Thread: Sport Jet powered Wooldridge Alaskan XL?

Default Sport Jet powered Wooldridge Alaskan XL?

If Wooldridge was to build a Sport Jet powered hull maybe the new Alaskan XL what would you guys think of this setup? Would you look at them more closely with the SJ power compared to an outboard jet?
    They have never tried the SJ power plant, the OB jet has worked well for them for many years. They have done many load tests with them lately to show the boats ability to haul a large load with modest power and get fuel consumption reports on each engine they have tried. I did hear one of the guys at the boat shop had 13 people in a 20 XL with a 175 Etec on step headed up river the other day.
    If they build one they would get a good load hauling test/fuel consumption report to get some comparisons for each powerplant on the same hull. I just thought I would ask for some input from other boaters or SJ owners out there.

Default interesting

I would make me think twice!! I think it would be a good option for that hull!

I think the SJ concept is an interesting idea and it will be fun seeing a fuel usage and performance comparison of it and an outboard jet. Would both power plants be the same HP rating?

I was also thinking the sport jets are promising motors with very good power to weight ratios. I thought I read somewhere though that Wooldridge does not think sport jets are compatible with their boats. Does anybody know? Also, how do sport jets compare to 4-stroke outboard motors for reliability?

Default Need my space

The problem is the engine cover taking up room in the boat. I hauled sheets off ply wood in my Alaska 2 this past weekend . if you need a work boat and room like i do ,i decided against the in board, Ive had two in the past. besides i need a shallow water boat ,and the AK 2 works good.
    the sport jet motor jet combo is a great designed sense they got the over heating concerns fix.

The sport jet would be a nice option if the noise level wasn't to bad. It would be interesting to see one in the xtra-plus also.
    I thought Glen tried one in the early to mid '90's, not sure.
    I'd like to replace my 17.5 alaskan with a 20' extra-plus or alaskan xl.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

There was a guy in town here who had an SJ installed in his Ak last year by someone in Prince George BC. Might have been Alicraft.
    Don't know what size Ak. He told me it cost him $35,000 for the convert, which seems absurdly expensive.
    Only advantage i can see with an IB in shallow water boats is it allows you to go slipping and sliding over gravel bars, big rocks etc, but then you are in to a whole different type of boat than a Wooldridge, more of a JetCrat Extreme Duty or Outlaw Lynx type boat. AND, as others have said, you lose room.
    In my old 17.5 Ak, the OBJ was never once a limiting factor for me in terms of where i ran it.
    That new AkXL, seems to me the beauty of it is all that room. Would be a shame to lose that if there wasn't a need.
    Off topic a bit, i hear rumours about a newer, more powerful version of the J-Max used in the Jetcraft/harbercraft boats.

the sport jet would be a great option in a wooldridge, they are good on fuel and run very shallow with a tunnel. 3" of water on step is plenty if your not loaded down. if anyone is interested in a 175 sport jet i have one complete, it would work good in an alaskan model that has an outboard to upgrade

Yes i would put one in the XL....that would be a good boat....you think that your 150hp or 175hp do good at hauling...this would do better all around AND

