Thread: Current Klutina Report

Question Current Klutina Report

Any news on the Klutina...has the water level come back down, has fishing picked back up? Considering a trip this weekend. Thanks.

I was there this past weekend. It was slow. In two days I saw two reds landed with 10 or so rods working the river. The guys who were going up river on charters for kings seemed to be fairing better.

The owner of the campground said it was hot the week before we were there and was predicted to be hot the week after, which fits with the sonar counts.

Very high dirty water due to the hot weather we have been having. Fishing for reds is slow and I am not sure about the Kings as I do not fish for them. Hopefully the water will come down soon as it has not started to yet.

cheers,
    Salmonman

Default any new news

Heading south this Friday. Any news from the Klutina?

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    Heading south this Friday. Any news from the Klutina?
    yeah, it was my first time camping there and not wetting a line AT ALL last Saturday. Should get better if the water drops I would think.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Closed to kings 7/27

Klutina will close to kings on Monday 7/27. Release should be on ADFG website

Quote Originally Posted by cory100 View Post

http://sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/EO.../EO3KS0509.pdf
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default ouch

Ouch. I know the guides were looking forward to that 1st week of august being open this yr. I guess thats when allot of the monsters enter the river.

Quote Originally Posted by cory100 View Post
    anyone going out before then? I still have a king stamp to fill? and live locally My son got a king, but I didnt.. anyone got an extra pole and need a seat filled let me know...lol

I know it's a long shot but might as well try..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thumbs down Slooooow

Got there Friday evening until Sunday noon. Water stilll very high and fast. First time fishing there that the wife didn't have to litterally pull me off the bank to get heading back home. Most of the weekend I was the lone fisherman at the Klutina Salmon Charters campround...it was that dead. Groves had a few more but only saw @ 4 fish taken from across the way. Struck off on foot down stream and saw a guy with three, but it was 5 in the morning so not sure how long he'd been out there. Only saw 4 fish swim by/break the surface in 2 days....grrrrr! My take for the weekend one red, missed another snagged red, one grayling, and one sucker. Pretty pathetic for the Klutina. The guide there with raft got his Kings each trip out...too bad that fisherly has also ended early (today). With a slug of reds moving through the copper, things should pick up soon and water hopefully recedes a bit. Oh, and the wind going through Delta Junction was incredible...could barely pull the camper through it!

Under normal water conditions, how long does it usually take for salmon to travel from the counter on the copper to the Klutina and the Gulkana rivers?

Default Klutina closed to king salmon fishing as of today

Here's the EO:

This emergency order prohibits retention of king salmon from the Klutina River and all waters of the Upper Copper River drainage downstream of the upstream bank of the Klutina River effective 12:01 a.m. Monday July 27, 2009. King salmon may not be retained or possessed; all king salmon caught must be released immediately. The use of bait in these waters is also prohibited.

Retrieve from: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...203%2DInterior

(I think they might have amended the EO since yesterday. I'm pretty sure it also said something like "must be released without removing the salmon from the water". That's what it basically said, though I don't recall the exact wording.)

We were at Groves yesterday and today. It was a bit slow, but there were lots of fish surfacing in their hole. We only landed 3 reds among us, but had a few snags and at least a couple kings on that snapped my line too fast to react. Better action than we had on the Kenai the week before.

Felt sorry for the local campgrounds and charters. The area was basically deserted. And now their king season is already over.