Thread: Attn: Kenai River King Vets

Default Attn: Kenai River King Vets

This weekend I caught a hatchery/clipped king on the kenai. I didn't want to keep it, as it was only about 15# but that thing doesn't need to spawn. Have any of you Kenai Veterans heard or seen a hatchery king on the kenai. I thought it might be a Kasilof stray but it was a chromer. You would think a hatchery fish from the Kasilof would have some color on it especially a buck. I have talked to a few guides I know, and they have never heard of such a thing. Heres a pic of it also.

Klickman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Couple senario's.....

Quote Originally Posted by klickman View Post
    This weekend I caught a hatchery/clipped king on the kenai. I didn't want to keep it, as it was only about 15# but that thing doesn't need to spawn. Have any of you Kenai Veterans heard or seen a hatchery king on the kenai. I thought it might be a Kasilof stray but it was a chromer. You would think a hatchery fish from the Kasilof would have some color on it especially a buck. I have talked to a few guides I know, and they have never heard of such a thing. Heres a pic of it also.

Klickman
    Could have been mistaked for a juvenile coho and fin clipped by ADFG on the Moose river... This is not unheard of... Could have been a stray from any number of plants in Cook Inlet, Ninilchik, Kasilof, Ship Cr, or Homer. The fact that is is so bright, I would likely assume it to be a Moose R fish... USFWS has observed 4-14 fin clipped chinook passing their weir on the Funny R the last three years.

Where did you pick the fish up at Beaver Crk.?

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Could have been mistaked for a juvenile coho and fin clipped by ADFG on the Moose river... This is not unheard of... Could have been a stray from any number of plants in Cook Inlet, Ninilchik, Kasilof, Ship Cr, or Homer. The fact that is is so bright, I would likely assume it to be a Moose R fish... USFWS has observed 4-14 fin clipped chinook passing their weir on the Funny R the last three years.
    Well that makes me feel a little better. I was concerned that it was a stray hatchery brat. Hopefully its was clipped on the moose by mistake, we don't need any stray brats in the river. Thanks

KLICKMAN

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Where did you pick the fish up at Beaver Crk.?
    Thats a secret. We were the only boat in this hole, and we don't want anyone there. I guess I could tell you just don't tell anyone its a well kept secret, It was caught at Chicago.

KLICKMAN

Default The secret is out

Thats a secret. We were the only boat in this hole, and we don't want anyone there. I guess I could tell you just don't tell anyone its a well kept secret, It was caught at Chicago.

KLICKMAN

That's funny.

It was caught at Chicago.

KLICKMAN
    Really... looks like the Kenai to me.

Did you happen to see Obama or Blagojevich while you were there?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Hard to tell from pic, but

My guess is that Ty nailed this one... probably a Mooser...

It can be difficult to distinguish between a chinook and coho... Were the spots on both lobes of the tail? Were the gums white or black (they look white in the image)? These are general rules to tell the difference...

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Now thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

There is nothing better than a king that size for grilling! The belly meat is just right for smoking. Keep those and let the hogs go.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

I did see Obama he says hi and not to worry he's gonna fix the healthcare issues for ya

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    My guess is that Ty nailed this one... probably a Mooser...

It can be difficult to distinguish between a chinook and coho... Were the spots on both lobes of the tail? Were the gums white or black (they look white in the image)? These are general rules to tell the difference...

Hope that helps,

Cheers
    I'm pretty sure it was a King, here are a couple more pics of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Might have misunderstood...

I'm pretty sure it was a King, here are a couple more pics of it.
    For a long time ADFG had a massive coho smolt adipose fin clipping project goin on in the lower moose, the adult where recovered throughout the commercial and sport harvest and in two fish wheel in an attempt for a rough estimate of abundance and understand age and time of migrations for coho in the Kenai. Chinook smolts would have understandibly been incindentally clipped and mistaken for coho, that is what we think you caught.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    For a long time ADFG had a massive coho smolt adipose fin clipping project goin on in the lower moose, the adult where recovered throughout the commercial and sport harvest and in two fish wheel in an attempt for a rough estimate of abundance and understand age and time of migrations for coho in the Kenai. Chinook smolts would have understandibly been incindentally clipped and mistaken for coho, that is what we think you caught.
    Gotcha, Thats what I thought you meant, I miss understood akfishguide. Thanks again.

KLICKMAN

I did see Obama he says hi and not to worry he's gonna fix the healthcare issues for ya
    I'd just like to be able to use my own medical judgment, write on my own PAPER charts, and be paid a half-a.s.s.e.d fair price for my bread and butter procedure. Obama can keep the change.

Either that or get forced into retirement and become a Kenai guide.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

HAHAHAH thats funny. Yep give up the doctor buisness we all know guides make money hand over fist and they get to fish everyday, what a life.

KLICKMAN