Thread: Seward Silver Update

Default Seward Silver Update

I took the day today and made another trip to Seward for silvers. They are still out at Pony. We started at Chaval and got a few, then went to Pony Cove. Took a break to halibut during slack tide with no luck. Seemed like everyone was seeing fish but the bite was not great. We ended up limiting out on silvers and getting one 20lb halibut and two yellow eyes while cleaning the silvers. Flat calm, and worth going down there for but it was some work to get them to bite. Trolling seemed to work best today.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Pony Cove

My buddy was out there yesterday and limited out with 5 on board. Took most of the day and the bite was a little slower. Good size fish though, also hooked a 30lb King on a fly rod...what a fight that was

Default Q's for silver fishing

If you don't mind sharing more details, we are thinking about heading down there this Sat to try our luck.
    How deep are you trolling and what are you using, (hoochies w/herring and a flasher, just herring, etc...)?
    Is the bite any better on the incoming tide, early AM, or does it matter?
    Did anybody try mooching w/success?
    Thanks for the help,
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    If you don't mind sharing more details, we are thinking about heading down there this Sat to try our luck.
    How deep are you trolling and what are you using, (hoochies w/herring and a flasher, just herring, etc...)?
    Thanks for the help,
    BK

Hooches always work...I lean towards yellow and red tipped with 1/2 herring. I like to fish @ 32'. I do better fishing on the moving current then at slack. The earlier the better for traffic and wave reasons.

If you are mooching and need to motor over to reposition yourself, idle over to where you're going while keeping your gear in the water. I've caught lots of fish just moving from one spot to another.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Thanks for the help,
    BK
    I generally had the downriggers at 25,35 and 45' yesterday. I don't know that one depth was better than the other. Trolling at a bit above 2 kts seemed to do better, but that may have just been because the bite picked up when we sped up. It seemed to me that we were doing much better than the moochers yesterday, but it was my impression that there were a lot of fish down there but they just were not very active. We mooched for a while and I saw several silvers follow the herring up but did not strike it. I was fishing whole herring on a two hook setup. I can't say if the incoming tide or the outgoing was better, but it seemed really dead at slack tide the last couple of time I have gone. I hope this helps, and good luck. I would definately go if I were you. If the bite picks up there are a lot of fish to catch, it seems like there are a lot more than last year.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Appreciate the advice.

Thanks guys, looks like we'll give Seward a run this weekend.
    BK

Default ?

When mooching do you let your weight go to the bottom or do you keep it at a specific depth?

Default silver tip

Gents.. my buddy was using Crocs...about 5 inch ones tipped with some herring. Said guys were mooching around him and not catching fish.. He was fishing for rockfish wtih the Croc and they started hammering it..so he changed everyone in the boat to them.

Might help

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    When mooching do you let your weight go to the bottom or do you keep it at a specific depth?
    We let it to the bottom. them reel up slowly. We picked up sea bass and a king this way.. all our bites came when we reeled up slowly. Also we cut the small troll herring in half. Gave it a nice spin. We did not use and hoochie with mooching.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default mooching

Depending where you are if you let it go to the bottom there is a good chance you will get something other than silver (small halibut, rockfish, sculpin..) I would try to keep it from 60' & up. Once you get a couple you will have an idea of how deep they are.
    We were out Sun & Mon. & dont' have a depth finder so you just have to keep working different depths. If it gets to slow mooching, then troll. You can troll with just a bannana weight & hoochie tipped w/hearing & don't need down riggers. We did just fine this way as well.
    In fact after silver fishing we wanted some halibut so we tried over at barwell island. No luck but after an hour or two my wife wanted to try something else there so I put on a buzz bait & she managed two silvers on it in probably 15 minutes while over there. Seems like they are plentiful all around this summer.