Thread: What do y'all do for water on your remote properties?

Default What do y'all do for water on your remote properties?

What does one do for water on remote properties? I am interested in a coastal piece of remote land (Kenai). I'd like to drill a well but wouldn't it come up salty?

You could install a cistern and put in a small pump and filter system, then on the cabin install a metal roof and drain it into the cistern. A system like this would be inexpensive to install and as long as the cistern is buried properly (deep enough) you would have no problems with it. You will need to figure average rainfall to the amount of water usage you will need. Even a small roof will drain a large amount of water during light rain.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    What does one do for water on remote properties? I am interested in a coastal piece of remote land (Kenai). I'd like to drill a well but wouldn't it come up salty?
    Call Kraxburger's well drilling in Kenai/Soldotna, generally salt is not the issue, arsenic, iron, coal oil.

I like this idea. Thanks. But why is deeper better?

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Even a small roof will drain a large amount of water during light rain.
    Not when it is -37.4* Below zerro for 4 1/2 months and -17* Below for 2 more months.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    I like this idea. Thanks. But why is deeper better?
    Deeper is better because the ground freezing will push it out of the ground if it is not burried deep enough.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Not when it is -37.4* Below zerro for 4 1/2 months and -17* Below for 2 more months.
    That all depends on usage, if he is only going to use for 6 months out of the year and a hunting trip or two then it would work just fine. Either that or build a big enough one to last that long.

A well is the best solution. Even if all you'll do is to fill 5 gallon pails at the well head you'll appreciate clean, abundant, on-demand water. Sometimes drilling a well is impractical and the other alternatives are necessary, but a well is always the first choice.