Thread: Eklutna Lake Trail

Default Eklutna Lake Trail

This topic may have been covered in the past, so I apologize in advance. Anyone ridden around Eklutna Lake area this summer? I've never been there and with the 3 younger kids I am limited to short rides here and there, and I'd like to see some new scenery. How long should one expect to be riding in that area? Is it a quick trip to the end of the lake and back or is it more involved? Are there other trails around there that I should check out?

Any info is much appreciated.

Where is every one? This MTB section is dead!

It's around 8-9 miles to the end of the lake, then the trail continues another 3 miles up the valley after that. The trail splits a mile or after the end of the lake. I've only done the right fork which runs towards the glacier. The trail eventually runs out and there is a trail along the river. The trail eventually runs out before you get to the glacier. Really no other bike trails around the lake that I know of.

It's been a couple of summers since I made the ride. It's a nice wide flat gravel and dirt trail. The flat trail is easy on the legs but I definately wasn't used to spending hours at a time sitting on a bike seat when I went, sore groin for sure.

It's a good trail for kids. Bring a lunch and relax next to the lake. You can turn back when ever your kids start to wear down.

I did this trip with my wife in May. We went all the way back 12-13 miles and back out in about 3 hours. We took our time and still enjoyed ourselves and spotted severals bears on the hillsides. The first 8-9 miles to the end of the lake the trail is great. After that the rocks get bigger on the road and a little bumpy, but not too bad. Just make a day or half day out of the trip and enjoy the views (if this smoke would ever clear). Good luck.

Smile Eklutna

Pat:
    We hiked the first couple miles this Spring with two tiny kids. It was beautiful. We were there on a Sunday and it was packed. Mostly bikers and mostly families with kids on bikes or trailers. We were warned about bugs, but it was so hot and with a nice breeze we never saw a bug. But from what I was told it sounds like a breeze is better so the kids dont get eaten by bugs. Trail was basically a nice gravel road with beaches all along the lake to rest on!!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Cool

Thank you all for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    This topic may have been covered in the past, so I apologize in advance. Anyone ridden around Eklutna Lake area this summer? I've never been there and with the 3 younger kids I am limited to short rides here and there, and I'd like to see some new scenery. How long should one expect to be riding in that area? Is it a quick trip to the end of the lake and back or is it more involved? Are there other trails around there that I should check out?

Any info is much appreciated.

Where is every one? This MTB section is dead!
    There is some good riding out there. Take it to the bridge about 8 miles out and then head up to the Bold peak over look on foot some killer views!

RMK

Default At least I know what was in the pack

Great Pics. I haven't ridden up there in several years. Last time out, my wife got two flats back at Bold airstrip.

I had a spare tube and replaced the punctured one. Oops, I forgot to check the inside of the tire. The little shard of metal that caused the first hole, quickly caused a second.

That one had me in the dog house for a while. She wasn't thrilled with the 8 mile walk out. At least it was a nice fall day.

I see my real problem was I didn't pack right. I forgot the proper refreshments.