hwy, Thanks, Twixbar

Not quite as many as last year. Still beautiful country. Pie and bread at Maclaren River Lodge are as good as ever. One of the Tangle lodges is open.