Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lookin for a few bunnies

Default lookin for a few bunnies

running around sutton last weekend wasnt very productive for rabbits, any ideas on other locations?

I'm going to try Knik area this week. I will let you know.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

From what I've seen, this is a very good rabbit year. The problem now is, they are just about impossible to see because of the snow on the ground. Maybe it's just me and my old eyes!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Seeing them isn't the problem for me it just I shoot when they zig instead of zag.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Last week I shot two out here on ft. rich and they were both still brown with light gray mixed in. Suprised the heck out of me because im looking for a white one when this monster comes hopping out of the tree line!
    Steve

went ou toward talkeetna,found a million tracks.So we got out and start milling around in the woods .We jumped 4 but only were able to get 1.Mainly because we dont wait for the zig or the zag,we just wait for em to stop then pop them in the head.More fun ,and bit of a challenge.

Talking rabbits

Here's a couple, but I guess I got to them first...................good luck lookin'
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow that does make them hard to see..

Headshots are definitely challenging...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenJ View Post
    Last week I shot two out here on ft. rich and they were both still brown with light gray mixed in. Suprised the heck out of me because im looking for a white one when this monster comes hopping out of the tree line!
    Steve
    Where on Ft. Rich? I've been out there twice in the last two weeks and didn't see anything. Was out in 2B by Clunie Lake Saturday and saw a few tracks but no poop or pee signs not to mention no fur. Saw a lot of what looked like coyote, fox and possibly wolf but only a few rabbit tracks.

The weekend before Nov. I saw a few rabbits out in the Knik area. They were almost jet white but still visible. They were just waiting for a ride back to my place, but I was trying to keep quite while calling for coyote. The past couple of years have been banging with rabbits around knik.

I headed out my next week off. Hopefully I can run into on or two bunnies.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Question What's the secret??

Ok Guys, I know I am new to Alaska (April 2006), but I have been huntin rabbits since I was 10. Thats 26yrs. Anyway, I am having a hard time finding the furry critters. I don't use snow shoes, and I always hunt areas with lots of tracks. Is it that I am just not used to seeing them in white, or what? Any help would be nice. I live in Delta Junction, AK. Thanks

Default Delta

I've had some good luck around the Delta CW River area. I've seen them within about 50 yards from the bank.

Default South

Last September we had great luck around Donneley Dome.

point mac has been very good for rabbits last two weekends

Default just anywhere out at point mac?

i didnt think the cover was right for rabbits out there, probrably why ive never ran around out there

i'ts been preatty good all around, although alot of areas have a lot of trees and brush makes it a fun challenge though

Is there any way now to access Barley lake(if I remember right that is the lake name). Where I use to drive now sits a house right there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default barley lake

from what I found you have to drive between the house and his barn. looks like you are going to his barn. Then park in the round spot. Go down the steep hill. Not the hill that used to be there, this one is steep. Went to try for ducks there this year. The guy was out and didn't say anything but as I looked over the edge I noticed a new house. Not sure if this is the right way but the only way I figured. Go to ADF&G web site go to valley stocked lakes and it tells you the same way, It also mentions the private property surrounding the lake. Needless to say after I saw the other house sitting behind the big house where the old hill used to be I left. There were 8 ducks on the pond. Oh yeah as you look across the lake you will see a private property sign that is about the size of a sheet of plywood.

I'm still working out hunting areas and laws. What do you have to do to hunt on Ft. Richardson?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast