Thread: Which new Nikon??

Default Which new Nikon??

D90/D200/D300

Which one and why?

Canon 50D.

OK, seriously this time ...

D300 is a great camera with weather proofing included. Both the D90 and D300 have very good high ISO noise control. D200 is older and inferior in image quality and features. Get the D300 if you can afford it, or the D90 if you want to spend less, or invest the difference in lenses.

Shoulda figured I'd get a canon response....but I already have invested in nikon equipment for my D40...:P

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Canon 50D.
    +1 on that

Just kidding. Nikon makes great stuff. You need to hear from our resident Nikon guru "Floyd Davidson".

Shoot him a pm as he can tell you more about these cameras than you want to know. Seriously

Also, go to www.photo.net and go to the Nikon forum. Post this same question there and you will get many replies. Tons of activity on that forum.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Shoulda figured I'd get a canon response....but I already have invested in nikon equipment for my D40...:P

Lots of us here use Canons, but don't read too much into that. Nikon has a very loyal following as well. It just happens to be that many of us here own (and love) Canon gear. To be honest, I had a very hard time deciding between the two when I first got into photography about 18 months back. Both have so much to offer. Matter of fact, I bought my dad a D40 for Christmas. Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Ditto on what Dan said. I got back into photography after a 20 year hiatus, and my equipment decision was driven by two things:

1 - Nikon's reputation dating back to my film days (I actually shot Minolta back then, but lusted for Nikon)

2 - I had purchased my son Canon gear, and didn't want him "borrowing" all my stuff!

I started on the D80, and now shoot the D300. Jim gave good advice. Get the D300. It's not Nikon's top of the line, but the cost delta is HUGE to step up to the next level (D700 or D3), and it's going to be a good camera body for years to come. The sensor is a little better than that on the D90, but the D90 gives you the ability to shoot video. Make sure you understand the limits of shooting video on the dslr, as I believe you lose the ability to AF while shooting video.

With prices on the D300/D90, I wouldn't look at the D200 - the IQ and high ISO performance falls far short of the other two as Jim pointed out.

Don't sweat those Canon guys - they're jealous and they were abused children.

Good luck with the choice,

John

This last weekend I had a similar type question with a professional photographer (Nikon guy). As far as he was concerned, there would be no question for him, he would go with the D90 over the others (he has all three). It boiled down to the bang for the buck and what he uses most, and he really loves the D90. Overall though he is a D700 man, but he is serioulsly looking into going to Canon...that shocked me...because he likes the direction they are going. Enteresting/educational discussion.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

D90. Because you can buy the complete kit w/two lenses at Costco. 12 megapixel stills and HD video. It's a great camera.