Thread: The vet put my dog on Prozak.....???

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default The vet put my dog on Prozak.....???

has any one had any experience with anti anxiety meds, for dogs?

the vet was absolutely amazed at HOW well behaved he was laying on his leash.

i bet her that if we both walked out her office would end up in the dumpster......

and explained the 400 dollar chain link fence that is destroyed, the crate, and the seat( now seats after this weekend) that have been chewed

the fact that i have not go to the bathroom on my own in 7 months, and that if one kids, or all the kids leave the room he is nutsiode until some one sitting there settles him down.

so she gave me two options. sedative or anti anxitity.....

my concern is are there any chances of getting a hostile dog while he undergoes treatment. or is he going to be like a video game playing teen that resembles the cauliflower n the garden....?

any one have any THOUGHTS at all?

thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm not sure how the dog would respond to the medicine, but have you considered trying it out?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I'm not sure how the dog would respond to the medicine, but have you considered trying it out?

well Dean, fact is the doc tried me on an anti several years ago. to help with the chronic pain i am in...

after 6 days on 1/2 a pill Freddy Kruger and Jason. took to the hills because there was a new kid in town and he was the worst. i could not stand the site of another living thing. i HAD every Narcissistic side affect avalible.....so now i deal with pain and the OCD....not sure i am better for it. but at least every one KNOWS who i am today....

my own experience on the stuff is what brings out my concerns for the dog. i am MOST worried about it bringing out any aggressive behaviors with the lil ones in the house.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    so she gave me two options. sedative or anti anxitity.....

There is a third option......My old dog was named bullet, either he was gonna act right or get a "bullet". j/k
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

well Dean, fact is the doc tried me on an anti several years ago. to help with the chronic pain i am in...

after 6 days on 1/2 a pill Freddy Kruger and Jason. took to the hills because there was a new kid in town and he was the worst. i could not stand the site of another living thing. i HAD every Narcissistic side affect avalible.....so now i deal with pain and the OCD....not sure i am better for it. but at least every one KNOWS who i am today....

my own experience on the stuff is what brings out my concerns for the dog. i am MOST worried about it bringing out any aggressive behaviors with the lil ones in the house.
    I hear ya.

sent you a pm....

the fact that i have not go to the bathroom on my own in 7 months,
    Vince your sure the dogs the one with the issue
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Vince your sure the dogs the one with the issue

Maybe it is like a girl thing. You know when one goes, they all got to go. Wonder what he is in there talking to the dog about

Luv ya!!!
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

LOL well is the price i pay for being the smartestass around....

to make it short the dog tears at the door if i am on one side and he on the other.... he must know i am okay... and the funny thing is... when i iam in the shower he tosses the baby toys in too...

meet on face book here

Vince, I have two words for you

HE'S BORED!!!!!!!

You need to find that boy a job. A tired dog is a good dog.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

nope the dog is scared sh! tless to be left alone....is the most blunt way to put it....

meet on face book here

Yep its called separation anxiety. You need a tired, happy dog to help curb some of those things you described. He's a bird dog, bred to do a job. What kind of work does he have to do right now except being a pet?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

How much was the Vet bill?

Really tho my dog has'nt been away from me for more than 30 days total since I got him 9 years ago. He is a 3rd gen. choc. lab.

He messed up three times in the first 2 years ( taking off ) and each time I chained him up and left him there when I went about my buss. Talk about howling.Anyway the last time he did it left his ***** and went to town without him, and he has'nt been on a chain since. ( 7 years and nothing but" man thats a nice dog" or " can't believe he is so well behaved") Never beat him, allways played with him and have never had a better dog.

You have to get out and play with him Vince.

Funny story I was remodeling a school and He had to stay in the truck while I was working. Well I used to get there early and unlock all the doors, and I'd put a rock at the back door because it auto locked and it was where the workers came in, and it had about a 4" opening. So I go and let him out to do his buss. and I go about mine. I go out and was going to put him back in the truck and he is no where to be found. Searched for him for 2 hours, ( had the workers out to ) was really beside myself when I called it off, was talking to all the locals and figured I better go to my office to see if I still had a job. I was rewarded with him sleeping under my desk.How he got there I don't know, but he is super smart, and wanted to spend the day with me.

actually Rock the vet bill was part of his shot program... and the pills fell into the $4 walmart prescriptions

he has been on them nearly a week now and i am already seeing a large difference. in mostly his attitude for listening to me yet...

i still have to keep the bathroom door cracked open so he can see me or he eats what ever is there or sets up barking and yowling.

as far a bored? sorry deb long way from it.. your dogs can be put behind your gate at home. and whine at you.. this guy would destroy that room you have.

we have nearly $7,000 worth of damage to him not wanting to be alone. he can run 10 miles with the 4 wheeler and come home pass out and freak as soon as i sneak out doors again.

the attention growth this week i notice is small but noticeable. he stays with in reach... i have not had to use his collar to get his attention just the beeper on it. and he comes at a dead run... no more leaving the yard to visit the sled team he knows is a NO NO..

we spent 3 days at our place in clear and he was never more the 20 sec. away.. ( [snicker] the spoiled wiener dog got tied up)

he is only at half dose and i don't intend on pushing it any further, as i really don't care for medicating problems out of kids or pets. but i have to say so far... his edge is loosing up, so maybe we can train it out of him.

meet on face book here

Default Very interesting!

