Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE713, Afognak Elk

Default DE713, Afognak Elk

Hey all,

I drew Afognak Elk DE713, cow season 10/08-10/22. Looking for:

- Anyone else that drew the tag, want to hunt together? I'm 28, ex-military guy, work on Ft. Rich, killed a couple animals so I have experience, safe hunter, smart shooter, have a ton of equipment, etc.

- Any information on locations/spots to hunt on the island

- Any information on drop-off services to Afognak

Thanks!

-Ken

Anyone used Sea Hawk Air to fly around Kodiak or Afognak? Looks like a good operation... any feedback appreciated! Thanks!

-Ken

Took them out 2 years ago for a goat hunt. My buddy took the biggest deer taken in the state, I took the 5th (for that year, according to the Boondocks Store competition). Both also got NICE goats as well. They are an awesome outfit and worked with us!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default seahawk air

Roland and his crew have always treated me well and we talked to him about elk for next year this springw hen we were there bear hunting. Good luck on your hunt,

Thanks for the feedback!

Still looking for anyone who has done this hunt before and can provide some experience/details/stories. Looks difficult, but do-able, maybe on the west portion of the lower island? Seems the east side of that lower section is all native corporation land ><

-Ken

I have hunted Afognak twice once with Seahawk Air and once with Andrews. I would go back out with either one. I liked Seahawk because Roland is the only pilot and I felt very comfortable with him in the air. what I did not like was the fact that they left me at the airport for more than an hour at 7:00 in the morning! they forgot I was supposed to be picked up! I did not think the kid working for them or office staff was that great at customer service, but Roland was great. Andrews is great at customer service from my expierence and are a bigger operation. I would probably choose Andrews if going back just because Seahawks office staff.
    Jason

have hunted elk once and bear once never seen even one on the ground only from the air. Tons of bear! Tons! fresh tracks every morning every direction I went. The deer hunting is pretty good. you are far more likley to see deer IMO. last November I seen 4 bucks and 2 dows

I drew the Raspberry Island cow tag a few years back and hunted. Never found one Elk. Didn't have the opportunity to fly over to view but have family just across the way towards Anton Larson Bay (Not Larsen Bay) which makes easy access.. Pretty difficult hunt. Weather wasn't great, some steep climbs. Lot's of bear there too. Nice deer. But, again, that's not Afognak, that's Raspberry. Keep in mind too, there is a lot of Native and Private Property in both places.

Yes...I have used both Seahawk Air and Harvey Flying Service on Kodiak bear hunts....you couldn't go wrong with either.....both are top of the line!
    It was fun to fly in Harvey's Grumman Widgeon!

I would like to bump this thread to get some info of my own. I got drawn for DE 713 this year. I searched through many threads on this subject and didn't get answers to my specific questions.

According to www.afognak.com, it appears that about 2/3 of the hunting area is Native land parcels of two different types, subject to what I'd consider usurious land use fees. Does that mean the remaining 1/3 on the west side of the island is just State lands? Any permission required if you only go there? Any private properties to avoid?

From the map it looks logical to hire a float plane and land at one of the Malina Lakes, and then camp nearby. Has anyone on here done that?

Shortly after being drawn, I got mailers from Seahawk air and Andrews air, but nothing about their rates? Roughly what could a guy expect to pay to be taken from Kodiak townsite to Malina Lakes and then back again in a week? The one outfit only has a Beaver, and I know they're not cheap... but it's gotta only be about a 20 minute flight... unless they also fly you around looking for the game.

seahawk is based on weight figure out how much going in give them a call they will give you a price. I wouldn't have my heart set on one place those elk move a lot. Also bring a spike camp as they may be high up.

I've flown with Seahawk Air recently. Like it was mentioned they are a single pilot operation with one plane that they charge different rates for depending on weight. Roland knows Kodiak better than a lot of the younger pilots flying for the larger air services. He will most likely be cheaper as well. Andrew airways keeps their aircraft in top condition so I wouldn't be concerned about mechanical issues with them. They also have a great reputation around town. Either choice would be good.

If I were you, I would look into paying those land fees. From what I've heard there once was two elk herds that have merged into one and are much tougher to find. I would hate to pass a shot up due to land usage restrictions.

I'm heading out there to help a buddy with his tag in October, depending on where we get dropped off it's $1000-$1200 round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I'm heading out there to help a buddy with his tag in October, depending on where we get dropped off it's $1000-$1200 round trip.
    Split across four guys... I could live with that. As for the suggestion of getting the land use permits in case the herd is on Native land... I have been mulling that over... wouldn't want to get there and find out the herd is on Native land and I didn't pay the fee to access it. Just the $100 per night camping fee seemed atrocious... guess a person could set up their camp on public land and hike in every day.

As for elk hunting, it's the one species I have hunted successfully... in Alberta... lots of uphill hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Split across four guys... I could live with that. As for the suggestion of getting the land use permits in case the herd is on Native land... I have been mulling that over... wouldn't want to get there and find out the herd is on Native land and I didn't pay the fee to access it. Just the $100 per night camping fee seemed atrocious... guess a person could set up their camp on public land and hike in every day.

As for elk hunting, it's the one species I have hunted successfully... in Alberta... lots of uphill hiking.

With 4 guys and an elk down you'll end up needing another flight out, adding alittle to the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post

According to www.afognak.com, it appears that about 2/3 of the hunting area is Native land parcels of two different types, subject to what I'd consider usurious land use fees. Does that mean the remaining 1/3 on the west side of the island is just State lands? Any permission required if you only go there? Any private properties to avoid?
    http://mapper.landrecords.info/

Will answer your ownership questions...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i planned it in full detail a few years back from fairbanksd back and had a cabin in the deal for just under 2200.00.. solo
    would have had my truck in kodiak too and a raft on the hunt
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

With 4 guys and an elk down you'll end up needing another flight out, adding alittle to the cost.
    With a Beaver? Geez I flew in to Rainy Pass with 1000+ lb of groceries and a pilot no problem so I figured we'd only be limited by the number of seatbelts...

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    http://mapper.landrecords.info/

Will answer your ownership questions...
    That's a cool link, thanks; though it shows SW Afognak as being blank? I might have to play with the layers a bit....

Afognak Native Corp has a joint land use permit policy map, I don't have the link but it is easy to find. I'm surprised you didn't get one in the mail from them as well, it will hosw you the boundries & allowable uses along with a phone number for questions.

I don't see any way to get in & out with four people, gear & meat in one trip. I would plan on two which is still fairly reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast