Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Its On in Parks Streams!

Default Its On in Parks Streams!

Just left the mouth of Willow Creek. Got there bout 10:30 am- saw one silver on a stringer, and hordes of pinks splashing around. Great times for the family; great to see fish in the water!

Red face Really?

Thats about 3 weeks early. Sure that wasn't a fresh chum on that stringer? Now you've made me rethink my weekend plans...thanks

definately hard to say....it would be REALLY early maybe the earliest ive ever seen silvers in the susitna drainages, but i suppose its possible. havent even heard of silvers being caught in the Kenai River yet...though there are alot of early pinks....as for the ship creek rumor its only partly true, there are a FEW silvers, but mostly pinks.

Cool Early silvers?

I think its too early for silvers. Most will get silvers mixed up for fresh chums. Hard to tell them apart if you don't know what your looking for.

Thanks for the info, I've got a couple of kids dying to catch some Salmon. I believe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Talking Maybe most will...

I'm not "most" anglers. I am 100% sure I know the difference between bright chum, pink, coho and red. Yes, they are all bright, but to a trained eye its not difficult to tell them apart. Chum and sockeye are a lot more difficult to tell than chum vs silver. Large female pink could be taken for a silver, possibly, till you look at the spots. Both on the tail and back- its unmistakable.

It is not early for the mouth of Willow Creek. Many years on the final weekend of king fishing one silver will be caught amidst the hordes of king anglers. Chums and pinks do arrive in numbers sooner than silvers; but there are always a few early silvers in the mix. Yes, you do have to pick through a lot of dime bright chums and pinks to find a silver, but they're around. Using eggs early in the morning is the easiest way to up your odds of getting silvers.

But go ahead and think what you will... things get too crowded as it is. There are far more fish on the Kenai peninsula, so go South, young man!

keep me posted on the chums..loving making the trip..as sadisitic as it sounds, to fly fish them, they are a blast!

i find the easiest and best way to define silvers is by the silver lining on the tail and the yes the spots as well....only kings carry the silver on the tail as well and it is much less visible compared to silvers. there is no mistaking a dime bright red...and no mistaking a pink to be sure, though ive seen people who have mistakenly tossed back jack kings thinkin they were pinks

[QUOTE=willphish4food;532547]I'm not "most" anglers. I am 100% sure I know the difference between bright chum, pink, coho and red. Yes, they are all bright, but to a trained eye its not difficult to tell them apart. Chum and sockeye are a lot more difficult to tell than chum vs silver. Large female pink could be taken for a silverQUOTE]

Nate and I say it is an Alaskan anadromous carp!

Default Early silvers

CALM DOWN, DON'T GET ALL HEATED MAN. I'M JUST SAYING. I'M WRONG AND YOUR RIGHT HOW ABOUT THAT. I MEAN ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. IF IT WAS AN EARLY COHO THEN CONGRATS DUDE!! YOU FEEL BETTER NOW? ANYWAYS FISH ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I'm not "most" anglers. I am 100% sure I know the difference between bright chum, pink, coho and red. Yes, they are all bright, but to a trained eye its not difficult to tell them apart. Chum and sockeye are a lot more difficult to tell than chum vs silver. Large female pink could be taken for a silver
    Nate and I say it is an Alaskan anadromous carp!

HA ! what he said...

Too many capital letters. Looks like an email from my crazy aunt.

Default Capitals

So is this a spelling contest now???

Default Capitalization

NO!! IT'S A CAPITALIZATION CONTEST!! AND I WIN BECAUSE MY LETTERS ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS!!! :d (so that last symbol is supposed to be a smily, but I guess smilys don't like large, loud, capital letters. oh, well.)
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Good one. Ha, ha, ha. You win , fish on.

Right on guys! Way to keep the forum real Yes, I was a little insulted by questions of my ability to identify fish- its akin to telling a master mechanic that he's not holding an end wrench, but more likely a crescent. I'm over it now, and I've got fish in the fridge, and fresh berries in the belly!

Anyhow, I was down there again today. Pinks are thicker than fleas, but I did see 2 more silvers landed. I had a chum online briefly, but where I could see fish schooled up they were all pinks.

Default Bears

Any bears hanging around there yet. I've had them walk out on me a few times there over the years....they're just looking for fish, like all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Right on guys! Way to keep the forum real Yes, I was a little insulted by questions of my ability to identify fish- its akin to telling a master mechanic that he's not holding an end wrench, but more likely a crescent. I'm over it now, and I've got fish in the fridge, and fresh berries in the belly!

Anyhow, I was down there again today. Pinks are thicker than fleas, but I did see 2 more silvers landed. I had a chum online briefly, but where I could see fish schooled up they were all pinks.

One teenager brown reported near the camp ground. Heard from two different anglers, both reliable guys.

Sounds like things are picking up !!!! Whats the best fly for chums ??

Does anyone know the water level for the Willow?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast