Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope Humpys?

Default Hope Humpys?

Anyone been over there lately? I want to take the kids over there next week and am wondering how many humpys are in the river. Thanks.

standdup

A friend was there last night, the 2 of them caught 30 in 2 hours around the high tide.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Does hardware work well in Hope?

I was there on Saturday, and I saw a decent number of fish. They were coming in with the tide, and there were a number jumping and generally splashing around on the surface. Enough that a seal came up into the mouth.

People were catching them flipping coho flies. (Some catching a good number). I tried for awhile with spoons and spinners near the mouth, and didn't get any.

Does anyone use spoons/spinners effectively in Hope?

I'd use the same things in Bird Creek and the pinks would bite consistently, but they don't seem to react the same in Hope.

Travis

Hmmm...after reading the other thread about Hope that's active right now, maybe I ought to re-direct my question to all of the 3 - 8 year olds that are catching fish in Hope.

They might be more my level of ability, anyway.

Was down there this afternoon and caught quite a few.

I agree, they don't really bite anything you throw at them, but there are LOTS of fish in the river.
    Flossing as you would at the Russian with Coho flies produced the best results, but I did catch one who bit a spinner (or at least I think...)

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    A friend was there last night, the 2 of them caught 30 in 2 hours around the high tide.
    What were they using? coho flies ? Spinners?

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

I was just there today. I flossed with various flies (coho, leaches, etc.) and all were successful. I just pretend like I'm at Bird Creek trying to catch silvers. If you go in there with that mindset there will be a humpy on the end of your line every time.

In my experience chances of an actual bite are much higher if you can find slower water. Once they are in fast current they seem to be all business. The creek in Hope doesn't have much slow water but when the tide comes in the lower creek will calm down somewhat and the fish there will start rolling and biting. I get most of my pinks on a Flash Fly with either pink hackle or pink marabou.

There were lots of pinks at hope last night and a steady stream of fish coming through. My roommate had never caught a fish so I took him to Hope. We had success with flies: coho, black wooly bugger, purple egg sucking leach, etc. In the slower water I was catching them without any weight on, just get a good drift. The pinks were not reacting to the coho flies, but some were chasing and activly biting the bugger and ESL. They were crome and a lot of fun on my 5 wt fly rod. Since mine was set up and catching fish I gave my roomate my spot and pole and started coaching him till he caught one. He hooked into about a dozen and a half but only landed the one. I spent most of my time coaching him so I only caught 5, but it could easily have been 20. 4 of the 5 I caught had sea lice on them. We were there from 8:00 till 11:30 last night.

My 3

My roommate's first fish ever.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

We will be headed down that way in a couple days. Last year we caught our limit with pixies. We went up toward the mouth and caught a bunch. I may take my fly rod this year and see what happens. The kids have fun there and the crowd is usually pretty friendly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLVN-ruiug
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Hello here,

I will be in Alaska July 22nd till August 3rd and I coming from Czech Republic and I have one question. The question is...do you think the fishing will be still good in the time I will up there?

Thank you very much for any info.

Thanks Zee

Quote Originally Posted by czech flyfisherman View Post
    Hello here,

I will be in Alaska July 22nd till August 3rd and I coming from Czech Republic and I have one question. The question is...do you think the fishing will be still good in the time I will up there?

Thanks Zee
    Yep!!!!
    The second run of Kenai reds is just starting to warm up.
    By the end of this week and into next I would expect it to be peaking, so your timing should be just about perfect.

Have Fun!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by czech flyfisherman View Post
    Hello here,

Thanks Zee
    If you are talking about hope in particular, then yes there will be lots of pinks there, but most will not look as bright as the ones in my picture. You will have to catch a lot, , to find a limit of bright ones.

Default Hope

Fished last night in Hope. Good numbers running. Low water makes it tough up-stream from the mouth. Find the pools.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by czech flyfisherman
    Hello here,

Thanks Zee

If you are talking about hope in particular, then yes there will be lots of pinks there, but most will not look as bright as the ones in my picture. You will have to catch a lot, , to find a limit of bright ones.

Hi Garnade
    Thanks man I realy appriciate it your info.
    Also I planing to fish Russian River close to falls and maybe the outlet of lower russian lake, what you think?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by czech flyfisherman
    Hello here,

Thanks Zee

Yep!!!!
    The second run of Kenai reds is just starting to warm up.
    By the end of this week and into next I would expect it to be peaking, so your timing should be just about perfect.

Have Fun!!!!!

Hi DRIFTER_016

Thanks man, so the Russian River will be goob bet too right?

And and want to fish Quartz Creek etc...

Thanks Zee

Durring your dates any where on the russian or kenai will be good. You might need to move up or down river a little ways to find fish but there will be plenty there.

So using anything other than a fly rod would be a waste of time?

They will hit spinners and jigs too, and lots of people toss flies with the spinning rod and a sinker. Just start with what you're good at, and change one detail at a time until it works.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinbud View Post
    So using anything other than a fly rod would be a waste of time?
    No, fishing with a spinning rod is worth while. You can catch them with a spinner or spoon, but it might be more productive with a fly. You do not need a fly rod to fish a fly. Tie on a fly, add a split shot or two 18" to 48" above the fly, then let out about 1 1/2 to 2 times the length of the rod in line. Flip the line up stream and let it drift down. Then flip it back up stream. You want enough weight to feel the weight tap on the bottom. If you do not feel the tap then you do not have enough. If you keep getting the weight snagged then you have too much. It helps to have a couple of sizes of weight to make adjustments. If you can see fish and are tapping the bottom but not catching at least one per 10-15 minutes then change the locations of your weights either closer or father from the fly. If you are still not catching them, try casting to a different piece of water from the same location. If all else fails move locations or seek advice from someone who is catching a lot. Good luck

Took the family down last night and got a couple limits. I was trying to get my littlest son into the fishing, but he was more interested in playing in the water (we went through three changes of clothes...lol. Luckily it was a warm, sunny evening.). There weren't huge numbers of fish yet, but if you found the right little seams that held the schools you could do well. Not too many people, either. It was a productive little evening trip, and the fish are still ocean bright and not in spawning form or color yet. I'll be smoking fish tonight.

Oh, and saw one fish caught that was considerably larger. Didn't get a close look, but I'd guess it was a silver or chum. Not sure what all runs in Resurrection Creek.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast