Thread: Any Sockeye in Sweetheart yet?

Default Any Sockeye in Sweetheart yet?

??????????

Question Huh?

Where is Sweetheart?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Where is Sweetheart?
    A mile and a half East of Honey Buns and 2 miles South of Cutie Pie!!!!!!!

Talking I just spit up my drink!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    A mile and a half East of Honey Buns and 2 miles South of Cutie Pie!!!!!!!
    LOL... Don't think I've been there, but I'd like to go soon~~~~~~

Sorry. Sweetheart Creek is near the Juneau area down by Port Snettishham. Well known area in these parts.

Should just be starting to happen about now.

I have no first hand reports.

I'm planning to go down the last weekend in July.

This coming weekend should be o.k. Water level is down - that's a good thing. In previous years I've gone on the 4th of July and that's definately too early.

Go in August and you're battling with Humpies.

LG I'll see you down there. Planning on hitting it up the 25th and 26th.

I've been down there a few times between the 15th and 30th of July. My advice is to wait until the last week in July, or until early-mid August. The humpies don't get into the upper holes really, so they're not much of a problem unless you're only fishing the first hole.

i will be up there the 30-31
    any tips on throwing the cast net?

May do a quick run down next week just to see. Heard of A LOT of bear sign this year. Be careful.

Smile

Just got back from Sweetheart last night after a day trip yesterday (july 29). The sockeye are in as well as a few humpies, but the densities are not up there yet. We were a party of three using one six foot cast net and we worked all day for a total of 23 sockeye, so it was rather slow. The creek (more like a river to some folks down south) was fairly high and swift, but you could cross below the first pool with waders if you take it carefully. It didn't get up to my waist (I'm 5'7''), but some yahoos were doing it in jeans and extra-tuffs - each to his own.

The weather was wonderful and you couldn't have asked for a better day - sunny, in the 70's, flat water all the way down and back from Juneau (1 1/2 hour run at 30mph in 18 ft. skiff). A little buggy in the am (got down there about 7), but enough of a breeze to take off the headnet on the creek. NO BEARS! Which was nice because we could leave the fish unattended briefly.

There about 8 boats down there and most of the good spots were filled most of the day. The cast netters were about the only ones getting fish, but little other gear was being used. One fly fisherman got a nice one right off the bat at the tailout of the first (lower) pool, but I didn't see any other successful fly fishers after that. One group was using a raggy short gillnet on the first pool late in the afternoon and were getting some fish, but that was strictly illegal so don't initate it.

Regarding cast nets:
    Quote Originally Posted by juneauduckhunter View Post
    i will be up there the 30-31
    any tips on throwing the cast net?
    Check out YouTube under "how to throw a cast net" and you'll get about a dozen different ways to do so. I'm no expert so fortunately we had a Texan with us who had grown up using cast nets for bait fishing. Best way to go is to find someone who knows how to do it and is willing to tutor you until you get it. Better yet, have them do the netting for you while you help out. We had a good system going with our Texan friend throwing the net while one or both of us did the retrieve, dwelt with the fish and net untangling, and got him ready for the next cast.

Other than that, practise, practise, practise. Good luck!

any recent reports? goin tomarow (6th)

Heard it was dead on as of Monday, August 3rd (2nd hand trip report). As always, that could change with the tide...

We got 28 between me and another guy that were spearfishing down there weekend before last. We saw some big schools but they are hanging out at the worst possible place to try and throw a net.

we went and it was not very good there were a million humpys to a handfull of sockeye
    the creek wasnt to high thoe

You guys can use casting nets? Man, now I'm jealous. That would be fun.

Castnets, spearguns, Hawaiian slings, and dragnets. Got to put my vote on spearguns. We were pulling up alot more fish than everyone else and it was wild to see what was happening under the water. Did get wrapped up in one of the guys nets once which wasn't too fun.