What breed is this dog Vince, how old now?

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Drugs

I tried to get drugs for our Saluki mix- sled dog wash out and the vet treated me like a junky. And same here, no amount of exercise fixes him. Though he is the fastest dog I have ever had, he does not retrieve so I have to get out there and move. He had a horrible experience being locked up in an apartment in Anchorage and he will eat his way through a crate, shred any bedding, and I've just given in to always having him with me or with another dog in a kennel for now but it can't go on indefinitely. This is my new plan going into winter.
    Exercise - I can always use the exercise and getting him to follow my bike is a new thing which I need to do rather then sitting here. I can get up enough speed for a good run. I was afraid to do it at first but he was really good at following, maybe from his sled dog days on a line. The Labs are another story, don't need to run so fast and I have to train them with the front wheel to never run in front. More exercise can't hurt any of us.

Crating- Short, very short stays in a plastic crate with treats in it, in another room. Even if it is 10 seconds but get back before he starts stressing, let him out, no treats outside of the crate. If I can't do that I'll keep the crate open and put high value treats like cheese in the crate for him. If he goes in and lays down after a few days close the door, put some more treats in the crate. If he's stressed he probably won't eat them. Go back to leaving the door open and try to work towards him being alone in the crate slowly.

Stress Coat- seems a little out there but Im going to try a dog coat that is snug around the chest and neck. They are called Thunder or stress coats. They sort of swaddle the dog. When I saw the article on them I remembered last year I put a Manmat jacket on him so he could ride with me on a really cold day (-10-20). Itís a snug, heavy sleeping coat the sled dogs wear. Unlike the loose coat he shredded he didn't chew on this one at all, over several hours in the car. Maybe itís like a hug.

We have 4 dogs now and I have had 17 over 30 years. The only dogs that I have had serious separation anxiety with are the ones who were abandoned. Whether abandoned by me with good pro-trainers for 5 months or abandoned by previous owners, it does not seem to matter. Somewhere along the way they get the idea that you are never coming back unless they freak out and of course that's when you do come back. I still don't really have an answer. Dugs are just a temporary band-aid and may wear off. Getting into these dogs heads has so much more to do with what we do and how we react. Changing ourselves is probably harder then changing the dogs.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sambar from Oz. View Post
    What breed is this dog Vince, how old now?
    He is a wired haired pointing Griffon. i have talked to a few other breeders and they all agree this is VERY uncommon behavior for the breed...

the one things that gets them all is that this breed has such soft mouth.. and this guy ate chain link fence to get out.

we did the crate training as Linda describes with the treats ... no good..

we got him at 4.5 -5 months old...

i do not know yet if he was JUST ignored as a puppy... he was not potty trained in any fashion. nor could he walk on stairs with out falling down them... it was like he was hatched and kept in the yard with enough attention to keep him friendly...

he is just now one year old that is why we are taking such drastic measures with him.. in hopes that it is NOT to late now...

the good new is ... he DID finally house train.. unless i piss him off and leave him alone... then all bets are off.

meet on face book here

Smile

Apologies for lateness in reply Vince.

Hope the dog is coming along better now?

We also have a German Wirehair Pointer, same as Griffon?, but he is super easy going. Has plenty of outside area to run, no car problems or road dangers. Is not allowed in the house ever.

Chases our resident under woodheap dwelling rabbits and the odd bird.

Has heaps of exercise, and loves stalking our Sambar deer from about May to October, our winter. The exercise part is crutial.

Chained up every night from say 6pm - 8am in Winter.

$7000 of damage, gotta be kidding Vince. Tie the bloody thing up outside and treat it like a dog!..........lol.

I wonder if you can borrow a similiar age dog for company for yours? The amount of playing they will do has got to have a good effect.

Did the vet/you consider castration, not something I like, but better than a lead injection.

Once again, hoping he's improved.

Good luck Vince.

He is a wired haired pointing Griffon. i have talked to a few other breeders and they all agree this is VERY uncommon behavior for the breed...

the one things that gets them all is that this breed has such soft mouth.. and this guy ate chain link fence to get out.

we did the crate training as Linda describes with the treats ... no good..

we got him at 4.5 -5 months old...

i do not know yet if he was JUST ignored as a puppy... he was not potty trained in any fashion. nor could he walk on stairs with out falling down them... it was like he was hatched and kept in the yard with enough attention to keep him friendly...

he is just now one year old that is why we are taking such drastic measures with him.. in hopes that it is NOT to late now...

the good new is ... he DID finally house train.. unless i piss him off and leave him alone... then all bets are off.