Thread: Cabellas Vacuum packer?

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Cabellas Vacuum packer?

I was doing a search on vacuum packers and read about people being pleased with the Cabelas CG-15. I don't use a packer enough to buy a $1500 or more model and I am tired of my food saver. Is it true you have to only use Cabela's bags or can I use food saver bags with the Cabela machine?

Default Buy it and love it

I've had one for two years in Dillingham and definitely use one enough to need a 1500 dollar one but didn't want to spend that kind of cash. I used mine head to head with a friend who has one of the expensive chamber sealers and I can assure you....the CG -15 is faster, and does at least as good of a job as a chamber model....plus it has lots of other settings such as the manual mode so you can put sloppy stuff (I usually do premade barbecue for shore lunches...boil and eat) in it without sucking all the juice into your vaccuum. IT's an impressive piece of equipment....it definitely works way more than two times better and longer than a food saver despite the foodsaver being half the cost...and definitely works more than a third better (I'd say 99 percent) as well as the 1200-1500 dollar chamber models. IT's a sound investment you will appreciate.

Those that say the foodsaver is all you need must have won the foodsaver lottery and got a good one because I've never seen one work for long under high use conditions...or even do that good of a job at lower volumes. I've already packaged 100 pounds of salmon in mine this year and more than 100 last year....plus things like ribs, caribou roasts etc. The bags are inexpensive and come in well thought out sizes....plus, if need be you can preseal with the manual mode using foodsaver rolls making your own bags and that works great too....just one more step but helps burn up the rolls I had from my cruddy foodsaver.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Thank you for the info. The main piece of info I was looking for was if I could use the FS bag material on it. I am leaving sat for SE AK and on my way I travel by a Cabelas store so I thought about buying a new machine. I have 2 FS machines now and we just bought 11 rolls of bags for them so it is important the new machine could use those bags.

Thanks Mike

Default It will seal anything

The CG-15 will reseal a bag of chips if you want it too. It's a good investment.

I think the main difference in bags is the foodsaver bags are really thin and fish bones can puncture them. I buy my replacement bags at Alaska Butcher Supply, they are the same as the ones Cabelas' sells only local. You can also buy a roll there and make your own bags. My Cabela's CG15 is a great tool, it will get another huge workout this week as dipnetting is here.

Default No issues

I have had mine for 2 year now after my food saver finally bit it. I must have also had a good one (food saver that is) because I had it about 5 or six years. But it was slow. The CG-15 is not bad though. I have no problem with mine and would buy another unless I fork out the $2k for the big one.

The big deal really is finding better bags or roles. Simply put, the food saver bags stink. I like Holly's or Cabela's, vac Masters seem okay too.

Good luck.
    Tony

Thumbs up

Interesting to read the comments from guys who use their machines a lot, Food Saver used to rule the roost but with manufacturing that can change in a hurry.

Thanks to everyone for their input here.

Regardless of what brand of vacuum sealer you use, try Simply Smart bags or rolls. They are GREAT!!! Trustworthy sells them or at least they did last year

Default Cabellas CG-15

I read several different post and reviews. I just bought a new Foodsaver (m0ost expensive one I could find) this spring, did a few fish and it wasn't any better than the old one, didn't always seal good, didn't vacumn well and some times didn't suck without several re-positionings of the bag. 2 weeks ago the vacumn guage only goes to 1 bar :-(((

I bought a Cabellas CG-15 got it 2 weeks ago, did 75 bags (80#) and 58 bags (68#) the last 2 weekends. Sealed very time, vacumned every time, no errors, fast clean and efficient. LOVE IT!!!!

Now I need to figure how to take back my POC to Freddy's without a reciept??
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"