Thread: Tips for Lakers on a fly...?

Default Tips for Lakers on a fly...?

Anyone have any tips on Lake trout on a fly? Heading up to an interior lake and I've only used spin/baitcast gear for these guys in the past. I would assume drys and terrestrials? anyone willing to help with some recipes?

Thanks,
    Chad
    ...been on a search to top my 30x18 rainbow for 13 years now...I guess it's game time!!!
    13' Aire WildCat, 9' 7wt SAGE RPLXI, 10' 5wt SAGE XP, .300 RUM Zeiss 3x9 when all else fails

Default Deep?

Seems like they'd be deep. I haven't fly fished for lakers, but recall reading that the appeal of early spring laker fishing is that it's one of the few times of the year lake trout cruise the shoreline - around the edges of the remaining ice...hungry. I keep it in the back of my mind - maybe one day to make it out to Lake Louise (or someplace) to try it out. I'll be interested to hear the comments and good luck on your trip.

Default I'm with Dwight...

I would be fishing very deep. Type III 14' sink tips perhaps and about 3' of 10-12 lb leader. I bought some flies for lakers but regretably didn't even use them. It was a float trip and I knew they were in the headwater lake, but we got a late start that day due to weather so we loaded up the boats and took off downriver. Won't make that mistake again. So for fishing Alaska, the lake trout is my white elephant it would seem. I took the flies in the upper left side of this fly box below for lakers. Made out of a shiny material and about 3.5" long on #2 hooks if memory serves. My intent was to mimmick some likely baitfish patterns. Keep in mind I am from North Carolina and to date have never hooked a lake trout

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Tubes View Post
    Anyone have any tips on Lake trout on a fly? Heading up to an interior lake and I've only used spin/baitcast gear for these guys in the past. I would assume drys and terrestrials? anyone willing to help with some recipes?

Thanks,
    Chad

They are running too deep my fellow flyfisherman. Too much light, lil too much temp.

It's probably too late for this year for the easy way as temps are up and etc. but as was said, spring time keeps them in the upper water column...and if you have smolt running out, they will be there at points and river mouths to bushwack em....as the ice recedes is definitely the time to do it....near dark and at night helps as well.

But, a buddy of mine has had good success using a full sink line for summer lakers....if you can get a good flashy fly or leech down 20 to 40 feet and slow troll or drift that rig in a raft/zodiac/ boat etc. you may call some up. He's done well in the Tikchik lakes all the way into mid July. Not exactly fly fishing....more like lead core trolling but it certainly works.

Smile Hot water, lakers down deep.

With this year having a real full blown summer those lakers are down deep. Take a fish finder with you to locate the fish depth. I use a Fish Buddy on my Dave Scadden pontoon rafts. You are going to have to use a deep water express fly line and your fly will need to be a bright colored lead head bunny leech. This is where I use the stop watch feature on my chronograph watch to count off the seconds to depth. You could also just use a sinking shooting head with mono spooled on the reel to reduce line drag. Hope this helps, this is what I do, but spring and fall is the best times to fly fish for lakers. Tight lines.

Default lake outlets

We had some luck last week at the outlet of the Kanektok River from Pageti Lake catching lakers. Throwing black leaches with a lot of flash in about 10ft of water. Nothing huge, most were 16-24 inches. What a blast of a 6wt. You might try some of the local lake outlets.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I second the leach patterns. I don't use a fly rod but I do use flies.

Wait a couple months. Look for baitfish on the surface.
    Last edited by Dirtofak; 07-15-2009 at 17:03. Reason: spelling correction

Default Spot On Deep and Dirty

Have to 100 % agree the average Laker is running deep and we have been hot hot hot so they will want to find their Thermalcline comfort zone for the most part.

A sure fire fly is a Clouser Deep Minnow and a sink tip line fishing 12-20ft down. Makes for slow day of casting to reach the fish.

Outlets and Inlets to lakes are always decent and of course you will have to adjust your method of fishing to meet the water depth 3-5ft of water fish structure you should be fine. As an example the outlet to Paxson East Fork of the Gulkana produces lakers most of the year 16-24 inches more along the 16-18 inch range but they are present.

If yor are heading to a lake that has ample shore structure i.e. drop-offs from rock walls concentrate there if you have a boat and you should have some sucess

If you go to Upper Tangle Lake at the inlet the water drops from about 2ft to 20 darn fast high concentrates of O2 and structure alwasy a good place to cast.

Same goes for most of the decent lake trout lakes in and around the Pasxon area.

Best wishes! Tight Lines!

Blue Moose

I have been wanting to try this.

If you have a boat and can troll. Try letting line out instead of casting. Troll slow, like 1 mph. I have caught a few on a black pike leach this way on a baitcaster.

spring, fall, or sloughs on big western Alaska rivers as it turns out...

also wooly buggers, good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.