Thread: Someone Stole my Shrimp Pots

Default Someone Stole my Shrimp Pots

Have you heard this before? Well today I got a little insight into this dilema. Heading across Port Wells this morning at 9AM my attention was drawn to some debris in the water (something we should all look for) as I got closer I identified one of the objects as a sea otter, in 200 fathom water, huda thunkit? Floating along right next to him was your typical shrimp set up BARELY VISIABLE, orange buoy along with a yellow tag buoy! Boy it looked like that buoy had all it wanted too, holding up what ever gear was dangling below.
    Being on a tight schedule returning this morning we just keep going and wondering how long that group of pots has been aimlessly floating around out there?

Please heed the advice offered regarding proper gear set up, this mess could end up on your prop!
    Mike

Yeah. I do think people have stolen a few shrimp pots, but I would bet about 90% of those peoples pots they think were stolen, were just set poorly and floated away or had a buoy too small to float their pots. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if you used the correct gear and set them in the right water depth, you should not have a problem.

We have found two different sets of pots floating in Port Wells - one with only about 100' of rope on it!

Extra rope costs so very little when compared to replacing the whole setup.

Default Found some two weeks ago

My parents were out a couple weeks ago and found a set just like that, buoy barely visible on the surface, floating the shrimp pot set around Nelly Juan. They had a little time, so they hooked onto it and towed the whole setup into shallower water where they could tell it was sitting firmly on the bottom and copied down the GPS coordinates. They recorded the information from the buoy and called the guy the next day to let him know where the pots where. Needless to say, the guy was happy since he had been missing that set for over a week I think.

Even if you don't have the time to take care of them at the time, it helps if you can get the information from the buoy and at least give the owner a last known location so they can have a better chance at finding it if they go to look.

Default Lost pots.

Always let out more line then you think your going to need, and also alittle more weight in your pots might help your pots stay put and from floating away from strong currents.

This is another interesting twist to the stole pot issue. Since some are inclined to shoot first and ask questions later, I am inclined to not touch someone's floating gear. The idea of dragging it to somewhere shallow is a good idea, and what I may do now if I came across some gear, but this makes someone go back out and hunt for their pots, and then get pissed at you if they don't find them. It seems like the right thing to do would be to pull the pots and bring them back if they are labeled with a local address, but I would never do this now based on all of the comments about people getting their gear stolen.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Maybe we can talk Ben over at the parking lot in whittier into having a lost/found shrimp pot dump??? Drag'em in and just pile them up there and maybe the owners will be able to find them there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

once you start to recognize the buoys that are riding low and floating some pots you see them everywhere. after shrimp season is over i have seen lots of them around logging camp bay. something to do with the currents. if you think you're pots were stolen just look around following the depth contour they should hang up at. you will probably find them.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I thought someone had stole one of my pots but then remembered when we dropped it my buddy through out the whole shot at one time in a coil. My friend is a commercial crabber down in Crecent City, Ca. He told me to set another pot right on top of that bad set and let it soak for a couple days. I did what he told me to do and sure enough when I pulled that last pot it had the lost pot tangled in the rope and I got my lost/stolen pot back. He told me they do that on crab pots and usually get them back. The tide currents swing the ropes back and forth and they tangle. It was a pain in the but to untangle but I didn't lose my gear and I was a happy camper. I keep my pots weighted good enough the buoys won't float them.

Mike