Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft Rich moose

Default Ft Rich moose

I drew the either sex late hunt. Has anyone hunted that before? I am in Kodiak and it is going to be tough to scout.

scouting isnt going to be your problem - knowing if you will be able to access the hunting area's when you are in town will be the bigger issue. Its a GREAT tag if you are local, not so much if you are from out of town. Finding Moose on FT rich shouldnt be a problem at all

Access is the big stickler. You will know where you want to hunt only to find it closed day after day for training. There are lots of moose and you will likely run into a lot of people, especially early on. If you can go during the week that usually helps. Is your tag for the north or south of eagle river?

Default ft rich moose

as far as I know, it just says Ft Rich

if your bowhunting its south of eagle river, muzzleloader is north of ER and is north post only i believe....bowhunting you will have access to hunting north and south post as long as there not closed for training. you will need to get a ft. rich recreation permit from the front gate. the bad part is, is that its broken up in numbered units and you have to call in what unit you will be hunting in every time you go out ..this automated system also gives you a list of what areas are open and closed for the day..its a great hunt, i drew dm424 last year and had a blast. this year i drew dm427 which is the late hunt. if you have any questions just give me a shout , i still have my map from last year with the units on there, if you would like to do some early scouting just let me know and i can take you around and show you all the units.

Default Live and work on ft rich

Guys,

I drew the late permit as well and live and work here on post. Training shouldn't be an issue since 80% of the Soldiers are currently deployed and the hunt also takes place during the holiday season. I picked up a current hunt/recreation use map yesterday and would be happy to scan/email to anyone that needs one. regardless of what's closed, there's plenty of moose availability. If you're looking for meat only you definitely won't have an issue.... Also plenty of young and old bulls roaming to keep your blood pressure up....

Let me know what questions you have or what assistance you need and I'll do my best to help you out. I'll also have three solid months to scout and I don't mind sharing data.

Goody

Default Training / Recreational Map

Goody,

I have the trusty laminated Ft Rich. training map from my days on the inside of the fence but I don't know if it has the same designations as the map your mentioned. This is the first time I have been drawn for this hunt and am just beginning to do a little prep work. I would assume I should be able to get out on the ground before the end of the summer and do a little scouting for the late hunt. How do I go about getting a copy of that map? Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Default cant wait to get out and look

i drew 424 and have very limited knowledge of the base...i have the next two weeks off so i plan on doing some scouting.....does anyone have a contact number or anything to find out which areas are the archery ones and which arent exactly....i went in and got my user trak card the other day but the guy at the gate was little help with this sort of info...i plan on doing mmost of my hunting in late september into october...hopefully i'll have some good info for you 427 guys just before your hunt
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default USARTRAK website link

Check out the following website for further info re: recreational access to Fort Richardson, etc.

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...C_USARTRAK.htm

Default Good link to explain what the RAP is...

Outstanding link to explain the RAP and the process. I am currently in Denali but will return home this weekend. Once I get home I'll scan the training area map, which is decent but not to scale and also get you guys a good point of contact for topo maps. Most likely I can obtain several that have the training areas overlayed on them but I can't promise I can get mass quantities. Let me see what I can find out and I'll let you know..

Goody

Default Thanks for the info

I was also lucky enough to draw DM427 this year and will be reading every tidbit of information you guys are able to share. I live down in Soldotna and don't travel to Anchorage too often. That will definitely change this winter.

This moose season I'll be helping others fill their tags and concentrating on caribou and mt. goat.

Thanks, maybe I'll see some of you on a scouting mission,
    Tim

Default sharing

it is good to see that people still help other hunters out. it is not like this is someone's secret sheep basin. thanks for all the help.

Does anyone one know when they will hold the classes?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default draw supplement

in the supplement it says that shooting proficiency will be held august 22 and 29th...both saturdays....for info call 384 3909
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    in the supplement it says that shooting proficiency will be held august 22 and 29th...both saturdays....for info call 384 3909
    So they are doing the shooting portion again.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Going to be interesting....

Not sure where they'll hold it. The archery range here on post is just about as lame as I've seen...

I'll do some homework tomorrow and call the number that Shark mentioned and let you guys know something. Just curious, did they hold the muzzle loader classes one day and the archery on another? Also curious as to how they expect some of the folks from out of the local area to come up/down for just one day to demonstrate they can do something they've already been certified thru the state to do???

Default Ft Richardson Maps

I tried to post the training/recreation area map for Fort Richardson but the file is to large for the forum. If you want a copy please email me at douglas.goodwin@richardson.army.mil and I'll send you one.

Goody

Default Ft Richardson Maps

Let me try it again.... I changed to file type in hopes of being able to attach the files. Let me know if you have issues viewing them...

Goody
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Guys,

I drew the late permit as well and live and work here on post. Training shouldn't be an issue since 80% of the Soldiers are currently deployed and the hunt also takes place during the holiday season. I picked up a current hunt/recreation use map yesterday and would be happy to scan/email to anyone that needs one. regardless of what's closed, there's plenty of moose availability. If you're looking for meat only you definitely won't have an issue.... Also plenty of young and old bulls roaming to keep your blood pressure up....

Let me know what questions you have or what assistance you need and I'll do my best to help you out. I'll also have three solid months to scout and I don't mind sharing data.

Goody
    I bet that whole post is quiet about right now... Everyone better enjoy the calm, come Feb and March of 2010. That calm will be out the window when we all start showing back up from Afghanistan. The saving grace for all the people who put in for these tags is that 4/25 usually heads to DTA, YTA and NTC for training. With that training by 4/25 will never really shut the areas down on Ft Rich. If they did then everyone with these tags would be crying saying they Army is screwing them much like the folks in Fairbanks do when 1/25 does thier training in YTA during moose season. Best of luck to everyone that drew the Ft Rich tag and happy hunting...

Default Waiting on your return...

I doubt you guys will make life any more exciting when you get... The only change that I see happening is the DUI sign at the front gate will steadily have the numbers changed... Plus you won't have to much BS time due to having to get ready to go again a year later. I also plan on PCSing some of the ones that's overstayed their welcome....

You'll also be heading to Afognak to chase down that elusive elk next year and won't need a moose.... Both brigades could hurt our moose hunting next year due to the training dates ligning up pretty good with the moose season. I guess we can always look for somewhere new and give it a try.... Who knows, maybe I'll retire and let you have it all this time next year... Doubt it but there's always the chance..

Stay safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast