Thread: bullet tips wanted

Default bullet tips wanted

Is it true that bullets are hard to come by? I was told people have been buying them as fast as they hit the shelves and that prices have gone up.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for specific manu's, rounds, and where I can find bullets available for my new .460? I will be looking for .45 colts, 454 casulls, and the .460's.

Not sure what my SC dealer has, they are not open Mondays, but I thought I should be prepared with some tips from AK hand-gunners before I go tomorrow to pick up my gun.

Thanks,

Mike

If you plan to shoot alot I would buy a reloader and stuff to reload. I would bring a couple hundred rounds of cheap plinking stuff in 45 colt. I would also bring a couple boxes of good power 45 colt,454 casull and 460S&W. You will probably shoot way more 45colt in the gun than the other rounds.

My dealer said they have no .454's or .460's.

Anyone know where I can find these online or by phone order?

Thanks,

Mike

Midway had some and you might try doubletap

Thanks, I'll call them!

Mike

Okay,

Midway online has the Car Bon 395 grain available, and a couple other bullets.

Confusing, but if someone could explain the factors to look for and/or avoid for bear protection using the .460, I would appreciate it.

I read here that the hard cast is better than soft, but I'm not certain of the ideal grain/size, except that the heavier is more likely to break through bones.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by arcticmike View Post
    Okay,

Midway online has the Car Bon 395 grain available, and a couple other bullets.

Confusing, but if someone could explain the factors to look for and/or avoid for bear protection using the .460, I would appreciate it.

I read here that the hard cast is better than soft, but I'm not certain of the ideal grain/size, except that the heavier is more likely to break through bones.

The reason you want a cast bullet of relatively high hardness is because the S&W .460 operates at such high pressures. You want the heaviest bullet you can get for your .460 loads because you'll be using it for bear protection. Because of this, you don't want an expanding bullet (this limits penetration), and you don't want a lightweight bullet (also limits penetration).

I'd recommend you call The Ammo Shop. It's run by a great guy named Bob in Soldotna, but he makes periodic trips to Anchorage, and is always at the gun shows. I haven't called him in a while, but I believe the number is 907-283-6110.

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

I'll him a call.

Anthing 300 gr. and up will be usefull at some time up here and won't go to waste. Also they will be more handgun bullet than anyone ever had untill about 20 years ago when the 44mag ended its being the most powerfull handgun in the world.Heaver cast is prefered for protection but everyone fines what they can shoot best and hopefully never have to try them for real