Thread: Jet Boil problems?

Default Jet Boil problems?

Has anyone here experienced problems with long boil times with the jet boil? I have one and so do two friends of mine. Their units boil 2 cups of water in about 2 minutes and with the same water and a full canister of fuel, mine will take 4-5 minutes to boil.

I've searched online for troubleshooting guides, but there doesn't seem to be much published on this.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had similar problems and how they solved them.

Thanks,
    Richard

I've noticed that the boil times on mine is variable with temperature and wind.

On a real windy day mine will barely boil water at all, There doesn't appear to be any sort of windscreen on it by design. Place it out of the wind and it boils water very fast. Not a huge deal but it seems significantly more sensitive to wind than other types of stoves I've used. I've used my pack, a map and some other items for a improv wind screen with good success.

I've had long boil times in cold temps (below 10F or so) as well. Carrying the fuel can in a pocket helps and gets the canister pressure up.

I've had pretty steady boil times for 4-5 minutes in 15 degrees F and on my back deck in Anchorage yesterday and today. It doesn't seem to mind the temperature, but it has never boiled water in under 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I've had pretty steady boil times for 4-5 minutes in 15 degrees F and on my back deck in Anchorage yesterday and today. It doesn't seem to mind the temperature, but it has never boiled water in under 3 minutes.
    try it with the lid on
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default got that part

Yeah, I got that figured out. Read the instructions, read everything there is online about the jetboil that I can find. My brother and best friend have the exact same thing as I do. They can boil water quickly, mine takes at least twice as long with the same water, elevation, and temperature.

I've been playing with it on my porch in Anchorage. Tap water, fuel containers that are full and half full, no wind, temperature about 60 degrees, still 4-5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    try it with the lid on

Default The basics...

Jet boils are great tools...but sometimes folks don't realize that the little radiator on the bottom of the cup can work both for you and against you. If the wind is blowing the heat to the side of the cup, the wind will also cool the fins off significantly. Try getting that little guy out of the wind. Using the plastic cup over the radiator fins after boiling will keep things substanitally hotter for a longer period of time too.

As for your long boil times outside of the windy conditions, it's possible you've got a clogged, partially obstructed, or just plain old defective orafice that's not allowing enough gas to flow. Jetboil has been pretty good on their customer service. Suggest you send it back and have the factory recalibrate the gas flow.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Are you using the same brand of fuel? I've read where certain brand of fuels burn hotter than others. Bob from Barneys did a short gear talk at a seminar a while back and he also mentioned this.

Well I talked to their customer service folks, very good service by the way, and I'll be sending it in. We went through everything that I could do anything with. It sounds like the key to this type of problem is the hole that the fuel comes through. If you take the valve and jet unit off the bottom of the stove you'll see a very small brass bolt witha hole in the top. If you pull this bolt out, you'll find a little chunk of cotton in there. The first step (I found this online) is to remove about 1/2 of that cotton and then roll it up and stuff it back in there. If that doesn't fix the problem then the hole is probably a little bit too small. If not enough gas gets through there then it doesn't cook hot enough to boil the water quickly.

I'll let everyone know how things work out after I get my jetboil back.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Well I talked to their customer service folks, very good service by the way, and I'll be sending it in. We went through everything that I could do anything with. It sounds like the key to this type of problem is the hole that the fuel comes through. If you take the valve and jet unit off the bottom of the stove you'll see a very small brass bolt witha hole in the top. If you pull this bolt out, you'll find a little chunk of cotton in there. The first step (I found this online) is to remove about 1/2 of that cotton and then roll it up and stuff it back in there. If that doesn't fix the problem then the hole is probably a little bit too small. If not enough gas gets through there then it doesn't cook hot enough to boil the water quickly.

I'll let everyone know how things work out after I get my jetboil back.

Please just try one more thing before you send it in.........turn the stove on.......observe the flame......attempt to tighten the fuel canister a slight bit more........and observe if the flame gets larger.

Sometimes canister stoves can be a bit finnicky when they are not tightened enough. Get back with us and let us know if this fixes it.

Before playing with the bottle as the burner is lit, make sure your model JetBoil was not recalled.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Jetboil fixed...kinda

Well, I'll say this about Jetboil, they have great and prompt customer service. I sent it in and about 10 days later it was back at my house. I figure 3-4 days of that was going back and forth.

They replaced the valve and igniter.

It seems to work just fine, but it still takes a while to boil water, especially when it is cold. Now since cold water is what I have typically found up here during hunting season, I have decided that my solution will be to try not to boil water that is ice cold. I figure that if I carry it around for a little while before boiling it or keep it in the tent at night. Either that or I'll just deal with it.