Thread: Kodiak Griz

Default Kodiak Griz

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so I am a Forum virgin so please bear with'me. I am over here in Iraq again but I have some good news. 1st, I will be coming home soon and 2nd, I won a DB228 Kodiak fall bear tag. I lucked out because when I put in for it I did not realize that it was road accessable. So I have to ask..........anybody have experience it that area and or any guidance to point me in the right direction? I will be going by myself or possibly with a buddy if I can drag someone along, also the regs are a little sketchy on wether or not I am allowed Sika deer in that area? Any and all guidance is welcomed. Thanks in advance. SFC Len Bogardus

You can access the area either on a 4 wheeler from the Kodiak road system or fly into Saltry lake. You can shoot deer in the area but to shoot them after Oct. 31 they must be west of the river. There are several streams/rivers in the area that have salmon spawning in them and these are a good place to start looking. Leaves will be off trees. Find a good place to spot and glass. The other thing is to find where bears are coming to look for salmon and lay and wait at dusk or slip in during dawn. Good luck and get back safe. Thank you for you service and one other note no body refers to a Kodiak brown as a Griz.

dieNqvrs: Brown.............I knew that! What was I thinking?LOL. For the deer west of which river (saltery)? Hey thank you very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated and you are welcome, but it is an Honor to be here for all of the people in the great state of Alaska.

Yeah it is the kodiak road system, a straight east from the mouth of saltry cove to Crag point, more or less the saltery river. There are nice bears around, will have to work at it. There is also a fair amount of traffic around with salmon fisherman, deer hunters, weekend wariors and other user groups so you work is cut out for you. Hunt hard and away from the traffic if possible. They tend to get nocturnal, so early dawn and late dusk are going to be your best chances.

Default Sgt. Len

prayers and thanks go out to you and your comrades. We truly appreciate your defense of our freedom May GOD Bless you and yours.
    concerning your Kodiak hunt. Send a personal message to BRWNBR a forum member and a great Bear guide, I feel sure he can be very helpful with your plans.
    Roland on the River

Default Solo skinning

Maybe you've already peeled the bark off a big bear before but.......doing it solo is a serious endevour. I don't care if you shoot one by yourself. I did. The skinning is what killed me. Just moving the bugger and holding up the arms and legs for nice strait cuts was a serious chore. Bring a line and pulley and rig it up to a tree to hold the arms and legs up. It takes extra time to rig it but will save ya if your gonna go solo about it. Better yet.....have a friend along.

Good luck and congrats. Look em over good before dropping em in the fall.

I drew that tag last year, and was fortunate enough to take a boar just over 8'. I would suggest being in a position to glass before the sun comes up. It seems that we saw all of our bears right at daylight and right at dusk. On the weekends you will have about two hours after day light before people start fishing and riding four wheelers in that area. If you go the first 15 days I would hunt the river, looking for bears eating silvers. I would also take big horse's advice about solo skinning.

Anyone on here hunted DB250 before? Any input appreciated.

Thanks
    Charlie

Thanks everyone for your replys and insight. I can't wait to get out this gigantic kittey litter box! talk to everyone later.

Default congrats on the tag!

I live in kodiak and I 've been fishing down there a lot the past month or so. Been seeing lots of bears sows with cubs and juvies mostly but their around. If youre intrested and decide to take ATV's Ive got a few I would be glad to let you use for the service you provide for all of us. hell Ill even help you get him out if you cant find anyone else to go with you.... quite a job for one man.

anyway let me know......

SEMPER PARATUS

Now THAT'S an AMERICAN offer Thanks ducks-n-dogs for elevating my opinion of humanity this afternoon. lenbo, take him up on his offer. If you haven't been to Kodiak it can be a daunting task the first time around.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I just got back from Kodiak with the Wounded Warrior Program, We had a few bears spotted just outside town.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lenbo375 View Post
    Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so I am a Forum virgin so please bear with'me. I am over here in Iraq again but I have some good news. 1st, I will be coming home soon and 2nd, I won a DB228 Kodiak fall bear tag. I lucked out because when I put in for it I did not realize that it was road accessable. So I have to ask..........anybody have experience it that area and or any guidance to point me in the right direction? I will be going by myself or possibly with a buddy if I can drag someone along, also the regs are a little sketchy on wether or not I am allowed Sika deer in that area? Any and all guidance is welcomed. Thanks in advance. SFC Len Bogardus
    First piece of advice - DON'T GO BY YOUR SELF - PERIOD.
    Certainly has been done and done successfully, but then, lots of people have crash landed airplanes and walked away from the crash site - probably doesn't mean "crash landings" are the way to go.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

Default Veterans

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Now THAT'S an AMERICAN offer Thanks ducks-n-dogs for elevating my opinion of humanity this afternoon. lenbo, take him up on his offer. If you haven't been to Kodiak it can be a daunting task the first time around.
    I second that and thanks for helping out, Ducks-n-Dogs. I wasn't in the service but my dad was a WWII vet and I would hope someone helped him out because of his service. Rep points sent, thanks, Mark

Default Ducks and Dogs

Wow! your offer of kindness takes my breath away! Thank you so very much for that offer. You Sir, is why I am proud to be an American and even more so to be given the oppurtunity to be an Alaskan. Please send me a private message so I can contact you when I get there, and it would be my honor to buy you a cup of coffee. I have found someone to go with me and we are taking the ferry so we can bring our atvs and make a go at them Browns. I am also thinking about chasing them goats in DG471 also. Anyone have any info on the goats in that area that they would be willing to share? Thanks to everyone that has responded to my posts, oh and by the way I am a wolverines fan also. GO BLUE!

Default Its the least I can do...

Thanks for all the kind words (from everyone). Ive only been a member for a few months and have recived a lot of help form others on this fourm. So thanks to all those out there that are willing to give a hand...

lets keep it going.

PM sent.