Thread: RC566 Tier I Caribou

Default RC566 Tier I Caribou

Did anyone else notice that the number of permits is much lower than in the recent past?

Default Tier 1

Yes, and did you notice the 'home' towns listed?

i noticed that it definitly wasnt near the 3,000 they have given out in the past.

AK Bearcat I did not notice anything unusual about the home towns, most were from Anchorage and the Mat-Su valley as I would expect. Did I miss something?

Default Home Towns?

I drew a RC566, and I'm super happy about it. I did not put in for the community harvest permit, as I don't want any part of that. I probably could have legally justified it, but not worth it. I live in Kenai, work in Anchorage, and live 67 miles from Cantwell on the Denali Highway. I was counting up days, and I have equal number of days so far this year in each location.

I'm glad to see it go to an open draw for residents. I've been here most of my 41 years, and my dad hunted the area in the early 60's on through. I've never qualified tier II, simply because I refuse to lie even a little on the application, even though I know it would have got me a tag.

I'm going to check the regs for that hunt, but If it's legal, I'm going to have my son "Bob" shoot the caribou. He's 6, and he's a great shot with a .410 and .22. Is a .410 with slugs legal for Caribou? Hope he can shoot it right off our deck!

So what did my home town say? Kenai, Cantwell, or Anchorage?

Good Luck Hunting all!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Denali... any youth can hunt on your tag.. as long as it counts aginst your ticket. i forget the page off hand but it is plain as day... let the kids hunt.!!!! it changes when they are required to have a license....

at age 10 a youth is allowed to have there own tag with out a license OR they may hunt under yours.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Cool deal!

I can't wait to get him in front of a caribou! They run right next to the lodge all the time in hunting season, so it shouldn't be a problem. We had 5 killed by people just drivng by on our property last year! I'll have to make him work for it though. Make him hike a couple of miles back in the Clearwaters so he appreciates the hunt.

Here's a pic of Bob with his first kill last spring. We just got it back from the taxidermist last month. It really came out great. The taxidermist had it freeze dried, and I thought it would look crappy, but it's amazing how lifelike it is. Only cost $350. I'll get a pic of that up here soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Tier 1

jlinell
    Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against any one that was drawn for the caribou in Unit 13. You are correct in that there are the normal home towns listed. But in looking at the listing ones see several from the Kenai peninsula. I hope that these are not planning on hunting moose in 'their' locate areas. Here are some of the home towns that caught my attention: Douglas; Lincoln; Haines; Skaway. I sure hope that these are not people just putting in for the hunt and not planning on hunting for the caribou here. It is taking away 'meat' from those that might be able to put it to better use.
    Tier 2 was/is flawed and I would like to see it go to a draw like most other hunts. Those that live on the 'road' system are all equal and should have the same chance for this game resource.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    jlinell
    Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against any one that was drawn for the caribou in Unit 13. You are correct in that there are the normal home towns listed. But in looking at the listing ones see several from the Kenai peninsula. I hope that these are not planning on hunting moose in 'their' locate areas. It is taking away 'meat' from those that might be able to put it to better use.
    Tier 2 was/is flawed and I would like to see it go to a draw like most other hunts. Those that live on the 'road' system are all equal and should have the same chance for this game resource.

Sorry bear cat i see something wrong with these two statements.. perhaps a clarification is in order....

Here are some of the home towns that caught my attention: Douglas; Lincoln; Haines; Skaway. I sure hope that these are not people just putting in for the hunt and not planning on hunting for the caribou here.
    These are all Alaska towns why would hunters in these towns be any different then hunters from Anchorage, Wasilla, Fairbanks.. ECT....

Those that live on the 'road' system are all equal and should have the same chance for this game resource
    and this portion implies that those other Alaskan towns ... listed above all in southeast AK being NOT on the roadway are less then or should not be considered equal to those on the road system with more realistic access?

sorry if i am reading that incorrectly ... but that is how it is coming across...

Thanks Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Tier 1

Some times things do not go down in writing as they are in ones little mind.
    Anyone in the State can and should put in for any hunt they want. What I was trying to imply is that if one is putting in for a substance type hunt, that maybe they should also be looking at the economics of the hunt. There are area that I would like to hunt in, but the cost of getting there and hunting out weigh what I MIGHT be able to harvest. I am sure that there game that can be obtained a lot cheaper/easier then going several hunders miles.
    Ones hears alot about the cost of food in some area. Yes it is more costly in some areas, but those living on one of the road systems have ways to help off set that cost. I know people that pool together to make a trip to Anchorage to one of the 'box' stores. They make a big haul for several people and they share the cost. While this may not work for all, it is an option.
    My wife used to live in Bettles, and they ordered their food to be flown in once a month. So yes those that do not live on the 'road' system should get a little break.
    I know what some are going to say 'hunting can be more expensive then buying meat'. You are correct, but we process all of our game they we are able to harvest and know what is not added to it. Even if the game did cost more, with in reason it is worth the expense.
    Bottom line, Tier 1/2 is not the answer for Unit 13 caribou.

Default If it is any satisfaction

Those folks winning a Tier I RC566 permit are not eligible to hunt caribou or moose anywhere but Unit 13. This also extends to members of their household. I bet a lot of people did not bother to read that little detail.

So those folks from farther away might be a little disappointed

Folks that draw the unit13 bou hunt can only not hunt caribou and moose in any other GMU. I imagine this isn't a large sacrifice for those in SE Alaska as there isn't a large amount of 'bou and moose to begin with . Besides they can still hunt the deer and goats in their area. The caribou they got from unit 13 is just icing on the cake.

Default Read??

Well, dang it all.. I knew I should have stayed in school to lern't to read.. We tier 1 winners ain't that sharp.... heh heh!

Happy hunting all!