Thread: Want opinion on used Bayliner Trophy to buy

Question Want opinion on used Bayliner Trophy to buy

I am looking at a guy's 21' Trophy, 1991 model. It has a Mercury XRS 150HP outboard, sold as a 2003 model in 2006. Has about 200 hrs on it. Has a Suzuki 8HP kicker, new canvas, marine radio, Garmin GPS with dual frequency, decent galv trailer, single axle. Hull appears to be sound, I didn't see any crack. Motor looks clean under the cover. He says he always flushed it after ocean trips.
    This would be my 1st boat. I plan to take my 3 boys, 8 and under out. Looks like cuddy cabin would accomodate us, albeit tightly!! PWS, Homer, etc... Bayliners seem to get a bad rap, so tell me what you all think about this. Asking price is $12,200.00.
    I would love a Seasport or the like, but price is 2X(at least) for same era boat. I know we are not comparing apples to apples, so please just tell me honest opinions about this package. Thanks all.

I`m shopping for the same boat and that one has been reduced in price lately. Take it for a ride and judge for yourself. The Trophy does great in big water but will rock pretty hard side to side if parked sideways in big swells. I fish 2-3 people and only overnight with 2 so it`s a reasonable boat. In your case w/3-4 along it will be tight for the big fish harpoon moments but should work if you can handle bouncing off of each other once in a while. As far as I can tell they aren`t problematic but the fuel guage is suspect and a flo-scan or other fuel monitor is recommended. Look inside the ports in the hull and see how well it was really cared for. Price looks good to me but need to sell my Jeep first.

I have a 20' trophy walkaround cuddy cabin. 1991. It is a good boat but like everyone else, I would love to have the 23 or 25! The 20 does ok but you definetely want to put a set of trim tabs on that boat. The front end is way too light on that boat compared to that back end and wants to bounce bad when the seas get rough. The trim tibs also let me run almost 5 mph slower while staying on step. This also helps out alot on rougher water. You will not regret the $500 you spend on a set of tabs. Other than that, I really do like the boat, just would like more room, and I think the 23 is balanced way better than the 20. I bought mine with the old force 150 2 stroke on it and have since put a 150 4 stroke yami on it. All I can say is I love the 4 stroke.

I had a 1994 20' with a 150 Merc on the back end, coupled with a 15 hp Merc kicker. If you're buying it for today with plans on "just making it work", start saving now because you will succumb to "two-foot-itis". In other words, you'll be looking for a bigger boat very shortly, especially as the kids grow bigger.

It's a good boat if taken care of (just like any other boat), but it's too small to fish more than 2 full grown men. Trying to keep track of 3 small boys, and move back to the stern (if you're trolling) to net a fish can be an act of contortion. I'd look at the 24' Bayliner, much more stable boat, and big enough to fish 4, and it still has the cuddy. The 20' will also beat the crap out of you as mentioned by a previous poster. I'm still trying to work the kinks out of my back from the "Seward chop" from four years ago. I went to the boat in my sig after two seasons with the Bayliner, and while it's a night and day comparison, bigger is better. Good luck with the decision . .

Oh yeah . . what theultrarider said " . . .I love the 4 stroke". If you buy a boat with a 2-stroke, save pennies for the 4 stroke - it's worth it just from the smell perspective!

Cheers,

SH

Real good info from previous posts. Regarding your statement on Bayliners having a bad rep.
    The biggest pro IMHO of Bayliners is their space/layout, which is very well utilized. BUT...the price is kind of telling...very inexpensive. You do get what you pay for...and your resale value will fall considerably as well. I'm not trying to knock Bayliners...I would buy one simply for the features they offer...but it is what it is.
    That being said...as long as you know that, what the hey! It sure beats no boat at all! I would take the previous comments regarding the size to heart though. Having 2 boys myself...you may find yourself wanting more very soon. But again...if this is what you can afford, it beats the heck out of nothing.
    If you're looking at doing more exploring by trailering to different places, you're definitely more mobile with a smaller boat.

Here another worth a look...23' with a suposedly new/rebuilt motor and a spare.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1271681211.html

Smile Thanks everyone, good info.

Thank you all for your information and advice. I happen to be going to Fbks this weekend, so I will take a look at this 23 footer. I appreciate you all.