Thread: Buying A Chronograph

Default Buying A Chronograph

I plan to buy a chronograph but with my lack of experience with such equipment I don't know which one to buy. I do know I want a LCD readout on the bench, simple to setup, and a printer is not necessary. With that said has anyone used this chronograph? Any recommendations or comments on the Chrony Aplha Master?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=306796

Default speed

I checked out midway and that chronograph did seem to be a nice unit. I'm looking for a new one myself. One of the guys that reviewed them stated that he bought two and there was a 2-4% difference in them. That would make me loose a bit of confidence in it. Has anyone ever heard of having a chronograph calibrated? I think it would be a nice thing to be able to have done. I wouldn't mind sending one off once a year or every other year just to be certain it is accurate.

I use the CED (an older one) and it is great

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I plan to buy a chronograph but with my lack of experience with such equipment I don't know which one to buy. I do know I want a LCD readout on the bench, simple to setup, and a printer is not necessary. With that said has anyone used this chronograph? Any recommendations or comments on the Chrony Aplha Master?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=306796
    Thats what I have pack up very small and in use has a phone cord say 15' long and a small read out for you r bench. Does ave vel, std div, high/low and something eles i have never used. I made a excel spread sheet to do al that to for my records. Need a camera tripod as well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    I checked out midway and that chronograph did seem to be a nice unit. I'm looking for a new one myself. One of the guys that reviewed them stated that he bought two and there was a 2-4% difference in them. That would make me loose a bit of confidence in it. Has anyone ever heard of having a chronograph calibrated? I think it would be a nice thing to be able to have done. I wouldn't mind sending one off once a year or every other year just to be certain it is accurate.
    Comparing two chronographs side by side and getting a 2% differential is not important. That could be within the variation of the ammo itself. They have no way of knowing if the ammo was changing from shot to shot or the chronographs were out of calibration or just on the opposite side of the tolerance range. As their barrel warms up velocity changes. Temperature changes will also play a factor here. Take the chronograph out of the car and set it up and start shooting and as it sits in the sun and warms up the readings will change a little bit.

Since there is no way to easily get a standardized projectile going at 2000 or 3000 feet per second the way these are calibrated is electronically. A standard signal is input into it that represents a certain speed to the electronics. Then the units are adjusted to read the speed of the input signal. This is factory type stuff.

The bottom line is that if they are agreeing within 2-4% using live ammo as a test standard they are doing fine. For the purposes of testing your ammo taking the average of a 3 or 5 shot run will likely minimize these errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack49 View Post
    Comparing two chronographs side by side and getting a 2% differential is not important. That could be within the variation of the ammo itself. They have no way of knowing if the ammo was changing from shot to shot or the chronographs were out of calibration or just on the opposite side of the tolerance range. As their barrel warms up velocity changes. Temperature changes will also play a factor here. Take the chronograph out of the car and set it up and start shooting and as it sits in the sun and warms up the readings will change a little bit.

Since there is no way to easily get a standardized projectile going at 2000 or 3000 feet per second the way these are calibrated is electronically. A standard signal is input into it that represents a certain speed to the electronics. Then the units are adjusted to read the speed of the input signal. This is factory type stuff.

The bottom line is that if they are agreeing within 2-4% using live ammo as a test standard they are doing fine. For the purposes of testing your ammo taking the average of a 3 or 5 shot run will likely minimize these errors.
    Velocities can be accurately measured using doppler radar and/or other time of flight measuring equipement while shot through the chrony at the same time. Chrony's can be set up in line to get relative comparisons also. Not hard to do.

This probably doesn't apply to a lot of readers of this thread but a 1% difference in a bullet traveling 3000 fps = 30 fps error. To a long range shooter, that equates to 5" differnce in POI @ 1000 yds.

Also, some handloaders use MV to determine their max loads a 3% difference = 90 fps, which is one reason I dont use chronographed MV's to determine my max load.

In any case, it should be easy enough for manufacturers to accurately calibrater their equipement. I believe CED has a good rep for accuracy.

-MR

I placed my order for the CED M2 today. Expensive lil bugger, If I listen hard enough I can hear my wallet screaming in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I placed my order for the CED M2 today. Expensive lil bugger, If I listen hard enough I can hear my wallet screaming in pain.
    How do you like it?

I purcheased the CED M2 from the advice of Water Gremlin and love it. Had it out to the range about 4 times this fall and not had any problems with errors. Simple to set up, use and extract the data. I will warn you though, getting a chrono opens up pandora's box. You'll be shootting, and experimenting more so it's going to cost you more then just the chrono. Get one you won't regret it.

The most important thing to remember about a crono is, your scope line of sight is typically 1 1/2" above the bullets line of flight.

I managed to keep from killing mine with a direct hit, but experiments with gas checks on plainbase bullets to see how fast I could push a 310 gr bullet from the 480 did kill my shooting crony. I got alot of use out of that crony, and for $50 for a refurb it was well worth the $. Oh, a .475" gascheck @ 1400 fps hits just hard enough to dent the face of the chrony and kill the electronics, in case you wanted to know.

Good tip Paul H.

A direct hit from a 600 grain bullet at 2300 fps is rather spectacular. I actually shot mine when practicing off-hand. After that, I painted black aiming marks on the rods. And bought the coupling rods to make the bullet track higher.

I bit the bullet recently and bought a primo condition Oehler 35P with all the accessories. Now I just need a case to protect it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I've had my CED 2 to the range three times and so far I'm happy with it's performance. Right out of the box I had a problem but eventually resolved the issue. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=60393

I'm disapointed with how flimsy and cheesy the main unit feels and looks. For a $200 unit I expected a higher quality housing and better QA QC. Otherwise I like how the CED2 has worked at the range.