Thread: A little help with Aialik Bay fishing?

Default A little help with Aialik Bay fishing?

I have been told that fishing in this area is pretty good and I should try it out. I will be in Seward for a week and would like to give it a go, but looking at my charts, this is a big area and I have never fished it.

Not looking for the super secret spots or anything, but I have family in town for this trip and would like to get the normal butts, rock fish, and Salmon. I am good on the silvers since I have several limits of them this year.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
    Tony

Anywhere outside the Cape is good...just fish the rocks and sandy flats...no different from inside. Paradise Chat, and other coves offer protection.

We tried fishing Chat Island and Cove last Friday, but just couldn't get into the halibut. We fished from 170-270 feet. I've heard 300' is a good depth for Chat cove, I suppose we should have headed into deeper water as we were fishing ~200'. We did end up with 6 rockfish and two lings. We'd already gotten silvers before heading out of the bay. Once you have a ling on board you can't fish in the bay, so consider getting your silvers before leaving the bay.

Silver fishing was slow but solid in the Chevall narrows. We arrived a bit after low tide so fished it for several hours while we waited closer to high tide before turning Aialik Cape.

Default Thanks for the tips

I will give the area a look and see what I find. Thanks for the insight.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Once you have a ling on board you can't fish in the bay, so consider getting your silvers before leaving the bay.
    Remember that you can only have three salmon in possession once you're outside the bay also . . .