Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blueberry Season?

Default Blueberry Season?

Not sure if this is in the right section but was wondering when the blueberries will be ready for picking? I think it's all next month is that correct?
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

During moose season is when I find myself picking berries. The ones on my property are starting to get fat but their far from ripe. And hopfully berries are in better shape than last year because they all sucked, too much rain
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I usually go out early to mid august here in Fairbanks. It also depends on the weather, with the low amounts of rain, they may be ready sooner. Raspberries are starting to show promise right now.

late August thru September in Anchorage and vicinity.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default They are coming out now!

I picked some yesterday near Anchorage. They were ripe and tasty, but still a bit on the early side. The warm weather is causing them to come out early this year.

Well the wife and I are going to Hatchers Pass tomorrow so we are gonna see how they are up there. First time picking blueberries, should be fun. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Doug,

Please snap a picture or two if a digital camera is handy. I am sure others would like to see how the berries are progressing this year.

Default Murphy Dome

Went up to Murphy Dome on Sunday with the girlfriend. There were a few people picking on the South face near the road, but it didn't look too promising as of yet. I walked out on the North face behind the radar dome itself and wasn't too impressed. The berries were very small, 1 in 3 was ripe and it took near 2 hours to get about a sandwich bag's worth of berries. They were far and few between.

Another good rain storm and about a week should get more berries out.

On the way out, a few people that had been on the South face were still there, it did not appear that they had made much progress from when we first saw them on the way up.

I didn't have the camera with me, sorry.

We came up empty handed. Didn't see any berries at all. Pulled off at several locations, (places we seen people picking last year) and didn't see one single berry. We will be going back mid August to see if we get lucky then.

They are popping. Some were delicious some too early. More then I've ever seen in this spot though, the whole floor is blanketed.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    We came up empty handed. Didn't see any berries at all. Pulled off at several locations, (places we seen people picking last year) and didn't see one single berry. We will be going back mid August to see if we get lucky then.
    Hike Reed lakes in Hatcher Pass on Saturday and about 2 miles in on the first hill there were quite a few back there.

Where was this picture taken? So I can go there...lol

Oh too late, I picked all 4 billion this weekend. Anyone wanna pancake? Kidding of course, this was on a bench at 1200 ft.

Default Picking time

I climbed the hill behind my house in Eagle River yesterday as was surprised how far along the low bush blueberries are. The are prime for harvesting and the ground is blue with them. I picked a quart in about two hours The crowberries are also ready and the low bush cranberries are turning red on the south slopes.

Default Hatcher Pass area

We hiked off Archangel to the Lane Hut today and did not see any blue ones, just a few green berries. Heard that someone picked enough for a pie in Big Lake, but I don't have any further info.

We were up in the Chickaloon area yesterday and found some ripe blueberries on the south facing hills only. The berries on the SW and SE facing hills were still green.

The Crowberries were ripe everywhere, though, and the currants also were ripe.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Powerline Pass

Some are ripe in the Glen Alps along Powerline Pass, esp up towards Hidden Lake. People have been picking there already so you have to take a closer look and step off the trail quite a bit, but it's well worth it. The ripe ones are simply delicious!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Berries around Wasilla area? I'm itching to gather wild cranberries and crowberries. I'm not wanting a secret location; however, if there is more than enough to go around, and ya wouldn't mind sharing a place with me, please post up.

I already know of wild rose and blueberry areas but not the berries mentioned above.

Anyone check on the berries this past weekend? We are heading up to Hatchers Pass next weekend to check. Anyone been up there lately?

Default Mixed blessing

We checked the area above the Fishhook trailhead parking lot, and most of the ones we saw were green (8/1). On the road to Willow, some are ripe high on the slopes (right side going towards Willow); the higher you get, the more ripe ones, but still lots of green. We went to Sheep Mountain last week and hiked around there and the berries were not only ripe, but some started to dry up, so if you don't mind the ride, that's a great place to pick now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast