Thread: trip to Alaska/ best spots

Default trip to Alaska/ best spots

Hello, I'm planning to come to Alaska next month and like i'm very enthusiastic with wildlife picturing, i would be grateful to have your opinion on best spots. My trip is actually planned on 2 weeks as(Not really original...)
    Anchorage- Whittier (or Seward?)
    Whittier - to Denali national Park
    Part of Denali Highway
    Denali- Fairbanks
    Fairbanks- Dalton highway to polar circle??? worth it ??
    Fairbanks - Valdez
    Valdez Anchorage

you might give me some advices on the places to stop or to go..

Thanks a lot

The Kenai is nice. Been there a few times and used Seward as a home base. The below images were taken from the Kenai last May. Most the wildlife images came on a day cruise with Kenai Fjords Tours. Do their "Captains Choice" trip. Check their website for more info and make reservations soon as it fills up. Small boat with about 15 people or so. The Russian Orthodox church was in Ninilchik. Clam Gulch is nice. Of course Homer is worth seeing if down that way. Just a beautiful area. If going in two weeks, hope you plan to do some fishing. If you fish, check Troutfitters of Alaska and Gwins Lodge websites. Tons of good guides in the area if you need one. Any specific questions on the Kenai, shoot me a pm. Happy to tell you what I can. Click on the link below to see the slideshow...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...95387576/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by ntaverne View Post
    Hello, I'm planning to come to Alaska next month and like i'm very enthusiastic with wildlife picturing, i would be grateful to have your opinion on best spots. My trip is actually planned on 2 weeks as(Not really original...)
    Anchorage- Whittier (or Seward?)
    Whittier - to Denali national Park
    Part of Denali Highway
    Denali- Fairbanks
    Fairbanks- Dalton highway to polar circle??? worth it ??
    Fairbanks - Valdez
    Valdez Anchorage

you might give me some advices on the places to stop or to go..

Thanks a lot
    I think I would narrow your trip down just a bit. If I were coming up here for 2 weeks, I would spend it south of Anchorage. Seward, Homer and the such. Your trip up north on the Haul Road should just about be a separate trip all by itself. Between finding someone to rent a car for that road, the time getting from place to place will not allow you to spend much time doing other things. So I would stay south. Good luck and post some shots when your done!!
    EricL

I agree that you're planning on covering too much of Alaska in a 2 week period. Staying on the Kenai Peninsula for the duration is not a bad idea either; lots to see there.

If you do get over towards the Valdez area I would take a couple days driving to, and touring the McCarthy/Kennecott town and mining areas. It's a slow, but scenic, 60 mile drive on a poor dirt road, but it is worth it.

Another would be to take the ferry from Valdez to Cordova, and from there drive out to the Million Dollar Bridge. There is a campground there, and right across the river Childs Glacier will be calving into it. It's quite a sight and sound to experience. It's about as close to a calving glacier as you can get and still be reasonably safe.

The drive through Keystone Canyon to get to Valdez is another photo op, but from there I would use the ferry to get back to Whittier, as that is a beautiful ride at any time.

You could take one week around the Kenai, and if you then wanted to expereince another area, take the second week either around the Prince William Sound/Valdez/McCarthy/Codova area, or up to Denali Park. I wouldn't try to do it all in two weeks; you'd miss it all doing that.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Well there is. some good advice here on where to go in this HUGE Great State of Alaska.

Personally I would take a different route, .. .. From Anchorage go NORTH, to Palmer - up to Majestic Valley !! That has to be the best, VIEW, I have yet to see, anywhere in this entire state.

I have driven from Valdez to Prudhoe Bay many many times and everyplace in between.

but the ride from Palmer to Fairbanks on the Glenn & back down to Anchorage using the Richardson Highway is a ride that will keep you busy - Oh Ah ! WoWoW !! for two days easily. I remember the very first time I viewed Majestic Valley - My friend and I just stopped, got out and sang " My country tis of theee !!! It is so spectacular it cannot be put into words.

Be sure to visit all the other places mentioned but I had to put in my 2 cents worth. That view of Majestic Valley will be something you will never forget !!

I hope that you post your images here. I would love to see, what you can do with YOUR CAMERA !! I don't care what type you have, All cameras can create an Image !! Lets see what you can do with yours!!!

Just do it "F.A.S.T." = Focus - Aperature - Shutter - Think !!

Thank you very much for sharing us your experience. I have never been there so i haven't any picture of there. Reading your post i think i should i go there and take some experience. I have one pic that is on my computer i like most.

Holiday Cottages Learn Holiday Cottages England

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Amy 4565; WoWoW !!!

That photograph is truely an outstanding image to be proud of.

I do not care what camera and lens you used to create that image. It is truely stunning indeed.

Imagine an artist creating a portrait, would you dare ask ?? what pencil did you use to create that ? NO because it doesn't make a difference !

It is the SKILL of that Artist - ONLY !!

My best friend, has a professional DSLR - the brand name is not important - He thinks it is. The final image is all that matters.

It is not the brand name that makes the artist - IT IS THE SKILL of that ARTIST !!

It has nothing to do with brand names of the camera, or the type of pencil or the type(s) of brush you use to create the work of ART !!

Not one of my paying customers has ever asked me in 40 years - which camera did you use? They are focused on the pleasing results.