Thread: Goat permits

Default Goat permits

Anyone have any insight on Goat permits by Homer? What is the terrian like. What areas can you beach you boat? Thanks.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default homer goats

I've never been interested in Homer goats, but I"ve heard Sadie Cove is a good one. Google Earth may reveal some beaches.

Wink so what's wrong with our goats???

is this some sort of political statement?
    don't want any artsy-fartsy liberal goats?
    <GRIN>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Dg360

look at DG360... Looks pretty productive, especially if you can go from the spit across!

Thanks for you help.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Artsy-fartsy goats

Nah, i don't have a problem with artsy-fartsy goats. Hunting out of homer is enough trouble that I'd go to Kodiak or Cordova via a short plane ride rather than two days on the highway. It just seems like a lot of hassle.

I never thought about Kodaik, but latley I have seen allot of people hunting there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up the odds are good

you have excellent odds of drawing in kodiak, all things considered, and the island is thick with goats.
    my wife and i hunted there last year, but weather interfered with success.
    we had dg475, but i have also heard good stories from the South kodiak and South road system.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for the info. I just might now put info Kodiak
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

nooo please don't put in for road system on kodiak...hehe
    center mountian, wild creek are really good goat areas as well, shoot all the goat areas in kodiak are good, i haven't heard bad about any of them yet. better odds of drawing that homer too...especially south end of kodiak some of those are around 50 percent chance of draw. don't forget john and larry at kodiak fish adn game, they'll tell you excatly where they saw goats when they did the surveys, those guys are a heap of information when you need it.

Default Kodiak Goats

Please put in for Kodiak and leave our Homer goats for us conservative republican anti-hippy, tree-cutting, bunny-killing Homeroids :>

Lots of good hunting in the hills across from Homer, but I'd never do it from the beach. I'm 5 for 5 on goat permit hunts across the bay.

How do you do it, Adam? Fly in to the alpine lakes? (Don't worry, I already put in for my permits and none of them are for the Homer area)

-Brian

Default kodiak goats

I might actually put in for some Kodiak goat permits. Kodiak gets some ugly weather, but Cordova can be pretty ugly as well. I haven't been to Kodiak in ten years or so. Maybe it's time for a little trip back that way.

Default fly-in

Every Homer unit has lakes that you can fly into. You'd have to be crazy to walk in from the saltwater in unit 360. Areas 361, and 362 can be done, but why subject yourself to more physical demand than you have to, especially prior to the harvest. Homerdave got a nice billy walking from the beach (Sadie Cove) in 362 this year, so it can be done. Area 363 has an alpine lake, but the aircharter I use prefers not to use it due to bad winds that may come up. PM me in you want any info.

Default Homer Goat DG360

I drew my first ever drawing permit after 27 years in Alaska, and I drew the DG360. I flew into emerald lake, (about 7 minute flight from homer). Took a couple of buddies to pack my body back if needed. As a side note, I started running on my treadmill as soon as I found that I drew the permit, about 5 miles a day until I left in August. We decided to walk up to a small lake nested between a mountain, and the glacier. It appeared on the topo map to be a simple hike, and about 2 miles. From that point, we had planned to climb up to the peaks. Well, that 2 miles was an alder thicket from hell. Took us 10 hours. We got set up at camp, and looked UP the mountain to that 'easy' hike we could see on the topo. We'll standing in front of this cliff that went up for a half mile, we knew we couldn't do that. So we hunted by the glacier, as there was a lot of goat sign there. Didn't see any, but one of my buddies got a real nice black bear, his first.

So, it was some hell, and some heaven. I would do it again tomorrow if I could, but I'm still trying to get feeling back in my legs from the first trip. I guess my point was, I'm sure there are better areas, but even this one made for a great hunt. I just apply for the first ones that come to mind, and then I figure out how I'm going to get there to hunt. Makes it interesting.

Good Luck

I passed on goat permits in Homer and instead put in for Seward and whitter area. Got my lucky rabbit foot out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK