Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Bag? Barney's Pack

Default Moose Bag? Barney's Pack

I looking to buy a new pack frame and bag this year. I currently have a cabelas that I have wore out in the last 4 years. I want to get a Barney's frame, but the packs do not look as big as the older ones. I need to be able to stick a hind quater in it. Anyone have any experiance with the current model bags for moose hunting? The one my friend has is a 15 year old bag with one large center pocket and two side pockets and it works great.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JboeslAK View Post
    I looking to buy a new pack frame and bag this year. I currently have a cabelas that I have wore out in the last 4 years. I want to get a Barney's frame, but the packs do not look as big as the older ones. I need to be able to stick a hind quater in it. Anyone have any experiance with the current model bags for moose hunting? The one my friend has is a 15 year old bag with one large center pocket and two side pockets and it works great.

Jason
    The Pinnacle bag is plenty big for what you want. It is nearly large enough to use as a ground blind

Quote Originally Posted by JboeslAK View Post

Jason
    Get a barneys Pinacle pack and you can fit a moose quarter easily.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The Pinnacle bag is plenty big for what you want. It is nearly large enough to use as a ground blind
    Of course!! What else do you guys use for ground blinds?

+1 the pinnacle will hold a rear moose quarter or a large brown bear hide. Just be careful a moose or bear haven't bedded down in side of it when you pick it up in the morning!

Brett

Does the pinnacle use the shelf?

Jason

No, the biggest that uses the shelf is the Hunter.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

JboeslAK, if you do find yourself ready to pull the trigger on a new Barneys pack, give me a shout..I have a brand new one for sale. Full frame w/ shelf and their mid-sized pack in Kevlar, I believe the hunter.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Barneys Hunter pack

I used a Barneys Hunter pack and packed out a 140 lb Hind quarter from my moose just fine while i was up the haul road on a tag I drew in 2007.

Default Do you still have your pack?

Do you still have the Barneys pack for sale? I'm looking at possibly picking one up. I'd prefer the Pinnacle bag, but could work with the Hunter if the price was right (I assume that this is the freighter frame).

Default Bob pack

I just got my new barneys BOB pack and it is one of the smaller with no shelf but it is still big enough for a moose and the Bob is designed for a smaller frame torso.

Why do you need to put a hind quarter inside the bag? Tie it on.

The Pinnacle bag carries too much weight too low. If you want to put a hind inside the bag you'll need to put something below it to prop it up. Take garbage bags!

Smile PM

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    JboeslAK, if you do find yourself ready to pull the trigger on a new Barneys pack, give me a shout..I have a brand new one for sale. Full frame w/ shelf and their mid-sized pack in Kevlar, I believe the hunter.
    I sent you a PM.

i agree the ONE problem with the pinnacle is how low the weight rides if you load 'er up heavy (150lbs plus)...actually there is one other problem...the shoulder straps aren't waterproof and if it rains and you put your pack on later you shirt gets wet...i've tried silcone spray and nothing has helped so far.
    a 10'6" kodiak will fit in a pinnacle...
    a 154lb moose hind quareter, 25lb backstrap, 10lb rack of rips and 10lb tenderlion (give or take a few) will all fit in a pinnacle pack...just make sure your back is ready....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Why do you need to put a hind quarter inside the bag? Tie it on.

The Pinnacle bag carries too much weight too low. If you want to put a hind inside the bag you'll need to put something below it to prop it up. Take garbage bags!
    I found after having to pack several bulls close to two miles, that I like to just slide the quarter into my pack tighten the straps and go. Thats why I want a bag large enough to put a quarter in but still rests right on the shelf on the frame.

Jason

I have the moose pack from Barney's and found it to work well to what I want to carry. Just packed out 3 quarters from my buddy's bou to cut the trip down. They fit in the bag no problem. Got to love the Barney's bag.

I dont have it yet, but this is the pack I want. You can use it as your day pack or load it down.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/packs/55/nice-crew-cab.html

Any chance Barney's is going to make a pack with features like this soon?

Not to be a butt, but I believe that's what they make sinch straps for. Perhaps I missed something about it.

Brett

Take a better look at it. It uses a pack frame with an expandable pack on the back. When its expanded you can carry load cells ( large bags designed to fit in the center of the pack ), or use the center like a pack shelf with the day pack part on the outside holding everything in place. When its collapsed it rides like a day pack. Right now I carry a day pack than have to go back to camp or the 4wheeler to get my pack frame to haul out anything. This would take the place of both without me having to carry both bags with me. On backpack trips I could drop the load cells with my food, tent, and sleeping gear at camp and collapse the pack back to day pack configuration.

I went with the Barney's Pack, Picked it up today. May even have been Brett who sold it to me.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast