Thread: Looking for a bowyer near Fairbanks

Default Looking for a bowyer near Fairbanks

I sat next to a pilot from Alaskan Airlines about 2 months ago while flying home on R&R leave from Iraq. We talked the entire flight about archery, fishing, and hunting in Alaska. He told me of a great realitively new bowyer that either lived in Fairbanks or North Pole. Problem is i was in such a hurry to get off the plane and see my wife that i had been gone from for 8 months i didnt get the pilots name or the bowyer he was talking about. So if you know of the bowyer or by chance you happen to be the pilot i talked to could you please leave me some contact information in a PM or on this thread.

Thanks
    Corey

Okay, I'll do it.

What's a bowyer?

Taylor

-[]------->

A "bowyer" is a person that builds bows by hand, longbows and recurves. FOBS not allowed......

There is two that I know of...

Scott nicholson. I'm not sure what his status is, if he's b uilding for fun or selling...last I heard he flew choppers for the pipeline security folks (forgot the name of it ugg getting old sucks lol).

The other guy..hmmmm, he works for FAA. If you drive over to the FAA building (the little square shack on the left just a smidge before pikes), you should find his truck, has a traditional bowhunter sticker on the back window of his camper shell. I believe it was a ford 6 pack he was driving, dark in color. Should be easy to find but heck if i can remember his name. I do know he was selling. I think his last name is Thomas.

Real helpful that is...I havent hung out with these guys in awhile. If you can't find them that way, you could try golden north...I know the FAA dude (boy this really sucks cuz I know him well), shoots there quite a bit, or used too. You might try talking to Del at Sportmens, he should know the 2nd one....He might know of Scott Also.

I'll do some digging, I know the people to ask for ya. Give me a day or two.

I think we are both going to do the name game now because i am wondering if the guy who flys the helo's, is retired Army and does he shoot on Fort Wainwright alot. He shoots a longbow with really heavy flu flu arrows. If this is the same guy i know he used to make his own arrows, and is a trad fanatic which is awesome.

And as far as the pilot for Alaska Airlines goes he flew large commercial planes.

If anyone can come up with any more info id really like to get in touch with one of these guys, when i get back from the desert.

Regards
    Corey

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

go find Dell at the bow desk in sportsmans... he had his own shop for years and knows all the long termers here in FBk..

check with Tom a kingsknock.. he knows a lot of guys as well....but i would bet Dell is your better choice...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince ill try that also.

Scott Nicholson is the helo pilot he's also a retired blackhawk pilot..lives in north pole I know him well. I havent talked to him in a few years now. Used to shoot a bunch on FWA.

I dont know about the alaska airlines pilot. I used to know a guy in training to become one years back, dunno whatever happened to him, he lived in anchorage though, who knows he'd be young, maybe mid to late 20's if it was him.

The other guy I was thinking is Ken Thomas...he works for FAA right acrossed from Pikes. I dont see him around but in the winters as I'm usually gone in the summers. He shoots with GNAA over at Lathrop and has been building for a few years now.

I know Ken makes a nice bow...Ken and Scott work hand in hand, friends that is. I haven't seen any of Scotts bows personally but I'm sure they are quite nice also!

I'll see if I cant come up with contact numbers for ken and scott for ya. Del wont have them..you may be able to find them in the phone book....or they are both members of golden north. I know Ken usually shows up...but I havent seen Scott around in awhile now at GNAA functions...sooo...maybe. I'll see what I can dig up.

Hey i appreciate it Tradbow Scott sounds like the right name Ive met him on several occasions and it seemed like when the AA pilot was talking about someone making a bow it was him i just couldnt remember the name. If you could find numbers that would be great if not, i used to run into Scott at FWA and sportsmans quite regularly.

Thanks
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Scott Nicholson is the helo pilot he's also a retired blackhawk pilot..lives in north pole I know him well. I havent talked to him in a few years now. Used to shoot a bunch on FWA.

I dont know about the alaska airlines pilot. I used to know a guy in training to become one years back, dunno whatever happened to him, he lived in anchorage though, who knows he'd be young, maybe mid to late 20's if it was him.

The other guy I was thinking is Ken Thomas...he works for FAA right acrossed from Pikes. I dont see him around but in the winters as I'm usually gone in the summers. He shoots with GNAA over at Lathrop and has been building for a few years now.

I know Ken makes a nice bow...Ken and Scott work hand in hand, friends that is. I haven't seen any of Scotts bows personally but I'm sure they are quite nice also!

I'll see if I cant come up with contact numbers for ken and scott for ya. Del wont have them..you may be able to find them in the phone book....or they are both members of golden north. I know Ken usually shows up...but I havent seen Scott around in awhile now at GNAA functions...sooo...maybe. I'll see what I can dig up.

Corey,

Both Scott and Ken are listed. Scott's in North Pole. I met him and hung out with him right before he started building. I see ken from time to time at the banquets or at ryan shooting. Look for his truck and leave a note easy enough. I'm not sure WHO Scott is flying for whover does pipeline security. Easier to just call'm both up.

If you cant find them in the book let me know, I found both doing a whitepages search earlier today.

ps,
    thought you might appreciate this. This is Scotts stuff....page 16 row 2, 3rd pic going left to right is Ken Thomas.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Scott6231/

Ya dont recognize either one of those guys, not who i was thinking about but after looking at the bows he is building... Did he make all those bow on the rack a few pages back. This is the guy i need to talk to!!! I also saw that you had some longbows for sale just off hand. I might need to come check those out should be back in a few weeks, if anything just to get some knowledge. Im really making leaps and bounds with the recurve i have after changing some stuff around. Its a Gamemaster II which shoots good but i want to go full trad and its just pushing the edge a little far.

Thanks
    Corey

Corey...

well It sure sounds like Scott, the helicopter pilot to me...you hit it spot on atleast talking about him. As for how he looks now (or then) I dont know how current things are. I havent talked to him since he started building. So what he's built, is building or is in the plans of building I cannot answer...look him up, tell him I sent ya, he shouldnt bite ya too hard . Scotts a great guy, we didnt see eye to eye on things and parted ways unfortunatly. The joys of going through a divorce (me), takes it's toll on more then just the two people at hand unfortunatly.

I do have a couple bows for sale..and I have a bunch more. I'll help ya if I can..have enough crap to arm a big army lol. Most of it's in rubber maids though so it's not quite the most organized yet. I wasnt planning on being here in the interior this summer.....so I unpacked none of my gear.

Sounds good ill be back very soon and ill make sure and look you up on here when i do so. As far as Scott goes ill be trying this week to get ahold of him to find out more info. When i get back im probably going to have to wait a few weeks till my bow shows up so I may be a sucker for a deal by then. Again thanks for all the info.

Corey