Thread: First Trip to Alaska Seeking Advice On Guide Services

Default First Trip to Alaska Seeking Advice On Guide Services

My father and I are planning on a flyfishing trip to Alaska this september. I was wondering if you can give me recommendations on flyfishing travel packages/guides and what location would be good introduction to fishing in Alaska.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BRIANinDIGITAL View Post
    My father and I are planning on a flyfishing trip to Alaska this september. I was wondering if you can give me recommendations on flyfishing travel packages/guides and what location would be good introduction to fishing in Alaska.
    Alaska is a HUGE state. Are you coming to South Central. South East Etc Etc.

Where your going and if you have a place to stay or not depends alot on what you can do. We all would be more than happy to help we just need a little more info.

Guide only
    Guide and place to stay
    Fly in or road system.
    Budget is also info that can help us here help you plan your trip

chuck
    Im not busting your chops but your post was very vague. I would do the Upper and middle kenai then. It is on the road system and can be fairly economical. If you have good funds you fly out and there are alot of GREAT streams and lodges with guides to put you on huge fish both trout and bows

Just my .02
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

As Chuck says up top, more info is needed to better help you out. Lots of options man. Well, "lots" doesn't even touch it. TONS of choices. My thing is remote float trips. Bush plane drops you off, you float/fish/camp for 7-14 days, he picks you up and you go home with a big smile that fades months later. No better way to see Alaska in my opinion. I know several rivers you can do very safely assuming you have a basic skill set. Nothing overly dangerous for folks that are properly prepared and informed. Not sure what you are looking for, but if you have any interest in floating a remote river, shoot me a pm. If applicable, I am happy to help. To give you an idea, below are some assorted pics from our recent trips...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default fly fishing guide

reelflyadventurez.com

Default Well...

I'll take a stab at this...

First, travel anywhere in Alaska beyond the city you land in (Juneau, Ketchikan, Anchorage, Fairbanks) will cost you.

Start point 1: Suppose you're staying in the Anchorage area to fish somewhere in driving distance. Here are some possibilities to help you get a handle on this trip - which is coming up real quick.

Option A). Call Denali Anglers, Tri-River Charters, or Mahays in Talkeetna. Research or schedule guided fishing days up the Talkeetna River. Inquire about lodging options. There are fine to rustic lodging options in Talkeetna. Camping will cost you unless you're bringing gear. I'm not sure there's even an outfitter in Talkeetna.

Option B). Call one of the many guide services working the Kenai River. You'll be fishing amongst (many) brethren. But the fish can be as fine as you could hope for.

Picking one option and sketching out a plan (use info from the guide's website, or call them) will give you a basis for comparison. From there, you can consider other possibilities. Consult the experienced and genuinely helpful guys on this forum for more info.

Start point 2: If you want to fly out from Anchorage, your options...and costs will grow. There are excellent places to fly fish across Cook Inlet, especially in the Lake Iliamna area, or further along Bristol Bay. You'll be adding several thousand clams to fish there, but the remote settings might be worth it. Depends on what you're looking for. But pick an area, Lake Iliamna for instance - then post questions for more information.

Start somewhere. Research possibilities. Draft a plan (airfare to Anchorage (or other) -cost to/from bush destination-cost for lodging-cost for guided services/gear-cost of licenses-food-tips. Draft a couple. Pick the best fit for you and your Dad.

Some guys will post like this: "I'm considering a fishing trip to the Lake Iliamna or Bristol Bay region to fly fish with my Dad. Our goal is to enjoy fishing a remote stream together/catch big Rainbows/finally see Alaska...Which location/guides/lodges would you recommend?"

Get going. I think this year's been slower for booking trips, so you might have that going for you - but the clock's ticking. Good luck.