Thread: 686p

Default 686p

I got a shot at a .357 S&W 686P for a good price from a friend. I heard some of them had problems with the extractor star/rod coming loose. Anybody have personal experience with this model, good or bad?

I've had this problem on a few different smiths. You just have to keep the extractor rod tightened. Sometimes they tend to work loose.

I think that problem was just with the older guns. The ejector rod now has left hand threads which is supposed to keep them tight under recoil. I'm not sure when they were changed to left hand thread ejectors but I think it was in the 1980s or before. It should be ok now on the newer L frame guns.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MCJonas View Post
    I think that problem was just with the older guns. The ejector rod now has left hand threads which is supposed to keep them tight under recoil. I'm not sure when they were changed to left hand thread ejectors but I think it was in the 1980s or before. It should be ok now on the newer L frame guns.
    Sure seems like a solid piece. It will be for my better half. If she likes it after shooting it, I'm going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Sure seems like a solid piece. It will be for my better half. If she likes it after shooting it, I'm going to get it.
    I shot K frames in competition for many years using mostly 38 special. In later years I got a hair up my hiney and shot bowling pin matches with them using mag ammo. The M-19's were shooting themselves to pieces after a few thousand rounds. Along came the L-frame 686. No more shooting loose, and in fact it was easier to shoot rapid fire with the stock barrel than some of my 19's with custom bulls. In the years since I quit shooting matches my various 19's have migrated to other shooters, but I've still got three of the 686's in the safe. They're going to be passed on to my grandkids, because I'm never letting them go.

Three guns doesn't prove a rule, but I've got to say that those 686's "took" action and trigger tuning better than any 19 I've ever owned, too. It was just easier to get the perfect doubled action trigger with them somehow. No way to put numbers on it, but in my hands anyway, the 686 is better than any other Smith I've owned for tuning and double action shooting, and Smiths are good in the first place.

I bought a 4" ex-fbi (allegedly) from some dude on 24hourcampfire. That thing is accurate, and a real sweetheart. Highly recommended.

I owned a Smith 586 (the blued version) in the '80's. It was my duty gun for four years. I put a couple thousand rounds through it, both at the police academy, and during twice-a-year qualifying, and it was 100% trouble free. I only stopped carrying it when the township no longer allowed us to carry our own sidearms, and provided us with H&K P7M8's. I honestly felt just as well protected with the wheel gun and speedloaders.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanJeff View Post
    I owned a Smith 586 (the blued version) in the '80's. It was my duty gun for four years. I put a couple thousand rounds through it, both at the police academy, and during twice-a-year qualifying, and it was 100% trouble free. I only stopped carrying it when the township no longer allowed us to carry our own sidearms, and provided us with H&K P7M8's. I honestly felt just as well protected with the wheel gun and speedloaders.

Jeff
    I did buy this gun and I have not regretted it a bit.