Thread: DI403 info... after the kill

Default DI403 info... after the kill

Okay, so I know these are big buggers, I took one in Montana a couple years back. Luckily we had help getting it to the truck then paid a guy $100 to skin it and quarter it for us. We then took it to the butchers in 4 quarters and let them take it from there. About a month later, I had 660 pounds of meat being shipped back to me in Alaska. $340 for processing and $660 for shipping is about what it came out to.

What are your suggestions for handling the bison after the hunt? We are thinking of taking it right over to Delta Meat and Sausage (I think that is their name) and having them process all of it. Do they age the meat? Is there an estimate on costs for basic steaks/burger cuts for a bull/cow bison? Do they hang and age the meat for a week or two before processing? Any other places that you would suggest?

We do our own moose and caribou each year, but with the bison, it would be nice to hand it off and be able to toss it right in the freezer. Gotta support our local businesses too.

Default Bison

Beautiful animal. good luck on this next one.

Default South Dakota

I'm not sure about Alaska but I have a buddy who is going to hunt bison in South Dakota. I'm driving home from Wyoming a couple of days after his hunt.

The bison is going direxctly to a processor and then I'm bringing home the frozen meat. That's definitely what I would do if I was hunting bison in Alaska.

BTW, that's a really nice animal. I saw a live one on Kodiak in 2006 and they are HUGE animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post

What are your suggestions for handling the bison after the hunt? We are thinking of taking it right over to Delta Meat and Sausage (I think that is their name) and having them process all of it. Do they age the meat? Is there an estimate on costs for basic steaks/burger cuts for a bull/cow bison? Do they hang and age the meat for a week or two before processing? Any other places that you would suggest?
    Delta Meat and Sausage does a good job. I have had them process several animals for me including a bison. They have a website that should include basic pricing information you are asking about. www.deltameat.com

Default Delta Meats

Have used them for bison and moose and they do a great job. One suggestion; call before your hunt and talk with them. They will have suggestions along with times for drop off that will help you after the kill..................

If you have any experience with doing it yourself, do it. It is not tough. We processed the bison I shot last year in about the same time as a moose.
    "One Last Cast"

Default bison vs. moose

If you can do a moose, you can do a bison. No worse in my experience and you can usually back your pickup right up it. If it dies in the woods you'll have to skin and quarter it anyway.

Never used Delta Meats or any other for that matter, but have heard consistent good reports.