Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osprey performance

Default Osprey performance

There are two Ospreys up on Craigslist. One has a 5.0 the other a 5.7. I'm just wondering how much you lose going with the 5.0. Is it a dog or is it sufficient to push this boat. I tend to lean towards more power. When you're short on power there isn't much you can do about it. When you have too much you can always throttle back.

How big is the boat and what are the horsepower ratings for both motors?
    Tennessee

Hmmm, good question. Both are 22ft. Neither boat gives a horsepower rating so I don't know off hand. But as I mentioned above one of a 5.0 liter engine while the other has the 5.7 liter.

Default guestimate

my guess is about .7 liters..... :-)

I do concur that more is merrier for the most part when it comes to anything that floats, flies, or rides on wheels......

Default Thinking like pickups.

Not sure but thinking of it like a older model Chevy ext. cab pickup. The extra .7 litres makes a noticable diffrence. Had both motors on diffrent trucks and was able to haul a load better with the 5.7L. Just a thought if you plan to load it up. If the diffrence in price is reasonable I would pick the larger motor.

my little 22ft seasport scoots quite nicely with a 4 cyl turbo diesel, with max hp of 170. Certianly could use some more umph now and again, but I goota think the 5 litre would have enough juice to do just fine.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Pat,

While I personally don't think you will notice much difference, I would rather have the 5.7. But, I wouldn't let the motor be the deciding factor unless both boats were equipped similarly and both in good condition. Then the 5.7 wins every time. However, if the boat with the 5.0 has been cared for and pampered and the boat with the 5.7 has not, the 5.0 boat wins every time.

I'm sure others will chime in, but it seems the real trouble with both of these boats was with the outdrive and the manifolds. Looks like we will see you on the water

Tim

Yeah I'm gettin pretty excited about it but the real kicker is keeping the wife excited about it. Both Osprey boats have had the engines rebuilt about 3 years ago with about 300 hours put on since then. As for the descriptions:

The 5.7L doesn't have a new outdrive and is a 1995. It has a kicker and some electronics and fising gear. No radar though and from the pictures looks to be in a bit worse shape.

The 5.0L had a motor rebuilt about 3 years ago, don't know about the outdrive as I forgot to ask. Again photos don't tell very well but the 5.0 looks to be in better shape. It also has electronics including radar, no kicker and not much in the way of fishing gear. Its here in town so we are going to look at it tonight and see what we think about Ospreys and if there worth the extra money.

We found a 1992 trophy that's in great shape, brand new 5.7L motor, new outdrive in 2004. The boat looks really well cared for and lists for 8K less than the Ospreys. The main problem is it has a Alpha I outdrive which I am familiar with as my last boat had one. They seem like good outdrives but it isn't going to get the performance and fuel effeciency of a duo-prop. Outside of that, 8K is alot of money and the trophy is in pretty great shape.

Any thoughts or opinions are well appreciated as I am trying to way the options here. Also, anyone know of a good place to have someone check them out for me. How much does it run to have someone go over the boat.

Default Hp & Osprey question

Hey Patrick ...

The 5.0 is a 302 small block V8 and the 5.7 is a 350 V8. I have a 5.7 and with my 26 long cabin I might be pushing 1500 to 2000 lbs more than you, I still cruise at 30 at 3600 rpm and top out at 42+ at 4500 rpm. Do these boats have the duo-prop outdrive. The counterrotating props put more of the engines HP into the water. It is actually quite dramatic, single prop is 20% of the rated hp converted to actual thrust, duo-prop puts about 30% of the hp into actuall thrust on the water. In other words the drive is just as important as the engine hp.

Personally, if it can fit into the engine compartment ... this fall I am going to upgrade to a 8.1 with 375 hp. likely cruise will be 30 mph at 3000 rpm. Who knows where the top end will be ... mabey 50? The main reason for doing it will be to get to the situation where the engine is not working hard to give me the cruise that I want.

Both of Duo-props. One reason for looking at them is the increased performance and better fuel economy. Seems like you think the 5.0L will be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Hey Patrick ...

The 5.0 is a 302 small block V8 and the 5.7 is a 350 V8. I have a 5.7 and with my 26 long cabin I might be pushing 1500 to 2000 lbs more than you, I still cruise at 30 at 3600 rpm and top out at 42+ at 4500 rpm. Do these boats have the duo-prop outdrive. The counterrotating props put more of the engines HP into the water. It is actually quite dramatic, single prop is 20% of the rated hp converted to actual thrust, duo-prop puts about 30% of the hp into actuall thrust on the water. In other words the drive is just as important as the engine hp.

