Thread: Uganik Island and Terror Bay

Default Uganik Island and Terror Bay

I won a fall bear permit on Kodiak. I've checked on cabins, They do the lottery in Feb. I guess I should have been more diligent I've only not drawn this permit for 10 years.

I've got some calls in to transporters.

But in the meantime does anyone have a lodge or transporter in the area they would recommend.

Thanks in advance
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I don't know where the boundaries are for your tag, but I have been up on the lake above the west side of Terror Bay between it and Port O'Brien. Great campsite above the alder line. Seahawk Air took me in there and they were fantastic. Lots of bear sign in there, but I was there in August and they were all down on the fish on the Terror River.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Congrats

Glad to hear you drew a tag.

Default floating cabins

Used to be one of the air taxi's had a floating cabin anchored at the southeast corner of Uganik Is. They had a skiff there you could use to get around. Can't remember which taxi it was tho and don't know if it's still there. Someone may be able to give you more info.

Does that unit include the Kodiak side of Uganik Passage to East Point? I used to setnet there and there were some big bears we'd see. Had a close encounter of the smelly hairy kind in the edge of the alders one time while deer hunting there and that bear was a monster.
    He's not there any more as that was in 1986, but I'll bet he passed his genes along.

I booked the Wildlife refuge cabin on Uganik. Booked Seahawk air to fly us. Bought a raft, borrowed a motor. Got the ferry Schedule all checked out. Now I just need to schedule that 10 footer to walk into an open area 100 yards away from me while I'm on a small hill with back up.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default Uganik Bear

I have hunted out of the cabin you will be staying at for the past several years and could pass along some good info about bears in the area. Email me at tfeller@bbfm.com and I will give you a call.