Thread: 460 reloading for bears

Default 460 reloading for bears

i'm new to alaska and new to the 460, but have been reloading for years. i'd like to work up loads pushing large meplat casts (360-395 gr) at slower speeds (~1200fps) in a 2.75 inch smith. i don't need the long range velocity, and i gotta believe a slower heavier bullet will do the trick while being more manageable. (am i wrong there?). there seems to be some discussion as to which primers to use in the 460-- large rifle vs magnum. anybody smarter than me have any suggestions where to start?

What primer you use is more about the powder in front of it. If I load H110/W295 I want mag primers for positive ignition, most other powders do fine without mag primers.

I pack 395 grain hard cast over 36.5 grains of Lil-Gun and gets me 1600fps from my 4” 460V. It should rock a mad bear’s world about like a 45-70 and that is what I want. I would guess this load would get about 1200fps from a 2-1/2” gun and backing down to 35-1/2 or 36 grains should get where you want to be. You may want to try faster burning powders like 2400 in your snub and see what you get over a chronograph.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i think the issue was rifle vs magnum pistol primers, not magnum rifle. i don't think you're saying you use magnum rifle primers are you?

I don't have any experience with the 460, but I use reloader 17 with magnum rifle primers in my 450 Marlin with very good results using hardcasts. Ballistically, the 460 Smith and the 450 Marlin are not far off. You might give that a shot. I realize I'm kind of comparing apples to oranges here since I'm reloading for a rifle, but I've been very happy with that combo.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I use only rifle primers for the 460 due to the very high pressure, pistol primers are not strong enough for 460 and 454 top end pressures of 65,000psi. So yes it's large rifle mag primers I use in 460s with H110/W296 powders.

I have a couple pounds of RL-17 that I have been wanting to try in my 308s, interesting idea for a 460 powder. I do think it’s a tad slow but Lil-Gun and H110/W296 are on the slow end for most handguns also. Anyone have a burn rate chart that shows RL-17 yet?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Anyone have a burn rate chart that shows RL-17 yet?
    I couldn't find one, but This chart should give you a rough guess. Since Alliant's powders have a slower burn rate with each successively higher number, I would say it's safe to assume it falls between RL 15 and RL 19, which fall into positions 129 and 143, respectively on the chart.

From Alliant's web site pertaining to RL 17: "Similar burn speed to IMR 4350 with added velocity."

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

H 110 and W296 are 71 and 72 on the chart. RL 17 is quite a bit slower. Probably wouldn't get adequate combustion out of a sub-3" barrel with that. Might be a consideration for the XVR though.

I just shot off some 405 gr. hard cast BTB 460s some loaded with rl7 and some with scott 4100 with good results. But with no chrony I couldn't tell you how fast they were moving , but my hand sure is sore

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    I just shot off some 405 gr. hard cast BTB 460s some loaded with rl7 and some with scott 4100 with good results. But with no chrony I couldn't tell you how fast they were moving , but my hand sure is sore
    How much RL17 are you loading under your 405s?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    How much RL17 are you loading under your 405s?
    He said rl7, not rl 17. 7 has a significantly faster burn rate than 17.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    He said rl7, not rl 17. 7 has a significantly faster burn rate than 17.
    So he did, I blurred the L into a 1 somehow. Thanks for the heads up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default I dont have my manuals with me

Quote Originally Posted by radman-tn View Post
    i think the issue was rifle vs magnum pistol primers, not magnum rifle. i don't think you're saying you use magnum rifle primers are you?
    I beleive the 460 uses large rifle primers or large rifle magnum primers not the large pistol primers ! I know the .454 casull calls for small rifle primers !
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

Quote Originally Posted by KCASEY View Post
    I beleive the 460 uses large rifle primers or large rifle magnum primers not the large pistol primers ! I know the .454 casull calls for small rifle primers !
    Yup yup! I do have some 454 brass made from my old 460 brass that takes large rifle but you are 100% correct.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't have any experience with the 460, but I use reloader 17 with magnum rifle primers in my 450 Marlin with very good results using hardcasts. Ballistically, the 460 Smith and the 450 Marlin are not far off. You might give that a shot. I realize I'm kind of comparing apples to oranges here since I'm reloading for a rifle, but I've been very happy with that combo.

I realize this is dragging an old thread up, but in the interest of preventing a dangerous situation - It is reloader 7 I've been using, not reloader 17. I'm not sure why 17 was sticking in my head but I was wondering how it could work at it's burn rate. Turns out it doesn't. I just got home on R&R leave, and discovered reloader 7 on my loading bench, not RL 17. RL 7 has a good burn rate for the big-bore straight-wall cartridges and I've had very good results with it. I hope noone used RL 17 and I apologize for the incorrect information.

I realize this is dragging an old thread up, but in the interest of preventing a dangerous situation - It is reloader 7 I've been using, not reloader 17. I'm not sure why 17 was sticking in my head but I was wondering how it could work at it's burn rate. Turns out it doesn't. I just got home on R&R leave, and discovered reloader 7 on my loading bench, not RL 17. RL 7 has a good burn rate for the big-bore straight-wall cartridges and I've had very good results with it. I hope noone used RL 17 and I apologize for the incorrect information.
    Welcome home!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

LOL, thanks! I'm getting ready to take my son out after some big game. Just bought a meat trailer today. I learned my lesson about them a couple of years ago while trying to help drag a moose out of the woods using a trailer that still sits where it broke.

I'll be using the .300 Win Mag this trip though - Arctic Custom guns still has the .450 Marlin. I'll be punching holes in meat with it soon enough though. Using RL 7 of course.