Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Areas/Ethics

Default Hunting Areas/Ethics

What do you think is ethical? What would you do with knowledge of certain excellent trophy hunting areas? If you gained this knowledge by "working for a guide" in the past. He decided not to pay me for most of my work, as he has done to others in the past from what I have heard.

Most of these areas are in his areas. He uses his Dad's areas as his own so he really has twice as many areas as one guide is allowed. He only uses these areas for part of the season. I really have no respect for this person after him putting the you know what to me and others, but I don't want to stoop to his level either.

Would you hunt near or maybe in these areas for yourself?
    Would you hunt "his" areas after he was done for the season?
    Would you tell others so they could hunt those areas?
    Would you keep mum and just go find totally new areas?
    What would you do?

If I had any documentation of him using two guide areas, turn him into the troopers

I would hunt in or near the areas but not right on top of him
    I wouldn't wait but hunt the area anytime
    I wouldn't tell others and ruin it for mayself
    I'd be open to other areas but if this one was very productive why?
    See first line

Goose send me the coordinates and I'll let you know what I'd do, LOL.
    Paul

Default bearclaw67

sounds like a heck of a plan. give me a minute and I'll get em out of my 496

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

after reading the original question.....

sound more like you are asking us YOUR ethics....

what do feel is right.

an eye for an eye... or get even.. which is better...

if the man did not pay you there are better ways to assure he no longer collects pay himself..

and then after he has gone out of business... there is no qualms on whether or not it is okay for you to hunt there.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Is it public land? If so, go hunt.

From the wording of your post you may be getting to his level pretty fast. If you have proof he has done wrong you should have reported it when it happen but at least you can report it now.If its your backyard hunt it and if not I would move on JMHO

Alaska's BIG.

Hunt where you want.

Call the Wage and Labor folks in Juenau and get paid.

Tell the truth, and then forget about 'em.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The guy owes you money and won't pay up? Give him a two piece to the grill piece. Telling others to hunt the land is passive agressive at best. Take the high road if you can. After you beat his *** that is
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default My view

I wouldn't tell where his camps were either but I might send a letter to hunting reports and just explain that you were not paid for services rendered.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I think under normal/good terms, I would still do some work for this person. Therefore if I wanted to hunt myself, I would do so when and where it was ok with him. If nothing else just out of respect for him.

Alaska is big and there are many areas.

Now, having no ties to this person, other than knowledge gained while working for him. Is my knowledge his "property" and if I used that knowledge would that be considered "stealing"?

Or
    This is public lands, non-private landing "strips", beaches, ridges, etc. I scouted out many of these landing areas and did the clearing while working for him. They just happen to be in his/his dad's guide use areas.

I would never hunt on top of anyone, period. On the other side of the coin what is the line between "on top of" and "adjacent to" on public lands? You know this guy is going to flip out and talk me down simply at the sight of me or my plane.

Knowledge gained while working for an employer, such as OJT and official training programs is NOT the property of the employer. Employers concerned with employees leaving with knowledge gained under their employ will make reasonable efforts to assure employees stay with, or return to their employ.
    If what you describe is true, this employer is more concerned with his bottom line, and less concerned with keeping reliable employees and the knowledge they gain of his area.
    No guide has exclusive rights to his guide areas. If I was a regular employee of a guide biz, I would likely keep my knowledge to myself. Keeping competition in the area down would be in my best interest as a regular employee. Once I no longer worked for that biz, I may be inclined to hunt that area, or possibly let friends know of the area. Depends on how I felt about the biz after I left.
    I have a hard time believing there is much that is "secret" about this area. If a guide biz is regularly pulling trophy type critters out, likely it is well known. I can see landing areas may be somewhat secret.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Did you sign a non disclosure agreement or was there a no-compete clause in your contract w/ him? If so then you are bound by it, if not then there isn't much the guy can do legally. Ethically that is up to you. I don't think I would fly in somewhere and taxi up next to his plane to start my hunt but if the area is open and on public land then I certainly can't see much to stop you.

Wink

You could always write a book, sell the locations to highest bidder, plan others hunts for them by sending them to these locations and charge them a fee or do the right thing and let the locations be known to hunters like yourself. The internet is the best way to connect with your peers. Sharing information is good, profiting off of it is not.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If he had paid you, would you be asking any questions on this forum?

Smile ethics are an individuals character

From what you have said about not paying you for work, a few questions have to be brought up as to how were you hired in the begining. Did he say he would pay you? What was your wage? Did you volunteer expecting he would pay you something? If you hire an employee for a dollar amount per hour or salary or % of profit, you must pay!! Dept of labor doesnt make exceptions to this. So why does that question need to be even related to the fact that you know of a good hunting spot now.

I personally would feel like an a?? if i was hunting in someone elses camp when i was showed where a good spot was, and wasnt hunting with that person. I keep my mouth shut when it comes to good areas, but enjoy taking someone along that is ethical enough to keep my spot secret so that we can enjoy time in the field together.

Get your money thru the labor board and move on to your own meat mine. Its a better story anyway than telling someone your going to go hunt in another mans camp. If you cut out landing strips for him, go cut one out for yourself is a better idea.

it does Sounds like you did alot of elbow grease for him, do a little more now that your in better shape physically and thank him for the experience you have gained.

My neighbor has dogs that bark all the time, parks on the grass across the street from his own house, snowplows his dog crap pile across the road, has junky dead cars and makes the place an eyesore. I have better ethics than that, thats what makes us different. I complain about the crap he pulls but he doesnt seem to mind at all.

Good luck and do what you feel is right, you should probably call me though because my areas suck, but there still fun to hunt imagining something huge walking out someday.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Did you sign a non disclosure agreement or was there a no-compete clause in your contract w/ him? If so then you are bound by it, if not then there isn't much the guy can do legally. Ethically that is up to you. I don't think I would fly in somewhere and taxi up next to his plane to start my hunt but if the area is open and on public land then I certainly can't see much to stop you.
    If it's public land, dosen't matter much if he signed a disclosure, it's all but useless at that point. So many ways to get around that anyway. I would hunt it, but I'm also a fly by the seat of my pants kinda guy. When I work, I get paid, one way or another. point is, if it is public land, it is public land.

I would leave the emotions out and hunt there if you wanted to and forget about the guy. life is to short! It would be unnecessary IMO to go out of your way to harm the guy like I said life is to short. I am always looking for a great spot! you are welcome to PM me..LOL
    but by all means if you want to hunt there or send a friend there I would have no problem doing that even if he was an outstanding guy.

Ya I guess I really didn't need to put the no pay part in there. I know what goes around eventually comes around. I really don't worry about it, but if I said it didn't chap my hide I'd be lying.
    That really wasn't what I was asking. I was more interested in the would you hunt or send someone else to hunt a spot or area or near an area that you Knew of from when you worked for a guide.
    Not looking for any confrontations. Not only would that ruin my hunt, but I wouldn't dream of tainting some innocent paying client on his probably once in a lifetime AK hunt.
    Thanks for your viewpoints

Default if it's public land...

...then you have every right to hunt it. it's not his pvt property you said.
    if you tell a bunch of folks about it it won't stay the quality area you describe now.
    and along with what martentrapper said, i would guess he shouldn't be too surprised to see you around since he apparently didn't treat you like you thought he should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast