Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing a Halibut run

Default Doing a Halibut run

Ok. I have read all the posts here on these fish and my question is!

Which area is the best to go to for Halibut? Whittier, Seward or Homer.
    And any guides youd recommend that will give a fair deal. My sister got a rate from AFishHunt out of Ninilchik for $190.00 for a full day, Halibut only. We might go but Id like some comments on them if anyone has any and also if anyone knows of any better deals for a full day charter.
    After I catch my 2 limit if its still early, Id like to try and catch some Rockfish or salmon or anything else so Im not sitting on the boat bored but when I spoke with the Charter they said that they probally would only allow me to fish after my limit on butts if I paid more.......

Whittier will be the most expensive because the boat ride will be longest. Go Homer. You can do a half day deal for like $125 and go out and get your fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Homer for Halibut, just try to find a good captain too many just take you out to a chicken hole. Seward if you want a good combo trip.

Are you able to catch anything else out of Homer if you get lucky enough to land a couple nice Butts fast?

My personal opinion on Afishhunt: Don't use them. I was not impressed. Went out with them for halibut off Ninilchik. They took us to what they called "the chicken hole." They did not seem to care that we wanted bigger fish then chicken halibut, they only seemed to care that we got our limit as quickly as possible. I believe we were back on shore by 1 pm. Is that really a full day charter like we paid for? We could have trolled for salmon or something...instead they treated us as an inconvenience to be gotten rid of ASAP.

If they aren't going to give you a full day charter, I think they ought to pro-rate their price for bringing you in early with tiny fish. They weren't even willing to try a different hole, because they knew we'd limit at that one, even if they were small. What? If I keep 2 15 lb fish, when I could maybe catch one 100 pounder, which option is going to give me more meat and excitement??

Just my $0.02 on them

Well My main focus is on getting some nice size fish. I know that with that kind of investment you dont wanna just settle for 20lbers. Some people would but Im not 1 of them.
    I have only lived here 2 months now but I am here for good and I love the area. I really want to catch some nice fish so please consider me a local and let me know who to contact to get a great Halibut experience with a side order of any other fish lol!

[QUOTE=fishinbud;531197]Ok. I have read all the posts here on these fish and my question is!

Which area is the best to go to for Halibut? Whittier, Seward or Homer.
    And any guides youd recommend that will give a fair deal. My sister got a rate from AFishHunt out of Ninilchik for $190.00 for a full day, Halibut only. We might go but Id like some comments on them if anyone has any and also if anyone knows of any better deals for a full day charter.
    After I catch my 2 limit if its still early, Id like to try and catch some Rockfish or salmon or anything else so Im not sitting on the boat bored but when I spoke with the Charter they said that they probally would only allow me to fish after my limit on butts if I paid more.......[/QUOTE]

Now that line really gets me (the bolded one). To me, that's a sign of someone who has absolutely no interest in the fishermen he's taking out, only in getting his money.

My suggestion: go to Seward and use a jig while fishing. If you do a straight halibut trip, it'll run you probably $50-60 more than the $190 you've been quoted. While jigging, in many halibut areas out of Seward, you stand a great chance of hooking lingcod, yelloweye rockfish, and black rockfish. And if the boat has salmon rods onboard, why in bejeezuz would they try to charge you more if you wanted to use one if others are still fishing??????

Here's my latest trip out of Seward. It was a lingcod/halibut combo, but during my jigging, I pulled in a limit of yelloweye rockfish (2). This in addition to two halibut and two lings. Then, since I was done, the captain gave me a salmon rod, cut some bait, and in short order I had two black rockfish (for a 4-fish rockfish limit) AND a limit of three silvers. My buddy did the same and got his black rockfish and a couple of silvers.

Now the above trip was slightly exceptional (for me, species-wise), in that I was the only one to catch all those species limits on the boat, but with the better outfits in Seward, it isn't so far fetched. And, it's very common for all those species to come aboard the boat, at least. And any skipper worth fishing with will happily not only let, but help you catch additional species if available, if time allows, and certainly if others are still working on their target specie's limits.

Enough of a rant from me, but I've fished with captains whose interest is clear, and it ain't about doing the fisherman right or doing everything to make it an exceptional day for all. And I've fished with those who DO do those things, and they are who get my money everytime, now.

Ok, just saw your last post - Call Profish-N-Sea or Crackerjack and hope they have an opening (didn't see a date you were looking at). Others are good, these guys are the best I've seen. Check Profish's website, they got 1st and 2nd place in the Seward halibut derby, and brought biggest fish honors on 11 of the 30 days of the derby (June).
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I did get a response in a PM from Alan with Crackerjack. Seems like a great guy but his prices were way outta my range for catching fish. Too bad since hes been mentioned alot here and seems like the man to go with. I have made up my mind to not go with AFishHunt since that comment was made about probally wanting more $$. Sad that that seems to be that CO's only motivation. The price was accurate of $193.00 since my sister is a military wife and they were giving her a discount. Her husband is over in Iraq until around Xmas time and she wants to try to enjoy her summer B4 it goes away and Im trying to help. She cant really just drop everything to hop on a boat cause she has a 5 and 8 yr old. My daughter is 7 so between the 2 of us, its a lilttle hard to figure out a good trip for us to enjoy when we have to consider the kids also. Too expensive to bring them with on the boat. So making sure we get onto a great boat that will help us get fish is the priority since its probally the last run we can make this year. But we want to do the same trip next year as well B4 they leave to texas so whoever gets us a good charter this year will have us plus her husband next year as well.

Default Salmon Heads for the Chicken Hole

Bring sockeye heads to use as bait on your next "chicken charter".

Tell the guide company when you book your reservations that you plan to bring sockeye heads so that you have better chance of catching larger fish. The really little ones are not able to swallow the sockeye heads. Now if your charter says "no way" when you make your reservations........ then you know you will be on the chicken express for sure............

If they say "OK", then bring them and use them on a few poles.

if you head west you can catch rock fish and lings out of homer, a little early for silvers but they should be showing up soon, its too bad a lot of the charters just head out to the closest chicken hole and then want to come back early,they should leave those chickens alone and target decent fish in different areas, they keep having to run farther out as they wipe out the populations they have done this in seward and its happening in Homer, its a shame some people spend hard earned money for a trip of a lifetime and come back earley with a very small bag of fillets

Default east not west

east around the corner for rockfish and lings out of homer after a few bad trips I got my own boat. what are your dates? I like taking people out once in a while if they pay for fuel.

Seward offers the best variety on a "combo" charter. The combo is more expensive because the boat needs different gear to target the different species and they need to move around, using more fuel, to find the fish. In addition, when you get home the crew spends more time cleaning the fish. But, that being said, on a combo you will see more scenery and have more fun. Halibut fishing can be boring. Salmon & rockfish are far more active, fun to catch and just as good eating. On the combo you get a shot at 1 ling cod each, 4 rockfish (including 1 non pelargic), salmon & halibut. The limits are dependent on if you are in the bay or outside.

I don't know who Nickster was fishing with but the limit is 1 ling & 4 rockfish including 1 non pelargic (yelloweye). He must have been fishing someboduy elses limit.

Try Miller's Landing in Seward for fishing & lodging. They work hard to catch fish & have some affordable, but rustic, housing & camping available as well. It is not a drive from Anchorage and back in 1 day kinda deal. Relax, avoid the traffic & enjoy the experience

Default big fish

Everyone always wants to catch the big fish - that is the nature of fishing. If you really want your money's worth of fish - go to the fish store and buy some. You will most likely get more fish.

If you are serious about getting the bigger fish - you typically need to book way in advance on the more expensive charters. They go further and fish longer and harder and because of this they charge more.

The cook inlet rips would deter you (at times) from using the salmon heads. Last weekend we were using 5 pound weights to get to the bottom and then it would not stay there. When the tide slacked we "dropped" down to 4 pound weights.

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    I don't know who Nickster was fishing with but the limit is 1 ling & 4 rockfish including 1 non pelargic (yelloweye). He must have been fishing someboduy elses limit.
    East of Cape Fairfield (Prince William Sound) the limit on lings is 2 per day/ 4 possession. Many of the Seward boats run out around Montague, which is in PWS, so you can catch 2 lings.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default my $.02

If you also want to catch a rocks, ling, salmon (especially), etc, then I would recommend going out of Seward. But as mentioned, you typically pay a bit more for the combo due to more gear and more gas and more knife work. But if you also want to put a bunch of meat in the freezer, I think it's nice to have some variety. Some days I really feel like ling or rockfish over halibut. Keep in mind, though, that big fish (usually) take time so if you're holding out for the big one it's going to cut into the fishing time for the other species.

I had family in town a few weeks ago, so I booked a charter out of Seward. We went with Puffin Charters - total price with taxes and fees was $295 a person. Limited on ling and halibut, came real close on rockfish, got a bonus silver (pic attached). Caught some decent halibut in the 30 to 40 range, could have probably added more that size, but we spent a lot of time on lings and rockfish and had to be back in Anchorage at a decent time, so finished out the 'but limit on some smaller fish. I will say that the captain and deckhand worked hard for us and they've got my recommendation.

That said, I usually fish out of Homer. I have a buddy with a boat down there so typically go with him for my personal runs. If you really want to focus on halibut, I think Homer is the way to go. But you gotta tell the captain if you want big fish - typically it's quality or quantity and the bigger fish take more time.

As for ending up on a chicken hole, no one says you gotta keep every fish you catch. Keep throwing the little ones back and maybe the captain will get the idea (and get tired of rebaiting) and move to look for some better fish.

Salmon heads are always a great idea. Personally, I'm all about jigging. more active fishing, and you never have to check your bait.

You can get on some good rockfish and ling out of Homer, but as mentioned you generally have to go around the corner and down southeast. Course, there's some halibut lurking down there as well. Over the 4th we were down there ling fishing, and we were actually jigging for rocks at the time and my buddy caught a 250 pounds halibut (going by the chart - 77 inches gives 244#, plus the 10# and 5# pound rockfish in her belly )

The tides can rip in the inlet, but it just depends on the day and the location. Ling fishing all weekend over the fourth and fishing for halibut this past Sunday I never had to go with more than a 24 oz leadhead to stay on bottom. But I consider that as good as it's going to get.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Has anyone fished with Alaska Coastal Marine out of Homer, are they chicken holers or do they treat you pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Once again, the limit toward Montague, I forget the actual line as described in ADFG regulations but it's all PWS waters, is 2 LINGCOD, and 4 ROCKFISH of which 2 MAY BE NON PELAGIC. This has been noted several times in several recent threads talking about fishing out of Seward. Fishing with Profish-N-Sea, by the way.

(ok, I'm being redundant...didn't see Wyo2AKs note above)
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Talking

Yakutat, short boat ride, calm seas, and BIG halibut!
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

I stand corrected on the limits if fishing out of PWS

Default whittier

www.alaskan4starcharters.com

Captain Jody Mason will take very good care of you. He's not chasing chickens. He will make recommendation on keeping the fish you just brought up, based on how the day is going. Some days you won't keep a fish under 50, and others well.... you'll end the day short of that mark. I will say that he's going to work his @$$ off to get respectable fish on the boat.

Whittier is a day trip. That's why I like it, I can't take 2 or 3 days off for one day of fishing and I can't do a suicide trip to seward or deep creek anymore. Work committments $UCK!! So, I wake up at 430 leave the house by 510 and am waiting on the 630 tunnel. On the water heading for fishing grounds by 730. at fishing grounds between 930 and 10. back at the doc between 5 and 7. Drop fish @ Fee's custom seafood & eat dinner across the street. Pick up fish and I'm home by 10pm with fish in the freezer.

Give jody a call, explain your situation and what you want and see what he has to say.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast