Thread: Camping at Hatchers Pass?

Default Camping at Hatchers Pass?

So this is probably a dumb question but... I keep hearing of people camping up there but not sure where exactly. There isn't a campground up there, right? So where do they camp? On the Palmer side along the road, just anywhere? On the Willow side along the road, just anywhere? Can one camp near Independence Mine? I really want to head up there this weekend and try out our new truck camper but don't want to get in trouble by camping just anywhere. Any rules about having campfires up there? Please someone help.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

I'm not sure about the Palmer side, there are pullouts and a couple small parking lots along the Little Su, not sure if you need any type of pass or permit to park there overnite.

On the Willow side, there are quite a few small pullouts along the road where it's easy to pull over and camp, some with the stream right alongside. I don't know if you need a pass or permit, someone else will know.

There's a couple of large parking lots up at Independence Mine, as well as a couple of gravel pullouts before you hit the top, but I don't know if you need any pass/permit to camp there overnite. there are also cabins at the top and a "lodge", but with a camper that's probbaly not what you're looking for.

Be careful if you drive up there in the evening, quite a few moose browse along the Hatcher pass road off the Palmer side.

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll see what happens.

FYI depending on how far into Hatchers you want to go, it is more feasible to enter though the palmer side, rather than driving out to willow and backtracking. I believe the gate is now open and the entire road is accessible.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Best camping I know of is on the Willow side but I wouldn't recommend it for just camping. If you riding wheelers then that would be a good place to do both. I've done the drive from Willow over the top to Palmer and I won't do it again, to slow and long IMO. I hardly ever go to the Palmer side so I don't know what they have as far as camping goes.

Took our camper on it's maiden voyage and it worked very well. Went up to Independance Mine on the Palmer side and looked for blueberries. No luck then headed down to the Willow side and set up camp near the river. My homemade tiedown system worked very well on the rough road. We had a great time and it was a great test run. Just a few more modifications on the camper and it will be perfect.

I haven't been down the road from Independence Mine to Willow in about 15 years. Does anyone have any more information on places to camp? Is fishing allowed in any of those streams? These pullouts that are mentioned on the willow creek side, would they offer space for tent camping?

Pass doesn't open till 4th of July weekend typically. You can drive in from either side willow or fishhook but not between the two due to snow drifts. Lower willow creek has lots of fishing. Upper little su has next to none.

There's lots of places to camp along Hatcher Pass road but most don't start until after the state winter maintenance ends. I believe guys made it to the bridge past the lodge but haven't heard any new reports.

Palmer side still has a ton of snow on the road.

The good areas start around mile 17ish.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'll wait until later in the summer to go exploring. My ultimate goal is to find some sort of area that I can setup camp and then explore some trails on my moutnain bike. I'd also like to find a cool place to take my kids camping that they haven't seen before. But like I said it was about 15 years ago that I've been down that road and I really can't remember much of it.

Not much for mountain bike trails where you don't encounter lots of mud and swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Not much for mountain bike trails where you don't encounter lots of mud and swamp.
    Good to know! thank you! I was looking online for some more info and found a few blogs where people have ridden their bike on the road itself all the way through (which I did in boy scouts long long ago.) But for some reason I thought I had found that there were trails going from the road into the mountains, and I was hoping they'd be fun. Perhaps I am looking for something that isn't there.

It's challenging enough taking an ATV on some trails let alone a bike lol

The fishhook side you can bike on the gold mint trail and also archangel road.

Willow side several atv trails can be biked but best if we get lots of dry July/August weather. With all the snow and recently thunderstorms they will need a lot of drying this year

FYI the summit road opened yesterday.