Thread: I caught my first fish after Iraq.

Default I caught my first fish after Iraq.

As many know my right hand was seriously disabled after an Iraqi IED,. I recently went to Cabo for a 4 day wwp seminar and leadership conferance. well... during a 5 hr downtime I hastily grabbed 2 other wounded soldiers and we booked a last inute half day charter.. and we caught some fish..

and all three of us hooked up at the same time ,. so my arms were worn out nbonetheless.

so i just wanted to post these and thank those who gave me the motivation to go out there and try somethoing i thought i would never do again.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

First off, Thank you again for serving. I see you boys had nasty weather. Fishing looked just rotten too. Thank you so much for sharing the pics and keeping us up on your recovery here. Great jobs guys
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Congrats, brother! So when are you going to be ready for a hunting trip?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Fish looks very familiar to me. It reminds me of Jack Crevalles, of which are caught in the Gulf of Mexico. Did you notice that when the fish hit, your drag screamed and the fish attempted to change zip codes?

Congrats not only on your fish but your service to our country, too.

I'm always ready.. I'm going to try and fish the klutina on the 15th with my father in law.. I'd love to get some swamp donkeys and tundra cattle in my freezer for the winter. (it's going to be a long one)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Fish looks very familiar to me. It reminds me of Jack Crevalles, of which are caught in the Gulf of Mexico. Did you notice that when the fish hit, your drag screamed and the fish attempted to change zip codes?

YES these things are not funny.. i felt like i was trying to surface a VW beetle..

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post

Amberjack

Thanks for the job you do. We all support you.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by nategr View Post
    Amberjack
    ^^^What he said^^^ Jacks are fun to catch as well though.
    A good warning is not to leave your rod unattended in water that holds them either. My buddy learned this the hard way, a quick flash and splash then that rod rocketed off the dock, skipped across the water for about 30 feet and vanished!

Thanks for your work in Iraq. Looks like you had a good time, glad to hear you are getting back to doing the things that you like.

Default Congrats...

Nice fish! BTW, definitely jack crevalle, not amberjack.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ^^^What he said^^^ Jacks are fun to catch as well though.
    Nate and LuJon,

http://home.gci.net/~akwataxidermy/amberjack.html

Notice this taxidermist is from North Pole, Alaska? What do
    Alaskan's know?! (Of course I'm teasing...)

A few years ago I was throwing a cast net into the Freeport, Texas, surf and landed many little fish I thought were "baby pompano." Then I began to wonder about crevalles and amberjacks, too!...Remember that Crevalles have the dark blotch on their gill plate whereas Amberjacks do not. Then again, this guy was fishing in Baja, California, and I know next to nothing of
    the differentiation between their Pacific cousins vs those I've caught in the Gulf of Mexico.

Jacks are fun on trout rods....Its a fun way to get spooled each and every time.

Welcome Home!!! I am truely sorry for the price you had to pay to serve our great country but am glad to see that you are moving on and enjoying life. My thanks to your familiy that also had to sacrifice while you were away. I hope you have a positive transition back to your home life. Looks like its been going good so far with the Cabo Trip. Congrats on the fish!!! If your ever in Seward and you see "DanielleRae at the Army Resort Campground, stop in and I'll take you fishing.

Thanks for Serving!!!!!!

Default Great photos

Awesome fish! Thanks for sharing your adventure and for your service!
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Nate and luJon.... sry it is the Jack Cravelle .. you can notice the difference in fins and color. I had no idea what it was and after the captain said it was a jack cravelle (in which it was difficult to understanbd him) I kept saying it was a jack krussel,lol lol

http://www.magnificentrelief.com/Fis...ish%20Page.htm

Thanks for sharing the pictures of you and your buddies with fish and of course like so many others have already said, thank you for your service. We all get to sleep easier at night knowing you guys are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Nate and luJon.... sry it is the Jack Cravelle .. you can notice the difference in fins and color. I had no idea what it was and after the captain said it was a jack cravelle (in which it was difficult to understanbd him) I kept saying it was a jack krussel,lol lol

http://www.magnificentrelief.com/Fis...ish%20Page.htm

gotcha,

just looking for the distinct yellow on the bottom and didnt notice it.

Nice catch by the way!!! Makes me miss Florida a little.