RUSTY PUPPY the dog house dose not get in my way when i haul wood
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh man what a concept! Been talking about it for a while. I've talked to The Boat shop guys about it. They told me they talked to Wooldridge about the idea, even put Glenn in a boat powered by the SJ, and he basically said they have built their boats this way, and it’s the right way. My Boat Shop connection even told me (and I know they are on here) that they were, in different words, waiting for Grant to take over, because he was more progressive and willing to look at other options. The SJ is an awesome motor (big Merc fan here), and I think it would put their great boats right up there. They claim to still be a custom shop, but limit your power choices?!?!?!? A friend bought a Sport last year (inboard), and it pushed the $65K mark…………………………for a frickin river boat! I mean it was custom and decked to the gills, but the motor alone was crazy expensive. The SJ are way more affordable than the big ole engines of the past. I would be very pleased to see a SJ powered Wooly. I am huge Wooly fan, and I don’t even own one (got an Almar, working on the Wooly), but I’m here to tell you, If they threw a SJ in a Wooly, and got good test results, I would be willing to break the bank to own one now. A Wooly Sport powered by a Merc 200 hp Sport jet…………………………….I like the sound of that! I’d give em $40k for that before $40k for an EXS or SJX!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    There was a guy in town here who had an SJ installed in his Ak last year by someone in Prince George BC. Might have been Alicraft.
    Don't know what size Ak. He told me it cost him $35,000 for the convert, which seems absurdly expensive.
    Only advantage i can see with an IB in shallow water boats is it allows you to go slipping and sliding over gravel bars, big rocks etc, but then you are in to a whole different type of boat than a Wooldridge, more of a JetCrat Extreme Duty or Outlaw Lynx type boat. AND, as others have said, you lose room.
    In my old 17.5 Ak, the OBJ was never once a limiting factor for me in terms of where i ran it.
    That new AkXL, seems to me the beauty of it is all that room. Would be a shame to lose that if there wasn't a need.
    Off topic a bit, i hear rumours about a newer, more powerful version of the J-Max used in the Jetcraft/harbercraft boats.
    You forgot cost.................an Merc Sj is way less expensive than what they run in their inboards. You get more horse power with a 350 chev, but at a very expensive cost.

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREME DUTY View Post
    I agree you can work around a doghouse the only thing that happens is it raises your center of gravity a bit compared to stacking supplies directly on the flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREME DUTY View Post
    Yes i would put one in the XL....that would be a good boat....you think that your 150hp or 175hp do good at hauling...this would do better all around AND

Those are fantastic pictures
    When Merc SJ calls the SJ model a 200, is that the powerhead, or its HP at the impeller?

Default SJ

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I think the SJ concept is an interesting idea and it will be fun seeing a fuel usage and performance comparison of it and an outboard jet. Would both power plants be the same HP rating?
    The 200 hp ob is the largest they have tested, 140hp at the jet and hauled 4100lbs
    http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/broch...0HO4100lbs.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    You forgot cost.................an Merc Sj is way less expensive than what they run in their inboards. You get more horse power with a 350 chev, but at a very expensive cost.
    The 200 SJ is cheaper to buy as a builder, than a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke without a jet!!!!

I have 4 footitis. I need a 20-22 foot boat that can handle a bit of rough lake water and still run fairly shallow. My neighbor has a 160HP Yamaha inboard and loves it. Sips fuel and plenty of power. Put that in a wider longer Wooldridge, get a new dealer for them and I will probably purchase one in the next year.

Default Yukoners answer

http://riverpro-boats.com/content/view/29/52/

This explains a little about the SJ horse poweer rating.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    The sport jet would be a nice option if the noise level wasn't to bad. It would be interesting to see one in the xtra-plus also.
    I thought Glen tried one in the early to mid '90's, not sure.
    I'd like to replace my 17.5 alaskan with a 20' extra-plus or alaskan xl.
    Glen will build you a 23 foot Alaskan. I have one for running up to the Koyukuk. Have carried about 4,000 pounds on deck and the 200 Optimax gets it up on step fast and easily. I burn about 12 gallons per hour running upstream in the Yukon with two entire moose on deck plus 200 gallons of gas and all our camping gear.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Glen will build you a 23 foot Alaskan. I have one for running up to the Koyukuk. Have carried about 4,000 pounds on deck and the 200 Optimax gets it up on step fast and easily. I burn about 12 gallons per hour running upstream in the Yukon with two entire moose on deck plus 200 gallons of gas and all our camping gear.
    200 Opti outboard? Or SJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    200 Opti outboard? Or SJ?
    Snowwolfe is running the 200 Optimax. His boat is a nice setup and great for hauling large loads. Two fronts seats and a large open area for storing supplies. Plus he is able to run a prop or a jet unit depending on water conditions.