Personally, if it can fit into the engine compartment ... this fall I am going to upgrade to a 8.1 with 375 hp. likely cruise will be 30 mph at 3000 rpm. Who knows where the top end will be ... mabey 50? The main reason for doing it will be to get to the situation where the engine is not working hard to give me the cruise that I want.
    I have the 8.1 in my 24 foot Sea Sport (duoprop) and love it! With three adults on board and full fuel tanks (120 gallons) we are on plane in just a few seconds without going full throttle. I cruise at 3,000 rpms running anywhere between 25-28 mph burning just a hair over 2 miles per gallon. I never really tried to find out the top speed but 40 mph is easy to hit. But when you are looking at the floscan while you are going 40 you back off real quick, lol. Don't think it would hit 50 though. Motor is more designed for low end torque and I think it redlines somewhere around 4,400 rpms.
    Tennessee

Well we looked at an Osprey this evening. That's a heck of alot more boat than the Trophy we looked at earlier. Its 8K more but you can see why. I think we will probably look at one more tomorrow and then make a decision. Those Ospreys sure are nice. Anything you guys can add to think about would be great appreciated. Does anyone recommend a mechanic to take these boats to here in Anchorage for a once over before we buy?

All i can tell you about the duo props is make sure you check the upper bellows on the outdrive, the u joints are inside and if it has leaked the ujoints may be shot or at least all rested up, check the outdrive oil from the bottom plug its magnetic and look for any metal filing on it, if they are very fine like mud then its probaly ok if there are larger chips or filings well i'd say away also look for coffe colored oil then the seals are shot or the drive has water in it. If possible pull off the top box on the drive and check the coupling, you can sight down the splines inside the coupling and if they are wavy or twisted that will tell you that the drive had a hard prop strike that may have chipped some gear teeth in the drive, again not good. The list goes on and on with those toy drives, yup i do have one on my bowpicker but i've always babied it and only one guy has ever worked on it (he ain't any of the guys in town) and thats why i've got over 8000 hours on it. Good luck with the new ride.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hey Pot Builder,

I've seen alot of your posts up so I definitely appreciate the input from someone who knows what they are talking about. I'm not a mechanic but can find my way around things alright. It just seems before I drop 25K or 30K on a boat I should get someone with a little more knowledge to take a look. What do you think? I'd be more than happy to buy you a beer, or two, or three if you wanted to take a look for me

Anything else you can tell me would be much appreciated. I'll buy you that beer if we cross paths to return the favor.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Call Any at Noahs Marine and he can inspect the outdrive if you are so inclined. Potbuilder is correctuilder is correct about the bellows and such.
    I think Andy will charge about $350 to pull and inspect the outdrive. Personally I think the Osprey would be a better boat than the Trophy but only you can decide if it is worth the price.
    Tennessee

I've been aboard a 24' Osprey in some reasonably large seas, powered with a volvo penta engine/drive combo consisting of the 5.0 liter Chev 305 engine and a duoprop outdrive. It was ENTIRELY adequate. In your case, comparing the relative condition of the boats and drive combos is more important than deciding between a 305 or 350, in my opinion.

Default Another thought or two ...

After three years of learning how to handle the the boat and going through teen age years with my son and his buddies, the Osprey I had developed nicks and dings and harbor rash in the gelcoat. A trip to CAC plastics in Wasilla this spring and they fixed the eight dings and now she looks showroom new again all for 757.00 bucks. You can make the older glass boat look showroom new if you choose.

As for the boats on Craigslist they both have with stainless steel props I would go with the 5.7. Also having a good kicker gives you an option to get back to harbor, slowly, if the main engine should fail.

All good advice.

I look into Noahs for an inspection.

Ocnfish, one question my wife keeps having is whether we can get us with 2 kids on board comfortablely. The Osprey actually has less cabin space while the bayliner feels smaller. I'm leaning towards the Ospreys as they are a heck of lot more boat. She was just worried what happens when I little one comes, we have another, and then the kids want to bring their friends for a weekend out. I said, they can camp on shore and we get the boat . How well did it work out for you?

Patrick

Most Ospreys are deisgned withe bigger decks for fishing and smaller cabins. You could fish 4 pretty easily off the deck but camping with 4 would be a different story. But hey, we don't all have the cash to buy a 28 or 30 footer and have to start somewhere, correct?

Don't discount what you need to haul this rig with. I am guessing it would weigh at least 6,000 pounds loaded with fuel including the weight of the trailer. A gas truck hauling this will get pretty bad gas mileage and will also be harder to stop. Most people hauling boats this size go to a diesel rig.

Good luck and ask a lot of questions!
    Tennessee

Yeah I was worried about that. I have a gas rig rated for 9600lbs that I used to pull a 7000lb plus trailer up from Reno when we moved to Anchroge. We got about 10mpg most of the way going around 60ish. Not the best but it got the job done. I had some airbags put on the rear to level the truck and that helped alot with handling the weight. I don't want to go much over that if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast