Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't forget < > on your upcoming sheep hunt...

Default Don't forget < > on your upcoming sheep hunt...

Take a second and share one or two items that you find are important (and often overlooked) on a sheep/goat hunt....

One item I try to always remember is a roll of parachute cord. It is light, cheap. tougher than heck and works great for tent/bivy guy lines and for tying that ram skull to the pack...

One other item is a small cotton lens cloth for wet optics...poly clothing just doesn't cut it...

Thumbs up

Parachute cord has been a staple of mine since I was a teenager, at that point some goes in every pack of mine, a spool goes in my boat, and one goes in my truck.

Motrin or another non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication is always handy for sheep or goat hunts where we are never in the shape we need to be in and are constantly on the go with little recovery time.

Don't forget fire starting supplies and seasoning for this nice tenderloins!

Default hmmm...

I would say a lightweight cotton washcloth. Can be used for minor cleaning, as a sponge, to dry off after a stream crossing, etc.Many people might disagree with this one due to the weight, but something I will always take is a cleaning rod. Most people probably take the "ropes" or patches and string, like Tony Russ recommends, but I've been hunting before and had the sling come off my gun and it fall barrel first into the mud. Luckily when it happened to me I was only a quarter mile from the house, but you can see where that would end a remote hunt real quick if you didn't have something stiff to push the mud out. The strings are only good if you can get it through the barrel already. Putting tape over the end of the barrel MIGHT prevent this, but I still don't trust it.Those are my two...

Default special stuff to bring-sheep hunt

The 550 Cord (parachute) mentioned is a must, I wrap it around the top bar on my pack. Also, electrical tape wrapped on the top bar.

For me its, Steak seasoning in a small sealed plastic pill container----weighs hardly anything. I always try to bring a Letherman but they are weighty, but I see leatherman sells a lighter version with a carbon fiber handle, have to check it out.

I like to make a mix of my own seasonings and put it all in an empty spice container. Another item I always take with me is jerky, you can eat it right from the package or add it to a soup to give it more flavor.
    Oh yeah, don't forget that trekking pole too!

Default motrin +

I go see my physician and get a 10 pack of something stronger as an emergency measure. I do it once a year and don't abuse it. I'm honest and forward about my intentions and it's well recieved

I have plenty of sinarios in mind where I'm not incapacitated but seriously injured and I need to still travel. You can all use your imagination. Or how about being being seriously injured and setting there waiting for rescue or even worse death.

Once I've established communications, ect........I'll throw a few serious pain pills back and soldier on.

Thats a light weight comfort thing for me in remote situations. Of course I'm sattelite phoned up and being careful but as we know things just sometimes happen.

I guess one thing I like to bring that some folks don't is Surgical Gloves. I use the same ones that paramedics use that are thick and durable. Between fat, blood, and guts its just not easy to clean up my hands after processing game.

Default Don't forget

the crocs. I NEVER leave them home on a sheep hunt. Nothing better than pulling off the boots and having a pair of crocs to wear. Actually the cheap/aftermarket ones are even lighter than crocs and only cost $11. I am actually going to toss a pair of "lightweight" leather gloves in. I've gotten into some shale that I've had to jump and grab at to make it up the mountain and the gloves would save a lot of cuts! Surgical gloves are must along with lots of advil!!

Chapstick can be a lifesaver after a few days in the cool mountain breeze.

smoked salmon is a must after my cousin brought it on a scouting trip last year. Not the lightest food but fantastic to eat after the first hard day to help replenish your body.

Default Always

have a roll or two of athletic tape. Never know when that might be needed. Super glue also to glue cuts if necessary.

a good book, or two. Spent too much time in tent last year and the book saved me.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If you have sting allergies, don't forget that epi-pen!
    Those dry creek beds can be a haven for ground nests...

I second crocs. light, comfortable for the midnight bathroom break and also they don't soak up water just wipe them off and they are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I would say a lightweight cotton washcloth. Can be used for minor cleaning, as a sponge, to dry off after a stream crossing, etc.Many people might disagree with this one due to the weight, but something I will always take is a cleaning rod. Most people probably take the "ropes" or patches and string, like Tony Russ recommends, but I've been hunting before and had the sling come off my gun and it fall barrel first into the mud. Luckily when it happened to me I was only a quarter mile from the house, but you can see where that would end a remote hunt real quick if you didn't have something stiff to push the mud out. The strings are only good if you can get it through the barrel already. Putting tape over the end of the barrel MIGHT prevent this, but I still don't trust it.Those are my two...
    -although I would probably not be inclined to bring along a cleaning rod,(I opt for the light, compact,bore snake myself...and if the mud-in -the-barrel situation occurred, perhaps one could always preliminarily dislodge the mud with a tent stake, or pole...and then let it dry, and finish with the snake-?)...... I am glad you brought up the subject of slings...-
    I had a similiar thing happen to me, Hoosier, with my sling coming off(swivel issue).....except we were crossing a steep-grade snowslide....luckily I caught my rifle in time-

-since then, I always check and recheck my sling swivels....and wrap them prior, with electrical tape- I have found various swivels even made out of Kevlar(good prevention from breakage, but doesn't eliminate the loosening problem-)-I bring extra elec. tape along...(very partial roll, flattened)-and I ALWAYS tape the end of my barrel; pin ***** in the end -
    -wrapping the swivels seems to eliminate any inadvertant "squeaks" from them, as well-

-the parachute cord stressed here in this thread- I definitely agree!

-also, I like to bring a straight leather needle, and some heavy-duty carpet thread coiled up in a film canister, for any emerg. sewing-(for pack,etc-)-also,in the film canister, a couple of cotton patches soaked in anti-fog Rain-x for the rifle, and/or spotting scope-

-a second film canister with 800 mg.Ibuprofin, B-1, and a couple of Fisherman's Friends...

-a third film canister with cotton balls and vaseline-

-extra boot laces(also found some made out of Kevlar, for the Danners-)
    -I vaccuum-seal my extra pairs of socks, military glove liners,small first aid kit, and my ammo...

-if not sheep hunting down here on the Kenai (relatively close to home), I'll pack a second rifle scope, just in case- (qk.-release mount)

-a 4x6 blue tarp....**-spray-painted tan (Hammerite paint)on one side**-(the "blue" aspect of blue tarps annoy me-except for emergency purposes-)...-I like to reinforce the grommets with duct tape-
    -I love their many uses -
    - lean to-
    -ground cloth
    - to keep meat clean while boning out-
    -they can even be rolled up length-wise and bound tight with the parch. cord, for a larger makeshift "rope" -or sling, for whatever-

yeah, I agree with the chapstick, Ak Wonderer....chapped lips are awful!- did you know, though,that Snowseal also works great for that?

-those slip-on light hip waders from Wiggies are a LIFESAVER -

-and the "Steripen"water purifier from Barney's is compact and handy-
    - telescoping walking stick with the handy detatchable rifle monopod rest....

-the "Jetboil"...what a wonderful invention-

-a large section of heavy-duty alum. foil, folded up with Lawry's and black pepper sprinkled inside- great for roasting a hunk of meat -(I don't do pans, or camp skillets-no matter how compact-)

- small waterproof yellow pad /w.p. pen, from Surveyor's Exchange...

...chocolate-covered espresso beans....

-Lujon, that smoked salmon idea sounds awesome....!

-Mountain House cheesecake....what a treat after Ramen and oatmeal packets...

-ok, I'll stop now.....is it Aug. 10th, yet??
    (pretty darn close....)

-wishing everyone the best this year in your hunting endeavors...in safety, successful harvest, and memories....

Baby wipes and a very small tube of Vaseline to prevent "monkey butt."
    Extra pins/rings for my pack.
    Floss.
    Ear plugs so you can sleep through a storm or your partner's snoring.
    A few alcohol pads for wiping down my feet---your partner will appreciate this.
    If goat hunting, a small amount of iodine and rubber gloves to prevent Orf virus.

Glacial socks, to go over my wool socks....I forgot mine last year.

Three things I forgot last time and I regretted... baby wipes and goldbond powder for monkey butt and chapped nether regions..and leather gloves.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Use a few zip strips on that sling...

Sheephuntress....
    "a couple of cotton patches soaked in anti-fog Rain-x for the rifle, and/or spotting scope-"

Great idea! I'll remember that.
    The tape is also a good idea.
    We go a bit further and always wrap a stout zip strip around each of those sling points. It the sling fasten hooks fail (they are usually plastic and prone to failure) the zip ties hold as a back-up--this has happened to me twice.
    In each instance the zip tie held and saved a broken or knocked-off-zero scope.

The boulders and scree are unforgiving.

How about some duct tape wrapped on the stock of your gun, works for cuts,blisters,and the barrel of your gun,so you wont need the cleaning kit or the rod....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    How about some duct tape wrapped on the stock of your gun, works for cuts,blisters,and the barrel of your gun,so you wont need the cleaning kit or the rod....
    Yup.....but I just roll a partial roll onto itself and keep it in the pack.

Does anyone carry a little comfort item with them?

I get a few looks when I mention to folks that on all my sheep hunts I sleep in 600 thread count sheets My Minister of Finance made me a sleeping bag liner out of one for me. We may be killers but we ain't savages

I like a lite booty as well. I use the Sun Walkers out of my Wiggys pack boot.....nice for keeping the toes toasty while I'm getting hammered at crib.

All the best to you guys on your hunts this year. We're in on Friday afternoon.....opens today here

Thanx for letting a foreigner hang out......this is a great forum IMO.

tm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast